Customer Discussions > The Titanic Requiem forum

Titanic Requiem-

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Mar 2012 11:08:47 GMT
JAS says:
BBC review is appalling. Complete with full metal blinders on. I do believe Daniel Ross wrote this review prior to listening to the Titanic Requiem. Personally I found after listening, the mood set by the music was very passionate and moving. Something I have been listening to over and over again. Yes, I have a life- but every time I listen again, I am re-captivated by emotional energy, agony, despair, sorrow, the total catastrophe... Through this music, I feel I am there.

Come on Daniel, get your head out of your pompous, muted-eared arse. When at home and away from the real critics, give it a real go. You just might enjoy it!!

Judith Farrar

Posted on 18 Mar 2012 12:32:14 GMT
Titanic Requiem.
I have listened to the complete CD a few times now and even though its my first venture into classical music I find myself thinking about what I must have been missing in all my years.
After a few plays and when you get the feel of the complete CD it really pulls you in you in. I will be more than honest here and confess my reason for the interest in this venture is Robin Gibb. Robin lends his vocals to just one track and he doesn't fail. Using his gift for showing emotion with vocals and melody. Its a great example of his renowned talent.
Before listening the rest of the CD didn't have me expecting too much from the Gibb pair.
Let me say this is a compelling listen, I love Maiden Voyage, very haunting and gets into your head from first listen as does Sub Astris.
Being from Ireland this CD could actually be about all the Emmigrants that had to leave Ireland for the US many many years ago. New York Suite is a beautiful piece and reminds me of what it must have been like in those bleak times.

Music is about listening to something that makes you fell emotion, could be happy , sad or whatever.
Make no mistake here, this may have classical reviewers dising this, but in my opinion the Gibb pair have done a fantastic job here and I bet they are well pleased with the finished work. More please.
This CD will be on my playlist for some time.
Richard O Donoghue

Posted on 18 Mar 2012 15:35:28 GMT
A. Grootjans says:
Bee Gee Robin's masterpiece! Nuff said!

Posted on 18 Mar 2012 23:47:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Mar 2012 23:48:36 GMT
I had the pleasure of listening to the whole Titanic Requiem, and I must say that the review of the BBC is absolutely unfair, and still very superficial. The work of Robin Gibb and RJ is instead full of vibrant emotions, transmitted to the listener with great ease. The apparent simplicity of the melodies and movements makes listening fluid, and this seems not a defect but a virtue. I believe that the review of the BBC is the result of an inexplicable prejudice against a great artist, who, in collaboration with his son, has once again demonstrated its immense capacity to create good music.

Enzo Lo Piccolo
Italy

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 01:52:07 GMT
After listening to the album in total, I can only strongly recommend not to take this expert's (?) analysis as a guideline. You would really miss something if you let yourself be discouraged. I am neither an expert, most of all not in classical music, nor an analyst. I use to listen to music for enjoyment. And this music is pure enjoyment. It takes you in and carries you away. And it does not even need words to tell the story ... Obviously, Mr Ross, this listener is engaged. And confident to stay so for a while. Sorry, but for me your review is energy misspent.

Posted on 20 Mar 2012 16:47:51 GMT
I have had the opportunity to listen to about 6 tracks from this CD & have been blown away by the music & songs written by Robin & RJ. OK I am long standing Bee Gees fan but it is obvious that the BBC's "pompus reviewer" had a pre-concieved agenda & was not prepared to give a fair listen to music from these "Pop writers" who had the audacity to attempt to move into his sacred "classical" music area!
Open your ears, remove those blinkers & give a balanced unbiased review or don't bother.

Posted on 20 Mar 2012 19:30:46 GMT
JAS says:
Richard- I am bowing to you!!! You hit the nail spot on!!!

Posted on 24 Mar 2012 08:59:21 GMT
Just having received the CD and listening to it in multiple passes this Requiem has me hooked throughout. I have a problem with BBC's Daniel Ross' review which hints of musical snobbery. I should point out that while I do enjoy classical music, and have done for many years, I still consider myself a neophyte of the genre. What I do take from any musical piece is the emotions conjured up by the composer along with the arranger and, ultimately, the performer and in the case of The Titanic Requiem it delivers in spades. For Daniel Ross to be that dismissive of it says more about him than the music he is supposed to review.

Posted on 25 Mar 2012 17:40:30 BDT
Great comments Ronnie, I agree 100%.
Lucky you to have your copy!! (mine is still in the post, due to-morrow!!)
Kind regards Richard Atkinson

Posted on 18 Apr 2012 20:15:56 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Apr 2012 20:17:14 BDT
J. WALNE says:
Bee Gee Robin & son RJ. Their genius & brilliance all through this wonderful Masterpiece!

I would rather have their intelligence than Daniel Ross's!! (who is he anyway?)

Posted on 18 Apr 2012 22:35:35 BDT
JAS says:
To hear the Titanic Requiem along with a narration prior to each song go to http://www.mixcloud.com/MonFM/titanic-centenary-special-with-andrew-mon-hughes-and-judy-farrar-150412/ This is amazing!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Titanic Requiem forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  18 Mar 2012
Latest post:  18 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Titanic Requiem
The Titanic Requiem by The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Composed by Robin Gibb and RJ Gibb (Audio CD - 2012)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (88)