on 20 June 2012
I really struggled with this book. The formatting is all over everywhere, the grammar and punctuation are poor and the sentences frequently are so long they stop making sense. Dialogue often appears mid-paragraph while the dialogue itself is unrealistic with long conversations that go nowhere or are repetitive. I didn't believe in any of the characters and especially in their verbal interactions. All of this got in the way of the story for me.

In a book about Titanic I also find it extremely poor research or poor editing when the main character asks if the ship's site is a memorial to those who died on April 12th 1912. It was April 14th when the ship hit the iceburg, 15th when it actually sank.

The story shifts between 2012 and 1912. I liked the time shifts and thought they gave the story some depth.

The actual story would have some potential if it was more carefully written, even though 'something spooky in the Titanic wreck' isn't a very original concept. Good Titanic fiction is hard to find and Clive Cussler (who the author mentions twice in his preface) still has no competition, in my opinion.

I got the feeling this was rushed, perhaps to be out in time for the centenary. As I was reading it I felt that it had been banged out with little care and attention to detail; which is a shame; I'm sure other readers like me are hungry for a good Titanic tale.
on 25 July 2013
I always enjoy books featuring Titanic, and this was no exception. The story was compelling and I liked the suspense of switching between the two timelines, as well as yet another reason why the behemoth has sunk that did not just involve the iceberg. The formatting of the book was unfortunate though, as my e-ink kindle displayed the text properly but my Fire HD had missing text on the right and that could not be corrected using any font settings.
on 22 January 2016
"Titanic 2012: Curse of RMS Titanic" by Robert Walker. The premise is a little like 'The Thing' mixed with 'Titanic' and perhaps a bit of 'The Abyss'. Sounds good, huh? Well it’s not. This book is incredibly badly written. For example, not too far into the book he mentions that two people are in a ship’s corridor having a conversation. A little later they then leave the cabin they’re in and walk up the corridor. You see the problem? Once is a proof-reading error. Multiple times is inexcusable. For example, getting the characters names confused? Really!
However, what has made me do something I very rarely do (give up on a book) is that the plot is sketched out almost in its entirety before it really starts. The story is set in two time periods, 1912 and 2012. Just as things are slowly getting started in 1912, a conversation in 2012 literally lays out everything that will happen in 1912 and completely shatters any hope of tension. It’d be like watching a trailer for ‘The Sixth Sense’ and seeing the great reveal. You can read the book to see how the details happen but it’s pretty unfulfilling really.
Oh well, off to read something worth my time.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 October 2015
Not a bad read but didn't enthrall. Too much explaining about the techno suff that the reader doesn't need to know, unless you intend going on a trip to the ocean depths yourself. Think maybe the author wanted to share his research into the topic.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2011
Having long had an interest in Titanic and enjoying mystery tales this seemed like a good combination. How wrong I was. The story is tenuous in the extreme and the jumps between 1912 and 2012 are clumsy. The language used is pedestrian and the characterisation absurd. On occasions the author seems desperate to use such tortuous descriptive techniques that you lose the thread altogether. The grammar is poor and on too many occasions quite simply wrong. The proof reading/editing has clearly been cursory at best and there are occasions where characters are referred to by the wrong name so you have to go back to try and work out who is being referred to. If this had been free I could at least describe it only as a waste of time but alas it appears also to have been a complete waste of money!
on 17 August 2011
The mystery and romance of this massive ship lying on the ocean bed has long cried out for a novel that can deliver atmosphere in spades. Robert W Walker comes at it from a totally unexpected angle, combining adventure with spookiness. The result keeps the reader constantly off-kilter. I loved it.
on 2 May 2012
There has always been some conspiracy theories about Titanic. This book explores another conspiracy and a great twist.
A really good book, that I enjoyed reading.
If you enjoy mysteries and are fasinated about Titanic, read on!
on 30 March 2012
I think this was superbly written, a great twist on the reason for Titanic sinking. I have not been able to stop reading it and could read it all over again.
on 5 February 2013
a new twist on the titanic story would love to see this one made in to a film page turner