Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Aug 2008 08:12:40 BDT
Glenak says:
Don't get me wrong, I love the Harry Potter series, but I'm getting pretty sick JK Rowling writing only harry potter or harry potter related stuff.

When Potter ended I was kinda excited cos it meant I would see how creative she was if she could come up with other great stories.

Unfortunately, she's starting to turn out like those writers who write one hit series and can't write anything else. Sad

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Aug 2008 12:54:51 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 Aug 2008 15:29:07 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Aug 2008 13:12:07 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 24 Nov 2008 15:28:50 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Aug 2008 15:27:35 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 Aug 2008 15:29:12 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Aug 2008 21:53:17 BDT
This book was written never intending to be published. She has said several times she is working on new non-Potter work. And after all this book is for charity and Potter stuff sells so whats the harm?

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2008 16:21:55 BDT
Glenak says:
Yes, she has said several times, but saying has nothing to do with producing actual proof. Yeah, Potter sells, so she might as well just milk the entire Potter Universe dry in the name of charity.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2008 16:31:29 BDT
that's a bit of a harsh comment i think. What's the harm in releasing another HP related book? esp as the profits are for charity? alot of writers only write about what the know i.e Jane Austen, every single one of her books that she wrote was about middle class women in the early 19th century trying to find husbands because that's was what she knew about! Just because she's not divulging information about other books/stories she's writing every other day doesn't mean she's not doing it! She's av. private person anyway so if she does publish something not HP related it's likely to come out of the blue anyway.
Besides, i'd buy anything she wrote, even if it was a resturant menu! :@)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2008 20:21:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Aug 2008 23:47:19 BDT
Indigo Peas says:
Poor Jo! Criticized for NOT making her highly personal 'thank you' gifts available to the general public. Then criticized FOR making them generally available. Criticized for NOT producing more HP material. Then criticized FOR producing more, etc, etc.

I appreciate that its not possible to please all of the people all of the time, and that everyone is entitled to their own opinions. However, I find positive criticism far more valuable and less offensive than vitriol, and more likely to stimulate worthwhile discussion.

Thank you, Debbie Watson, for highlighting the very valid point re: Jane Austen and many, many more.

Personally, I'm really hoping that Ms Rowling produces her encyclopedia (with all the background and biographical material that only she has). And that prequel / sequel / restaurant menu? Well, I'ld certainly look them over at least.

And yet I, like you, Glenak, would be excited to see what other kind of writing Ms Rowling could produce too. Or Roddy Doyl. Or Sadie Jones. Or Trudi Canavan. Or Kate Moss. Or...

I think it is FANTASTIC that the world is full of different people with different tastes and that literature is so very VAST and VARIED and ACCESSIBLE. So much choice! Just waiting there to be sampled... rather like Bertie Bott's beans...

C'mon, Glenak, dive in! Enjoy! If you don't like your brussels sprouts, no problem! I'll swop 'em for my fried liver? Problem sorted, All Is Well ;-)

Ak, I meant Kate Mosse (not Kate Moss) *cringes into the corner*

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2008 14:05:34 BDT
Hammo says:
I wish I knew what HL Russell wrote? Anyone know? Shame it was deleted whatever it was. Oh well, I may never know.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2008 14:36:53 BDT
Je Mischenko says:
don't you realize when she is asked to do anything for charity she feels obliged to do something potter related as that is what will raise the most money?!
also, she has said she is working on lots of books that are not at all potter related!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Aug 2008 02:28:22 BDT
Gem says:
I don't really think she should write anything non-potter.
It will only be dissapointing for us all. The woman has created a story that is the biggest selling book of all time. She ain't gonna be pulling another one out anytime soon I shouldn't think, seeing as how no other writer in history has managed it.
If you were that writer, would you write something different afterwards knowing the whole world was waiting to judge and critisize.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2008 14:58:07 BDT
France fan says:
You dont really have to read it and it IS for charity so i dont see why it matters. Other people enjoy it.Im sure she'll write more books, but she doesn't need your permisson, does she?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2008 11:08:12 BDT
She's working on two new books: one for children and one for adults, not HP related.

All you have to do is wait, she does have a life besides writing all the time, give her a break, she has children to look after.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2008 11:41:06 BDT
L. Johnson says:
G. Hunns

Biggest selling book of all time? Not even close. Strictly fiction/fantasy I think you'll find Tolkien has sold a lot more. Not to mention Dan Brown's da vinci code selling more than any potter book. Then, of course, there is the Bible . . .

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Aug 2008 20:36:44 BDT
H. Ward says:
"Mr Johnson," I say, clearing my throat. "Mr Johnson, would you have a look over here for me. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books#List_of_best-selling_book_series

Yes, you'd be correct in saying that no SINGLE Harry Potter book has outsold Mr Tolkien's epic. However, according to this page at least, the series as a whole has outsold the book by nearly three times. It pays to do a bit of research, you know.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2008 11:18:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Sep 2008 11:31:16 BDT
L. Johnson says:
Mr H Ward

While you suggest for me to do a little research - as I did - I suggest you look at your source information more closely before you begin to patronise.

Firstly (and i am totally negating the fact your source is wikipedia here) - your lists state that the biggest selling HP book is the deathly hallows at 44million, now if we multiply that by 7 (assuming of course that all other HP books sold the same, which they have not - well according to the list no where near) we come to 308mill sales. Pudence may say that at least 25% needs to be taken off that atleast to account for using the highest selling book to calculate it = 230mill. However, your lists also adds: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through the Ages, which were, to coin a phrase 'a dime a dozen'. In fact i remember these being given away with cereal boxes. So these must add atleast 200mill sales (as your list says over 400mill copies were sold), which of course is ludicrous to count these as story sales - they are not books.

Then there is the comparison with tolkien; if we count all rowlings books as one because they are the same story, lets add similiaron, hobbit and children of hurin to LOTR i think you may find the balence tipped.

A more appropriate representation of series or author would be the average sales per book, which i think tolkein would win hands down, as would some other authors.

BUT, of course this is all estimation and sweeping generalisations. I read somewhere when hallows was released that it had sold nearly 90mill copies in 48 hours, i mean come on! All this should be apparent in the range that is attributed to Mao Zedong's works.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2008 00:24:04 BDT
P. Saunders says:
Actually the Deathly Hallows wasn't the largest selling potter book at 44 million. The Philosopher's Stone alone has sold over 120 million and the rest of the books sold in the region of 70-80 million each. The only reason why DH hasn't reached those numbers is because it has only been out for a year, so I'm afraid you're wrong, L. Johnson. The potter books (not including the extras) HAVE outsold the Lord of the Rings at over 400 million copies.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2008 17:16:38 BDT
First of all, JK Rowling is actually currently writing a non HP book. In fact she has started writing 2 books, one is a "political fairytale" for children (whatever the heck that means!) and another book for adults about a stand up comedian. We just dont know yet which one is focussing on, right now. Secondly, it has only been a year since DH was released and she wrote her Bros Grimm style fairytale book straight after as a wind down good bye (for now!) to the HP world and gave to six special people involved with HP. Then released this xmas with proceeds to charity. To me its simply a gorgeous bonus that we get new piece of work from Jo even if it is still potter related. But it is something very different. These are fairy tale stories. Its something fresh from her.

I look forward to all her future work because I am a fan of her style of writing. I love reading everything she writes including her short opinion pieces on her website, her short autobiography and forewords of other people's work. She is a master storyteller with a beautiful narrative flow. She loves writing, she wont stop or burn out. Expect her to take long breaks but I am pretty certain, she will have a lot more books to come.

Also, I personally think its silly to make warfare as to who sells more books. If you love Tolkien, great. If you love Rowling work, great. If you love both, lucky you!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2008 20:57:10 BDT
Professor Potter I agree with you. Personally, I love Tolkien AND Rowling! I CONSUME books at a speed which would blind most people and at the age of 16 I read the Tolkien trilogy so many times that eventually all the pages fell out of the books! As far as the original poster goes, what is his problem? He's so tired of Harry Potter but yet he's shopping the Harry Potter section of Amazon and complaining in the discussion boards. Who is he to say she has no creativity besides the Potter series? In my own personal opinion, even if she never wrote about anything else, the Potter series would definitely be enough! The creativity there is amazing, aside from the Tolkien trilogy I have read very few books with such flowing creativity. To be honest, I'm grateful to Rowling for giving me another fantasy series to read, I got tired of reading the Tolkien trilogy as a fantasy fix long ago. Now, thank goodness, there's something else to occupy us. There's another series that is not quite as good but still satisfying as a magical fantasy series. Has anyone here read the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage? Not quite in the same league as Rowlings series but certainly enjoyable in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2008 13:07:25 BDT
Thanks for the recommendation Diane's Mommy. Never heard of this series but seems very highly rated (4.5/5) with a wonderful synopsis. Just ordered Magyk.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2008 18:40:32 GMT
Mikaela says:
Hi!

In my opinion Harry Potter has gone around enough. Move over!!! More and more up and coming authors have got their books out and aren't getting the audience they deserve because us readers are still tied up over Harry Potter! Harry Potter was brilliant, but now we should be looking for the next Harry Potter, with these other authors.

(Yes, I have read Septimus Heap and that lot. I enjoyed them, and I think that they are for slightly younger readers, and the storylines aren't too well developed. However, I did really enjoy them.)

If you're looking for something to read, other than Harry I would recommend:
The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer (Girls mostly I think)
The Cherub Series by Robert Muchamore. (Boys, this perfect for you! (Girls, I read this and loved it-try it, if you're fed up of books about rich kids who never go to the loo-this brings it nicely back to the real world.))

I honestly believe that they are equal to Harry Potter. Have a read!
mikaela-b

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2008 17:20:47 GMT
Calling Twilight equal to Harry Potter is an insult to HP. Oh, it's very enjoyable, but it is such flawed literature. Everything is flawed in a way, but the flaws in Twilight are juvenile. If you are between 11-19 and female, go and have a little fun with Twilight, it will engross you, but it will wear off, especially by the time you read the fan fiction inspired 'Breaking Dawn' series finale. I would have been embarrassed to have my name stamped on it, myself.

But back to Harry Potter. The OP simply posts in ignorance. JK is writing other material, and even if she is writing something else HP related, who cares? It's for charity and so many people still enjoy anything HP related.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2009 03:32:05 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Feb 2009 00:15:27 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2009 21:59:17 GMT
S. Newton says:
well...we all know how you feel, don't we? But, was it really necessary to be that nasty? Everyone has their opinion, but, that was totally over the top, and quite sickening, frankly.

Sorry, mate but I feel quite sorry for you. Thanks for posting anyway.

I did like the HP books and thought they were marvellous and showed great characters and it got the kids reading (and some adults, too) surely that deserves some merit? The kids didnt think it was rubbish, did they? There was no swearing, at least none I saw, nothing that didnt seem right. Just wish I could write something akin to that.

Personally I preferred HP to LOTR et al, it flowed better. Maybe translated that means it was easier to read, but then if all the readers went on to read LOTR later, where's the harm in that? We're all winners, surely?

Except G. Lyons. Sorry maybe that was harsh...

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2009 01:57:41 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Feb 2009 00:14:43 GMT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  21
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  1 Aug 2008
Latest post:  10 Aug 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions