Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 July 2006
This book contains more wisdom in the first chapter than all the reading about baby sleep problems put together! Rather than offering a sleep programme as such it helped me think about the underlying causes of the sleep issues. Once I started looking at my own childhood experiences I could see how problems had arisen and be more sympathetic with our plight. Dilys writes very intelligently with great heart but is backed up by research too which puts many other books of its kind in the shade. A book for professionals and parents.
on 5 January 2013
Although this text appears intended primarily for an audience of psychotherapists, my wife and I have found it very useful to gain a more detailed understanding of what behaviours of ours could influence our son's sleep. The author provides many insights into assumptions and expectations that are taken for granted but have effects on sleep. Plus this book goes way beyond the question of "cry it out?" and creates space for discussion as to the underlying reasons for sleeplessness in the first place.

Altogether a well-researched, interesting and useful book.
on 28 October 2009
This book conveys in-depth knowledge and understanding of infants, their internal lives and the importance of the relationship between the mother and the infant in addressing sleeping difficulties. The writer encourages thinking about what is happening with the baby, in the family and between the parents and the baby, rather than prescribing lists of strategies. Superb!