on 1 April 2012
Gerald Durrell this time describes his animal collecting trip to Guiana in South America in the 1950's. Wonderfully witty anecdotes of crazy situations and colourful local characters make this an entertaining read. Durrell's particular skill is his ability to give all too human characteristics to the animals he meets, from cunning one-eyed caimans to regally nonnchalant capybara. The only negative to this book is you will be left with the irrisistable urge to read more of Durrell's travel adventures.
on 28 September 2013
My first Gerald Durrell book I read aged 10 on a caravan holiday in rainy Cornwall in the early 70's. I could not put it down and I bought every other book I could find reading favourites two or three times throughout my teens. It sparked my lifelong love of travel and wildlife watching. How lovely to find them again available on Kindle I am enjoying them just as much now especially now I have experienced some of the countries and jungles he describes and his humour is ageless. This story of a animal collecting trip to South America is full of ridiculous situations and fantasic animal characters as the trip to capture exotic creatures for a zoo as always does not go smoothly. I am sure if you try one book like me you will be back for more.
on 16 February 2011
I read this book as a child in the early 70s. I then read it aloud to my daughter when she returned from a trip around south America that included Guyana in 2000. She recognised many of the characters including the ranch at karanambo. Nothing she said absolutely nothing had changed since Durrell had been out there collecting animals. We both laughed non-stop so I had to put the book down and come back to it after a good break.
Durrell is a skilled writer and reading this aloud I really appreciated his skill at weaving a visual picture so acurate that I was completely part of it - standing right there at his side living and loving completely his "Three Singles to Adventure"
on 25 April 2013
The book, the adventures, the animals, even Cuthbert who'll you find out who he is in the book, are excellente to read. I know it's a little book but it cramps a lot inside. I gave it a five star because of the great work in which they do to capture animals, no matter how big or how small, in lots of places in Guyana, South America.
I liked Gerald Durrel himself because he was unforgettable on which animals he wanted.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes adventures, animals and Gerald Durrel books.
on 1 April 2012
on 1 April 2014
But....quite a few spelling and grammatical errors that definitely aren't in the hard copies. Doesn't really detract from the spirit of the story though. I'll be buying some other Durrell books in this format.
on 26 May 2015
Absorbing and vividly descriptive. All the charm of animal collecting in years gone by. A look at a lost world.
on 26 June 2010
Three Singles to Adventure: An Expedition to Guyana (Revival) A wonderful book by Gerald Durrell, one of my favourite authors. Durrell writes in a very funny style and his love of animals and conservation shines through.
on 1 August 2009
This is without a doubt the best book I have ever read! You feel you are right there in the adventure and has made me laugh so hard Iv cried.

Absolutly brillient
on 6 March 2014
Re-read this book after many, many years and enjoyed it so much, the writing reflects the time it was written in & some of it would probably seem a bit non pc today but probably all the funnier for it.