Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 July 2014
So, have just finished reading the superb Adam Horovitz book about growing up in the Slad Valley http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thousand-Laurie-Lees-Centenary-Celebration/dp/0750953764 which completely blew me away. I knew Adam back in the 1990s when I did some schools based writer in ed work in Stroud and I sensed a young man who had been through a lot {loss of his mother among much else - read the book} and who was trying to find his way. He has. All that distillation of his great poet mother Frances and his father Michael, and the Slad Valley itself with its lyrical veneer still of Cider With Rosie has led to this fully fledged, lyrical memoir. In this book, that is both honest and nostalgic autobiog and intense nature writing combined, Adam has found his own voice, utterly. I started reading it one day, finished it the next and did not want it to end. Yes, there is homage to the past, to his encounters with Laurie, and plenty to learn along the way but this is a tale about a young man and his relationship to a hidden valley. It should be up there with Edward Thomas and Richard Jefferies. Thank you. And my teacher friend Angela, back then, said I should go the pub where Laurie Lee still held court at night, still in residence and I did not. So this is the closest I get to Laurie and I am glad of it.
on 3 July 2014
An absorbing account of a childhood spent in the Slad valley, of leaving and returning, and taking stock. This beautifully written book is not just a counterpoint to Laurie Lee's famous Cider With Rosie, rooted as it is in the same Cotswold valley and featuring guest appearances from the man himself, it is well worth reading in its own right. Adam Horowitz has vividly evoked the natural world and the experience of growing up in an isolated rural community, where landscape is a formative influence which can never quite be shaken off.
on 19 July 2014
I took a while to read this book, as I wanted to 'do it properly' and fancied it may be quite literary and not one to pick up exhausted at half ten in bed. Now I only wish I'd got to it sooner as it gave me so much, and so easily. You're carried along down a gentle current of evocative, moving and occasionally very witty writing, through Adam's own story of life in The Five Valleys, interspersed with the bewitching scenery of Laurie's work and times. I come from Stroud and it captures the wonderful eccentricity as well as the sheer lush beauty of the environs- it's a book in which you will quickly become immersed and probably read in one sitting. I can't recommend it enough.
on 4 August 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed Adam Horovitz's portrait of the Slad Valley and the 'thousand' Laurie Lees in this part of the Cotswolds. He captures beautifully the way a young person looks at the world and the immense charm of the Slad Valley itself, having spent much of his childhood and adulthood there. The writing is wonderfully poetic and evocative but equally full of humour, down-to-earth and frequently very moving. This is a book that will appeal to everyone who loves Laurie Lee's writing and will prompt many a visit to Slad, I suspect!
on 20 March 2015
If you love Slad and surrounding area, you will love this book.
Adam is a 'local lad' and describes the countryside in his own unique way.
It helps if you know the village and surrounding district any way as you can pick up on places and recognise them.
on 2 December 2014
A lovely well written and sensitive book which brings Laurie Lee's Slad Valley to life . I thoroughly enjoyed it .
on 16 July 2014
This is a beautiful, very descriptive book, about the beautiful Slad valley. It is a moving portrait of people, and a landscape. Mr Horovitz's background as a poet is so clear in his writing. I can't recommend it highly enough. I would also revisit his poetry anthology 'Turning'. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turning-Adam-Horovitz/dp/190209610X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405514474&sr=1-1&keywords=turning+adam+horovitz
on 17 December 2014
Magical book, very evocative.
on 29 March 2015