I was initially a bit confused over the main difference between the 'Take and Play' and the 'Take Along' range as both use the same type of trains and track. But it seems that Take and Play is more portable in so far as it folds up easier and contains less parts, perhaps it will replace the Take Along range.

Anyway, this play set is a fun track - the magnetic items can be hoisted up and lowered using the little crank. The oval track isn't very big but it has a bridge to add some interest, but of course the set can be connected up to any other track in the Take Along/Take and Play range. Cranky is telescopic and simply pushes down into itself to allow the track to fold around it and form an easy to carry bundle. The Salty Engine included can be stored under the bridge and is held in place by the track when folded. This comes with a little cargo-boat too which is a nice addition and allows for even more imaginative play.

The oval track isn't made of individual pieces, it is one hinged piece - that makes this incredibly easy to set up and put away. This is perfect to grab and take out if you want to keep your little occupied for a while, you can be fairly certain that you won't lose essential bits!

In a nutshell: This is a small Thomas track but it still provides a fair amount of play value. A great toy to take out of the house when young ones may get a bit bored - and a great toy to use at home in conjunction with any other tracks they may have.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 July 2011
Cranky is very popular with my 3 year old son and any visiting children make a bee line for him. As well as the Cranky the crane himself, you get Salty (a diecast engine), two magnetic barrels and a plastic boat. The hook at the end of the crane contains a magnet so it can pick up engines or barrels. Cranky works quite well as a stand alone toy but also connects with up with other sets eg the bridges and tunnels set Thomas the Tank Engine Bridges & Tunnels Set - NEW or with other Take n Play toys. Don't buy wooden engines to go with it though as they are slightly bigger than the diecast ones and don't fit through the shed. When fully extended it is quite a sizeable toy, but I love how easily and neatly it folds it all away - push Cranky back down, fold the two sides of the track back up and secure with the red catch. The catch can be tricky for a child to open at first, but they seem to get the hang of it soon enough.
on 10 March 2011
My boys got this from Santa, and we are very impressed with it. He is much more robust than the older version, and I as a mother, love how easy he is to fold up and put away.
Highly recommended.
on 21 December 2015
Child loves it, this is the second I bought as when I was opening the first one I cut the stupid string which holds the hook, these things have so many screws and bits of string and child was shouting at me to open it, so he wouldn't be persuaded that it didn't have a hook and knotting it on didn't work, so I bought another, thanks prime!
on 21 October 2015
I bought this early as a Christmas present for my three-year-old son. A month later he wanted to send a letter to Father Christmas and HE ASKED FOR CRANKY! I was thrilled, to say the least! And my son keeps asking if I think Father Christmas got the letter. I assured him that Father Christmas always gets the letters :)
on 29 September 2014
The delight my son got from getting Cranky soon turned to frustration as Cranky collapsed every time the wheel was turned to raise the hook. The clips that lock the expanding body of the crane could not take even the lightest of touches before Cranky crashed down to the ground. Very disappointing.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 September 2015
The most interactive of the Tane and Play sets that I've seen, this one works really well. The crane extends to a decent height, the hook winds up and down, the boom lifts and the hook even has a decent strength magnet in it so that it can pick up the supplied barrels. The signal/barrier is a nice feature that acts to hold the kit together when in "take" mode and gives something else to interact with when in "play" mode.

My only gripe is the fact poor old Cranky can collapse without too much pressure, and there's been many an occasion where our little one has been leaning on the crane only to have it "telescope" back down to it's shortest setting. Over time I expect this will become more frequent as the p[lastic wears and friction doesn't do as good a job of holdding it up. It would have been nice if there was a simple locking mechanism that kept things standing tall.

All things considerd, it's highly recommended.
on 4 January 2014
bought this for my grandsons 3rd birthday as he is mad on thomas the tank it arrived on time and was well packaged when he opened this he was so excited he was thrilled to bits he takes this everywhere with him it is a well made and well thought out product it simply just folds away great value for money .
on 8 July 2014
My niece and nephew loved this and now it has been handed down to my daughter, still in great working order and not because my niece and nephew treated it with that much care, is a good indictment of the quality of this toy.
on 26 October 2014
We are big fans of take n play sets in our household and my nosy love cranky, however now we have owned this for a while, the red little lever is very stiff and is a job for my 3 year olds to turn to get him to lift things up and down with his crane. It is definitely one of the best for packing away and compacting down. Cranky at his maximum height is in 3 sections that lift up and the sides lift up and lock into place also so very good for packing away. Also excellent to see a set not come with a Thomas. This one comes with Salty the diesel. All in all would buy again as you definitely can't have a Sodor without a cranky!