Customer Discussions > Hellhole forum

This one promises to be entertaining!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Feb 2010 10:55:57 GMT
Ronald Craig says:
But not in the usual sense. It will be interesting to see how this book sells, without "DUNE" spread across the cover.

I love the "About the Author" section on this page. Supposedly, as with the new "Dune" novels, the two authors are working on this new series together. But the blurb is, as usual, mostly about Anderson! (80 words vs 34 about Herbert).

Having been burned with the first volumes of both Anderson's Terruh Incompeta and Herbert's Timewub series, I won't be buying this one. But I may pick it up for a quick, snickering browse if I happen across it in a bookstore. To anyone planning on having a go at it, or gods forbid, actually looking forward to it, good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2010 22:42:20 BDT
Rob Matthews says:
I bet it will have "DUNE" somewhere on the cover, more than likely quite prominent as well - it ain't gonna shift otherwise...

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2010 02:19:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jun 2010 02:25:16 BDT
Ronald Craig says:
LOL, I wouldn't put it past them!

Mmm... "Diadem Michella Duchenet - a tyrant with a sweet face, but a blackened, shrivelled heart." And "General Adolphus"? Where do they get this stuff?! :D

(I wonder why this still hasn't shown up on the Amazon US site. Maybe they're afraid of us doing just this?!)

Posted on 8 Jun 2010 03:25:47 BDT
Omphalos says:
C'mon guys. A planet that is very tough to live on, that has a valuable secret buried in it, lorded over by a bunch of backstabbing nobles? This is Dune.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2010 09:26:12 BDT
Ronald Craig says:
NO! Don't even think that!

Posted on 20 Jul 2010 09:35:55 BDT
Rob Matthews says:
So the cover copy reads "A space opera to rival the best the field has ever seen." Whoever wrote that obviously hasn't read the authors' last ten McDune books!!

Posted on 28 Jan 2011 08:00:41 GMT
I wonder why Kevin J. Anderson gets so much bad critic all the time, while his books obviously sells a lot. They really do. And Anderson and/or Herbert do book tours all the time with people showing up telling them how much they love the books. Why all the critisicm on the web? Do people read the books, but don't dare to say so? Anyone?
I have read three of the Saga of Seven Suns books, and I think they are very good!

Posted on 29 Jan 2011 04:48:43 GMT
A lot of the vitriol comes from KJA's work in the Dune universe.

KJA tends to write light, entertaining books that don't tax the reader too much. You have heroes and villains, lots of action, and occasionally a really interesting SF idea or trope. I don't think he writes very well - he tells rather than shows, his characters are flat, his plotting is messy and unstructured, he uses cheap ploys to try to generate tension, and he recaps past events way too much. But I can see that if you're after a light fun read, his books would have some appeal.

The problem is that he applies the same writing techniques to Dune which, frankly, deserves better. Frank Herbert's Dune is complex, nuanced and thought-provoking, with flawed characters and truly original ideas. KJA's Dune reads like a Star Wars novel, plundering Frank's work for ideas, and contradicting the rest. KJA took a truly great SF series, and wrote a series of utterly uninspiring and forgettable "official" novels.

Furthermore, when fans of the original series complained about his work in forums or reviews, KJA became snide and petulant in interviews and on his blog, dismissing critics as "Talifans". So there's a lot of mutual antagonism there.

Lastly, I think KJA's "bestseller" status is overstated - by KJA himself more than anyone. Most of the bestsellers penned by Anderson are novels in bestselling franchises, so it stands to reason that it's the franchise attracting the readers, not the author. His original fiction sells reasonably well, granted, but his claims of "n times on the NYT bstseller list" comes from his franchise work, which I think is a little disingenuous.

HBJ
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x9ee58cfc)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Hellhole forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  13 Feb 2010
Latest post:  29 Jan 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Hellhole (Hell Hole Trilogy)
Hellhole (Hell Hole Trilogy) by Brian Herbert (Hardcover - 15 Mar 2011)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (13)