Customer Discussions > Tomb Raider (PS3) forum

This isn't really Tomb Raider...is it?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Mar 2013 18:07:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Mar 2013 18:17:32 GMT
Ant says:
I have been reading the reviews for this game and have become disillusioned that this franchise has been reduced to a killfest that will appeal to the desensitised mindset that laps this stuff up by the truckload.
>
I am not moaning about violence in games, people want to play violent games and they make money.
>
My moan is that I think it a shame that Tomb Raider has gone down this route. Eurogamer is happy with this stating franchises have to move on or become stale. But is this new Tomb Raider fresh? Most reviews have compared its similarities with Uncharted, though we must remember that Uncharted itself was considered a Tomb Raider inspired game, but it is sad to see a once original franchise copying those that it spawned.
>
Also, this level of violence isn't fresh, it is now so common and cliched I don't see how it moves on the franchise.
>
Maybe it is me getting old but I was yearning for a Tomb Raider that went back to exploring vast open tombs, solving puzzles, yes even the odd block pushing and pulling. With the power of modern consoles and some imagination and creative design this old style of gameplay need not have been old and stale but could have been done with a fresh approach.
>
I know Tomb Raider has always had violence from the early PS1 days but this was limited towards a few endangered species and the odd human baddy but now the new Tomb Raider is just about killing, like many other games out there - so how can it be fresh?
>
To me this game seems it could have stood on its own has a new franchise with a new main character to challenge Uncharted considering the similar type of kill count and linear platforming style of gameplay.
>
What makes a Tomb Raider game a Tomb Raider game has been diminishing since Crystal Dynamics took over and sadly this is the abandonment of Tomb Raider and the rebirth of Lara Croft as just another cliched violent video game character.

Posted on 3 Mar 2013 22:19:04 GMT
I played through it, believe me, it feels fresh, though it's a shooter. The mechanics are awesome and it's so much darker than Uncharted. Oh, and it still involves tombs, exploration, riddles etc. It's an incredibly well-designed game.

Posted on 3 Mar 2013 22:41:41 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 4 Mar 2013 00:40:13 GMT]

Posted on 4 Mar 2013 00:10:24 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 4 Mar 2013 01:02:17 GMT]

Posted on 4 Mar 2013 10:22:15 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 4 Mar 2013 11:35:56 GMT]

Posted on 5 Mar 2013 13:44:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2013 11:37:51 GMT
Malcolm Lawn says:
Whenever I see that words like darker or edgy in reference to a video game or film it just flags up cliche. It's what the makers do when they have no original idea where to take the next game/film in a series so they turn it darker and edgier. Typically they'll talk about the main character's initial vulnerability giving way to a newly found mature confidence. In other words they're brutalised by something early in the game/film that forces them, oh so reluctantly, along a path which ends up with them turning the table on their tormentors. Sound familiar?

What I'm getting from these reviews is that this is Crystal Dynamics rebooting Lara Croft for the second time because their first attempt was a relative failure. So they've played safe, taken ideas from other games and films, applied that darker look and voila: second reboot.

They've almost irradicated the original Core TR gameplay which was based very much on tricky platforming, allied with puzzle solving and exploration. Like Legend they've created a casual player friendly game with simplified navigation (she can't swim and there's even an auto-duck FGS), QTEs, an emphasis on combat and few significant new additions.

What it sounds to me like is that they've dumped the mostly hated Angelina Jolie film tie-in feel of Legend and Underworld, simplified it some more whilst giving it a, now cliched, survival-horroresque look.
Like Legend and Underworld it may be a good game of its type, I don't know, but what I do know is that whatever it is it isn't TR. If it isn't TR why should I, a hard-core old school TR fan, buy it rather than Far Cry 3 which has a remarkably similar story set up but sounds far more fun?

Posted on 6 Mar 2013 00:01:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Mar 2013 00:03:06 GMT
V. Fernandes says:
All games are getting the same/dull unless you do your research. With all that said, as a huge tomb raider fan, maybe the biggest fan, my most wanted games for the year is Pikmin 3, Wonderfull 101 and Ni No Kuni. I knew Tomb raider would be just another Uncharted, everybody knew this, thats why Ill wait until it's half price. It's amazing that people pay full price for the same game every year, the same with Fifa and call of duty and assassins creed. If only people would research they'd find awesome new experiences. My biggest experience in videogames this generation so far was ZombiU, yet people dont give it a chance and diss it for being difficult/challenging.
People want easy, people want graphics, people want realism, that's why the new Tomb Raider is what it is. Fun is the last thing people even search for in a game nowadays. Yes, I had people telling me Mario was no fun because it was not realistic or didnt have a great story. I think people miss the point of videogames and want just interactive movies instead.

Posted on 6 Mar 2013 11:56:23 GMT
Malcolm Lawn says:
I agree with most of that - I'm actually not that bothered if the core idea is old or unoriginal what I'm looking for now and too often not finding is a magic combination of clever, amusing, engagingly demanding, fresh feeling, involving multi-faceted gameplay.

Because I haven't been getting much of that from the mainstream games I've played, ironically, over the last year most of my gaming pleasure has come from much more simple things I've taken little interest in before like 2D platformers. Rayman Origins went on my Amazon Wishlist because of this. I just know I'll love it.

But what gets me is that in playing safe with these mainstream games, making them to a formula, diluting the key gameplay elements that defined series like TR and Hitman to ensure they're now ultra-accessible what they're actually doing is cutting their own throats. Somewhere down the line even the thickest casual gamer is going to realise they're just being sold a pig in a poke, the same recycled stuff dressed up in a not so new skin.

There are still original games being made that is for sure but to be able to make them it needs money. Keep serving pap to gamers and, eventually, they'll start keeping their wallets in their pockets and the whole industry will suffer.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2013 18:17:44 GMT
I could not agree with you more. You have nailed it right on the head. I could have wept when i played it. Crystal Dynamic have just gone with the masses to make money thats just how I see it now. Unforgivable.

Posted on 9 Mar 2013 08:45:44 GMT
Rimmer72 says:
this is exactly how I felt. its good but its not tomb raider. the hidden tombs are nothing to the old ones. it feels like uncharted meets resident evil 5. even has s large bloke with a big axe. uncharted is good and one of my favourite game series but was always second in my heart to lara. Not any more

Posted on 9 Mar 2013 16:17:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Mar 2013 16:19:53 GMT
Avatouir says:
I'm gonna have to politely disagree. i really enjoyed it. The series needed a fresh approach, and whilst there might not be much originality here it's the most enjoyable TR game I have played in years.
Sometimes I think we have become too thirsty for new ideas. Why? Why does every single game have to be such totally different game from every other game ever? Don't get me wrong different is always good. I've not yet experienced Journey (yeah I know) but I have enjoyed titles such as Portal 2, Quantum conundrum and Heavy Rain. Titles which redefine the gaming experience. However it's also good sometimes to go back to a good old no-nonsense old school experience.
I could for example play Assassins Creed 2 forever but it has now become generic because so many similar games like it exist if what I'm reading is to be believed. What CD have done may not set the world on fire but at least they've done it well with amazing graphics and a solid enough engine to make the game enjoyable. That's all I'm saying

Posted on 10 Mar 2013 21:21:28 GMT
Yes I'm going to wait for the price drop as well. First time I've ever done that with a game I wanted.

Posted on 11 Mar 2013 05:57:54 GMT
Christopher says:
I agree. If they replaced 85% of the combat scenarios with larger, more complex puzzles within the tombs, it would enhance both elements.
The combat is fun and in minor ways includes a little innovation, i.e. hanging upside down rope trap, but you can expect a group of enemies every time you've not seen someone for 5 minutes. Far less enemies would have made the combat scenarios special, interesting and exciting when they occurred, the first few I felt were intense, I found myself checking behind every two seconds, checking I had enough ammo, but then my anticipation waned as I now find myself caring far less about when the next fight will occur and whether I'll be ready and more about when I can find the next puzzle or collectible, because the next fight is always just around the corner. The tombs leave me wanting much more, whereas the fights I can't wait to finish.

Posted on 13 Mar 2013 10:48:09 GMT
I enjoyed playing the game, but I can't help feeling disappointed with the game as I have played Tomb Raider from the very first on PS1, and I still own it.
From start to finish it only took me Two days to complete , not challenging at all. It is in fact a very easy Uncharted, not TR and you could never pass it as such to avid TR fans, was not worth the very long long wait.

Posted on 13 Mar 2013 12:45:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Mar 2013 11:32:20 GMT
Malcolm Lawn says:
That's interesting because many people are claiming it is a long game. Perhaps that is because your average gamer is now so use to many games of this type, like Legend, being completable in under 8 hours. When the game takes 12+ hours they think that is long whereas in the 'good old days', with some notable exceptions, you'd be dissappointed if a game didn't last at least 12 hours.

I can't even begin to guess how much time I've spent on the first four Core TR games over the years and I'm still finding things new to me in them even now. I remember my first playthough of TR3 took me over 24hrs.

That is genuine content longevity and not what passes for that in many modern games.
Crystal Dynamics used to know how to give us this sort of value too. Their sublime Soul Reaver is a prime example.

That was the norm back in the PS1 days. I so wish that is what CD was doing now and had kept to their own SR/LoK universe rather than messed around so much with TR.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2013 08:50:34 GMT
V. Fernandes says:
Hello Malcom, everything you said applies to my thoughts, I also enjoyed the first resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, etc, because those were challenging, new at the time and above all, atmospheric and memorable. All these new mainstream games are targeted to casual gamers who dont want a difficult game, and developers are happy for it. If you can finish a game quickly it means you'll be looking to buy more games, hence more money to the industry, its all about money, with all these DLC and yearly games such as assassins creed and call of duty, fifa etc.
Me, as always, I play games to be challenged, immersed, new experiences. With all this said, I found ZombiU to be the biggest experience in games in recent years, it is a pure videogame to the core, replayability is second to none. I will also get Ni No Kuni as it seems fresh, new, different. I advise on Journey, true new experience. My most expected game this year is pikmin 3, a true videogame and a series that is unique and like no other. I cant wait also for Wonderfull 101 and Rayman Legends.

As you cant see theres plenty good games around, you just have to look for it.

Oh, when you said they dumbed down Tomb raider, Hitman, you forgot also Resident Evil, Ninja Gaiden, Splinter cell, and more

Posted on 19 Mar 2013 18:32:13 GMT
Avatouir says:
Have they REALLY dumbed these games down though? Or have we just got a lot smarter?

Posted on 21 Mar 2013 01:00:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Mar 2013 01:00:57 GMT
V. Fernandes says:
No, they are really dumbing games down. Try Dark souls or ZombiU and you'll see. Oh and the new Mario U, try the challenges, some might seem impossible even for us veteran players.

I played far cry 3 on difficult mode, I finished it without any difficulty at all. Same for assassins creed 3.

Posted on 28 Mar 2013 23:56:28 GMT
Chorlton says:
I really don't know how anyone can compare the exploration element here to early games. Go back, play a level like the Cistern or St Francis's Folly, then decide if that tomb with the single timed jump even remotely compares. Graphically, yes, lovely rendering, but it doesn't have any of the wow factor that some of those really majestic locations had. It's strange how so many reviewers have to validate their opinions by saying they love the previous games before giving this a rave review. Emperor's New Clothes? It's a pretty shallow experience, designed for gamers with no attention span.

Posted on 2 Apr 2013 20:59:01 BDT
Avatouir says:
It's a shame if they are, but only because they don't need to. Whilst I definitely miss the old school TR and in fact was actually quite disappointed with TR anniversary I still enjoyed this reboot. I don't need to validate myself i simply enjoyed the game for what it was.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2013 05:29:41 BDT
Chorlton says:
You're right, they don't need to. Everyone's opinion is no more or less valid than anyone else's. As it happens I've revised mine just a little, since going back to cleared levels to complete does feel a little bit more like the old TR. The 'official' tombs are still a disappointment though, and there's a lot about this that says it's made for mass appeal to people who don't want to be challenged at all. But that probably says more about the growth of the gaming industry as a whole rather than just this release.

Posted on 3 Apr 2013 18:57:51 BDT
Avatouir says:
If the optional tombs were more like the ones in AC2 then it would definitely feel a lot more like the Tomb Raider of old. The one slight puzzle followed by a jump and ...oh you've completed the tomb already is way too little

Posted on 9 Apr 2013 11:13:27 BDT
J. Morgan says:
Uncharted is better. Although I find the treasure hunting aspect ruins the pacing of the game. Here Tomb Raider got it right allowing you to retrace your steps and putting the items on the map.
The survival aspect while playing really well at first disapears once you get a few skills. It's a good feeling of progression, but at that point the game loses something too.

Posted on 21 Apr 2013 23:48:56 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Apr 2013 23:56:36 BDT
V. Fernandes says:
Hello everyone, I got this game second hand for 15, I must say, it's better than I expected, after reading so many reviews. Unfortunately, it is more like Gears of war rather than Tomb Raider. Still, there is plenty exploration and tombs. The sense of open world and attention to detail is amazing. Maybe the first game ever where I stopped to check the walls and ceilings.

I am a huge fan of the old Tomb raiders, specially Tomb raider 4, I loved the pyramids and desert setting. Still, I'm impressed. I gave it a 3/5. Only let downs were too much shooting, lara falling and being beaten so bad that not even Robocop could survive, didnt like the shaky cameras on cutscenes either. All the rest is perfect, story, graphics, voice acting, controls, upgrades, etc.

It would be better if there were less bad guys, and I'd also prefer if we had to find medkits.

PS: games are getting like this because gamers these days only care for shooting easy fast gameplay and cool cutscenes. My most expected game this year is pikmin 3, but I doubt it would sell even close to a shooter. For some odd reason, gamers these days need shooting and gore to prove that their manly or something. If you guys really want more variety, originality in games, the best way is to buy those games. If we dont buy them, they wont make more of them.
Be honest, have you bought Ni No Kuni, Dark Souls, Journey, Lego City, ZombiU? Are you looking forward to Pikmin, Wonderfull 101? Or are you one of those that buy Call of duty and fifa?

Posted on 4 Aug 2013 03:50:12 BDT
Benson says:
Tomb Raider (PS3) when will the new franchise owners of tomb raider realize that us hard core tomb raider fans that have played every TR title to-date just want to see TR games very similar to the first games on the ps1 but incorporating bigger levels and puzzles taking full advantage of the processing power of the new consoles. This is what we bought and loved about tomb raider in the first place and kept us coming back for more. unfortunately only to be slowly and painfully let down more and more since the ps1 games. the original games on the ps1 took ages to complete as you weren't give hints through out the game as to where to go/look next to know which direction you needed to go in. Since the ps2 tomb raider games i dont think it has taken me longer than 27Hrs(or 1 weekend) to complete any of the new games. With the power available in these new consoles i (like many TR people i know were hoping to see MUCH bigger multi-interactive environments with more and bigger tombs and greater number of better puzzles to solve than we had in the ps1 games. Considering the capabilities of both the ps2 and especially the ps3 the games on these consoles should of given us tomb raider fans all the tombs,areas to freely explore, puzzles and the odd bad guy/level bosses to keep us playing each new game for weeks too months to complete not the pitiful hours that some of the games took to complete. These were the reasons we all got hooked on tomb raider to begin with. ever since the ps1 the tomb raider franchise has just seem to become a quick money spinner with no consideration to what really draw the players in in the first place. If we wanted to buy a more gun fight Oriented exploration game we would buy the uncharted series of games. PLEASE PLEASE just bring back bigger and better versions of the ps1 tomb raider games we all loved so much!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Tomb Raider (PS3) forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  3 Mar 2013
Latest post:  4 Aug 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Tomb Raider (PS3)
Tomb Raider (PS3) by Square Enix (PlayStation 3)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (524)