Customer Discussions > 19 forum

This is tripe. Discuss

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Jan 2008 15:18:17 GMT
What a load of blandness etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2008 00:04:34 GMT
Kaiser Chief says:
I agree. There is a great force behind this promotion. There was once a post not necessarily dissing the album but bemoaning the fact that it was getting all these reviews pre-release. It has been wiped. Speaks volumes.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2008 04:39:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Jan 2008 04:41:34 GMT
Matt says:
What music do you like? You don't think she has a brilliant voice? People writing reviews of the album are fans who have heard most of the songs on it, from seeing her play live.

I don't think it's being forced, it's just alot of people are amazed by her voice and song writing. So they're buying her music. Simple really.

Your pompous attitude to emerging talent is pretty silly.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2008 11:14:15 GMT
M. J MUIR says:
I can't escape this garbage anywhere. Maybe it's my age (now over 30), it seems white, Hoxton square, female teenagers warbling a load of bland-canned repro 50's American soul with some throwaway references to rehab or splitting with the boyfriend (get over it!) is all the rage these days, and I can't help feeling there's an almighty media con somewhere in there.
Are these people really that talented? Is taking a load of riffs and beats from 50s US black music and adding some lines about life as a bored "Norf Landan" teen that groundbreaking?
Each to their own, but this is hogging the airways and all it is is sanitised, not very original repro Black American music with added self indulgent angst. Amy Winehouse is the same, although her propensity for drug taking, mental breakdown and brushes with the law will probably generate her far more publicity than her music in the coming years. Adele? Let's see where she is in 1 year, let alone 5. My prediction is there'll be a new "Next Big Thing" from the Finsbury Fin conveyor belt.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2008 14:38:37 GMT
M. J MUIR says:
Matt are you her promoter/agent/brother? We need to know.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2008 12:26:59 BDT
Aimz says:
Some have said that she has a 'soulful voice'. To me she just sounds the same as every other 'great new talent' that comes along. 'Chasing Pavements' is simply tedious, and the constant laudatory remarks that have been made about it are really beginning to irritate me. Basically, it's one of those songs you hear and think 'well, that could be anyone'. However you'd probably know who is is by now because of all the hype.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2008 23:18:35 BDT
Jangly Mark says:
To be honest, it's not my thing, but, that's not why I'm posting.
From what I've read here, and what I've heard of chart music in the last few years, it gives rise to a much wider problem in (chart) music.

Over the years, the marketing machine has got sleeker...and in direct correlation, music blander. There has always been utter dross in the top 10, but, the difference is that in times gone past, the dross was pure dross - and often laughable. Anyone remember 'I haven't stopped dancing yet' by Pat & Mick? The chances are that if, like me, you were around when it was hogging the top 10, you do - but wish you didn't. It was RUBBISH, but, catchy commercial bubblegum rubbish - and didn't pretend to be anything else. These days, instead of utter dross, we have utter blandness.

The problem is that this permeates a lot of what would otherwise be the decent stuff too. The marketing men have taken over - the production line is much sleeker - the scope is much narrower. Almost nobody in the mainstream is taking chances anymore.

About two thirds through each generation there has been a popular movement in commercial music - psychedelia in the 60s, punk in the 70s, acid house in the 80s etc.
Something should be coming along now...it's late already...I look to the horizon, and all I see is teduim.

There's still brilliant music out there - and lots of it - whatever your preferred genre....but, it's further away from the mainstream than ever...

Posted on 11 Mar 2009 01:12:12 GMT
Matt Lewis says:
I'm not related to Adele at all nor am I her promoter or agent. I just fell in love with the album the moment I heard it. I actually had pleasure meeting the young lady in question not so long ago. She's great.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2010 08:44:46 GMT
B. Al says:
All 3 by the looks of it ! ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2011 20:25:54 GMT
Roan du Feu says:
Well I can't speak for after five years but after three years it seems that Adele is bigger than ever, with her latest album receiving an even more positive critical reception than the first. I think the fact that her two albums are currently numbers one and two on Amazons 'Bestsellers in Music' list must say something for her talent.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2011 22:06:12 BDT
Or maybe the price of 19 may have something to do with it? Or possible people think they'll get more of 21?

21 is great but I'm with the others on here - 19 is tripe.

Posted on 31 May 2011 02:54:42 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 31 May 2011 02:55:32 BDT]

Posted on 5 Aug 2011 15:41:36 BDT
Guy de Leon says:
Well a funny thing happened if you were looking in the top 100 MP3 downloads a few weeks back because there popped up a little know rock band called From the Ashes. Quite strange, their debut EP it appears, but it somehow, in less than a week, climbed to number #1 in Classic Rock and Hard rock Metal bestsellers and even soared to #92 bestsellers in all MP3 downloads. It stayed in the top 100 for 12 days. In fact its still out there just a bit further down the list.

Talk about the current slick marketing and fresh raw talent waiting to burst out of the UK, did this band prov that good quality rock music is still out there and where possible it can be successful without the machinations of big labels??

Posted on 24 Aug 2011 13:26:24 BDT
Oyster says:
I think it is wrong to reduce the price of her album seeing it has been in the charts since Adam was a lad! It doesn't give other artists a chance. But kudos to Will at No. 1 - even though I am not keen on his album.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  19 forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  16 Jan 2008
Latest post:  24 Aug 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
19 by Adele (Audio CD - 2008)
4.4 out of 5 stars (671)