Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 May 2012 21:53:08 BDT
Neal Vincent says:
The uncut version of "The Woman in Black" was rated 15 by the BBFC. The distributor chose to have the film cut in order to obtain a family-friendly 12 rating for cinemas. Understandable, I guess, because cinemas are an age-restricted environment and a lot of Harry Potter fans would've been refused entry if it had been a 15.

Sadly, though, it looks like they've chosen to put that same cut version out on DVD/Blu-ray in the UK.

Let's be clear: this is not a case of repugnant or unacceptable material being cut, it is a case of a film being deliberately and optionally toned-down purely to lower the rating by one notch so the distributor could increase their sales.

If you buy the 12-rated UK DVD or Blu-ray then you are voting with your wallet and sending a message to distributors that it's OK by you if your films are cut for commercial reasons.

Is that OK by you?

Posted on 25 May 2012 22:31:02 BDT
S. Mccaughey says:
Hope they release the 15 rated version

Posted on 31 May 2012 21:51:57 BDT
Neal Vincent says:
Same here. There's no excuse for not releasing it. There used to be a BBFC rule against having the same film available in two different certifications, but that rule went out of the window YEARS ago with the first "The Mummy" film, which was a censored 12 on video (VHS) and an uncut 15 on DVD.

I guess I assumed they were going to do what they did with films like "The Expendables" (i.e. release the cinema version on DVD and the uncut version on Blu-ray) but all sites taking pre-orders are showing a 12-cert for both formats.

The weird part is that the BBFC have actually passed an uncut 15-rated version of "The Woman in Black" - but what the distributor intends to do with that version is anyone's guess. Cynics would say: release the uncut version later on (say, around Xmas time?) and make the fans double-dip...

Posted on 11 Jun 2012 22:10:13 BDT
movieman says:
momentum are getting a bit a reputation for short changing the u.k fans they could have released the fuller version of limitless but did,nt now it looks like they are going to do the same with the woman in black...would have been nice to have had the un,cut version on bluray...i,ll pass on this movie..

Posted on 13 Jun 2012 18:49:03 BDT
I have ordered the U.S version as i have both region B and region A players,hate censorship !

Posted on 13 Jun 2012 19:43:48 BDT
S. Mccaughey says:
Is the u.s version region locked?

Posted on 14 Jun 2012 00:35:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jun 2012 00:38:35 BDT
Neal Vincent says:
You're right, movieman. It was also Momentum who gave UK customers "Season of the Witch" (and several other films) in downgraded 1080i on Blu-ray, where the Americans got a proper 1080p Blu-ray with decent extras. And it was also Momentum who gave us "The Divide" on DVD only (no Blu-ray at all!) and even that was the 20-minutes-shorter theatrical version with no extras. The American release of that film was handled by a decent label (Anchor Bay) who served up an unrated director's cut with audio commentary etc in a Blu-ray+DVD combo.

Hadn't put two and two together until you mentioned this was also a Momentum release. Makes sense now. They're clearly a label that treats film like it's mere "product" - no love for it, and therefore no interest in trying to release the best version they can for the people who DO care about the film enough to want to buy it.

@S Mccaughey - unfortunately the US Blu-ray IS region-locked, according to several reliable sites.
You could always import the film on Blu-ray from another European country, though, like Germany or France? It's only the UK version that was cut for a lower rating. All of Europe is the same Blu-ray region as we are here in the UK, so their Blu-rays will play on standard UK Blu-ray players. It's highly unlikely that any European release will have dropped the original English-language soundtrack - but do double-check, just in case!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2012 17:48:24 BDT
S. Mccaughey says:
Thanks Neal will check out for the proper version of the movie.

Posted on 14 Jun 2012 18:15:38 BDT
F. J. Prado says:
bbfC website has a listing showing a uncut video release rated 15

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2012 22:59:48 BDT
Yes the U.S version is region locked im afraid

Posted on 15 Jun 2012 10:06:39 BDT
Although i only watched it twice at the cinema,i received my u.s copy yesterday and watched it last night,to be honest did not see where the extra 6 seconds was!

Posted on 15 Jun 2012 14:40:52 BDT
Geezer says:
anyone who wants to see the film uncut : wait for august 9, go to amazon.de and order the german Blu Ray under the title DIE FRAU IN SCHWARZ. you have the english language version here as well, subtitles are optional and its UNLOCKED !!! It costs you about 15 Euros and again: UNCUT! Enjoy!

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 00:46:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2012 00:54:09 BDT
Neal Vincent says:
@Ng Scrimshaw - I could list what the cuts and alterations were, but there's no spoiler markup on Amazon so it wouldn't be fair to people who haven't seen the film. Anyone who has already seen the film should look it up on the BBFC website and read the "extended classification information" for an idea of which scenes were shortened.

It's more than just the 6 seconds that were cut out, though - they also used more subtle censorship tricks in other scenes, like artificially darkening the image so you can't see what's happening as clearly, and dialling down the volume of certain sound effects to reduce the intensity of the scene. Those kinds of alterations don't affect the run-time, so don't have to be declared as cuts.

The bottom line is that the film was deliberately altered to get a lower rating so kids could go see it in cinemas. That's understandable for the cinema version. What isn't understandable is preserving those cuts for the home version, because - let's be honest - once a film's in the home all ratings become purely advisory.

Yes, the cuts ARE quite subtle - and that actually makes what they've done here worse, because it's not as if they removed anything that was stand-out sickening or radically nastier than what's left - they just dialled all the scariest moments down a notch or two to create a "lite" version of the film.

I can't really imagine who would want to watch a film that was designed to scare and yet has had the scariest moments deliberately edited in order to make it less scary. That makes about as much sense to me as watching a comedy film that has had the punchlines edited in order to reduce the hilarity.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2012 23:35:41 BDT
S. Lewis says:
Neal, I THOUGHT the blu-ray was cut! I remember the dog ran away at one point, and there was a short bit of exposition between Radcliffe and Ciaran Hinds saying that the dog had found his way home, which is how he had the dog with him in the back of his car...and other, less obvious tweaks, as you say. I agree, no excuse for not releasing the uncut version; I sense an 'extended version' in the offing. NOT good.

Posted on 21 Jun 2012 01:30:38 BDT
Neal Vincent says:
I'm pretty sure it's only scary stuff that's been cut (burning, hanging, blood) but I noticed that the UK Blu-ray does have the audio commentary on it - so some tweaking must have been done to either the film or the commentary to make the commentary stay synced with the shortened UK version of the film, otherwise it would be 6 seconds out of whack with what's happening on-screen by the end!

As for the uncut version, I'm not so sure we'll ever see that released. The differences aren't radical enough for most people to notice, unless they saw the two versions side-by-side, so they'd feel ripped-off if Momentum tried to sell it to them as a special "Uncut Version"

My guess is that the BBFC originally passed the film as a 15 certificate, and Momentum were disappointed with that, so they consulted with the BBFC on what alterations would be required to obtain a 12 certificate, and the BBFC passed the censored version as a 12. That would explain why both versions are listed on the BBFC's website: because both versions were passed.

Momentum could have released the 15-rated version if they wanted to - but I think that if they were going to do that then they would have done it already, back on Monday.

Looking on the bright side, the fact that both versions have been passed by the BBFC means there's nothing stopping the uncut version from being the one that turns up on UK TV :-)

Posted on 21 Jun 2012 20:07:43 BDT
sjconstable says:
This review thinks it's uncut: http://film.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/75691/the-woman-in-black.html

Quote:
'I feel that I should say a few words about the certificate this film has been granted. The film has been granted two different certificates; a '12A', and a '15' certificate. The distributor agreed to make six seconds of cuts to secure a 12A rating at the time of cinematic release (presumably to match the '13' rating in the U.S.), and the BBFC also insisted on the reduction of some sounds during moments of high tension, and also a darkening of some scenes where particularly unsettling (non-gore) images were shown. Whilst the DVD release is being advertised with a '12' certificate, the cuts in question (which I won't mention for spoiler reasons, but you can find full details on the BBFC web site) were NOT apparent on the review copy I watched; so far as I could tell, it was an unexpurgated version.'

Anyone know for sure?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 12:58:36 BDT
Films have always been and will continue to be cut to tailor for target audience and getting bums on seats.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2012 21:20:17 BDT
Cartimand says:
What annoys me more is that 18 rated films in the UK will be 12 or, at most 15 rated in France. Do the censors really believe Brits are a bunch of prudes?

Posted on 5 May 2013 09:34:47 BDT
Ray Clark says:
I have a multi region DVD recorder so I can order the US region 1 version for DVD (not Blu-ray). Does anyone know if that version has been cut?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  25 May 2012
Latest post:  5 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Woman in Black [Blu-ray]
The Woman in Black [Blu-ray] by Daniel Radcliffe (Blu-ray - 2012)
4.0 out of 5 stars (617)