on 4 February 2014
People may mention how many boxes of tissues they go through while reading this book, how they cried and cried and felt overwhelmed by the story of Esther Grace Earl. But that's only one way to go through this book. I went through it smiling. Smiling and laughing and, yes, even feeling ridiculously happy because Esther has finally been able to share her story with me and I am so grateful and so glad that she has been able to do that.
In the book John Green says to Esther, "I feel very lucky to know you - and as far as I have seen , to know you is literally to love you." And reading this book not only helps you get to know Esther, but it forms a bond with her, and to be honest you might as well call it love because it's so strong.
I am 16, the same age Esther was when she died and I love reading fantasy books, sci-fi, adventure etc. but really sometimes it's the books about real people that are wonderful, emotional, and simply beautiful that impact us so much. I am so glad Esther got her wish to be an author. I am honoured to be a part of it.
Esther means star. This star won't go out.
on 14 March 2014
Such a lovely way to learn more about Esther and celebrate her life. Forever missed, loved, and adored by many. DFTBA
on 2 March 2014
it's genuinely nice to hear what an actual teenage cancer patient and her family and friends have to say about living with cancer. In teenage cancer novels it's practically the same story every single time, the kid raises money for a cancer charity and fights heroically until s/he either beats cancer or dies and they are grateful for everyday s/he has, but with Esther's story she's not afraid to say that sometimes she is scared by her disease and sometimes she just doesn't feel like fighting anymore, it shows how she is just like anybody else, her friends and family annoy her sometimes but she loves them really, she cries, laughs, reads, vlogs and watches tv shows just like everybody else.
It's about how she doesn't want to become her disease and to borrow a phrase from John Green's 'The Fault In Our Stars' (which is dedicated to Esther) she did not want people to think the only thing she ever did was have cancer. She felt pain, joy and sadness throughout her struggle.
I think that the book means to show people that she was only human.
on 12 September 2015
Usually it is easy to write a review of a book but not so easy when it is a real account told in the form of letters and journal entries from a young girl dying of cancer.
How to begin? I have just finished reading this book in the short space of a day and even though I wasn't one of the readers reaching for the tissue box it still struck a cord in me.
Every paragraph written by Esther shows us what a courageous but real person she was. She was a fighter but at times she was also very human and she openly admitted to crying a lot during her life as a cancer patient. Did she fear death? Though brave I sense at many times she probably did. Her faith in God held her in good stead and we see how she inspired not just her family but friends all over the world.
There are various entries in this book from lots of the people who's lives she touched and who are so thankful and blessed to have known her. Each with their own version of Esther, the little star whose light continues to shine.
Though after I finished this book I felt very moved and yet, rightly or wrongly, angry that such a lovely person had to die so young from this disease we call "cancer" and have not fully, as yet, cured.
I'd also like to give a mention for readers to check out Ending Ageing by Aubrey de Grey and his SENS Foundation charity which aims to eliminate all cancers as well as the other illnesses commonly effecting the ageing and even the young.
Together we must bring an end to all cancers so that, even though this book should have an end, it is one of the last where the ending is of a teenager's passing.
May you live on in the hearts of all who loved you Esther. Your light shines on as bright as the star you were.
Jessica Roberts, reviewer at patroberts21@yahoo.co.uk
on 15 February 2014
Stunning, heartbreaking, funny, sweet, silly, loving, beautiful........... Just a few words describe this book, I've just finished reading it and my emotions are all over the place, I just wish Esther was still with us and that I could know her!! She was one awesome inspirational girl and I may not have known her IRL but I feel in a way that I do know her. I love you Esther......This Star will defiantly NEVER go out!!!
on 14 February 2014
I love this books so much. It is so sad and it makes you realise how unfair life can be, but it is also a celebration of Esther's life.
I would strongly recommend getting it as a book, because it is colourful, has lots of photos and drawings and exerts from Esther's diary. I love the way it is a mixture of Esther's words and her parents, family's and friends'.
I brought me to tears...RIA Esther. :)
on 16 August 2014
By far the most powerful book I've ever read! Equal parts inspiring and heart-breaking. To hear Esther's story through her own words, and those closest to her, felt like a privilege. The world is worse off for no longer having her in it, but she has left her mark and continues to inspire!
on 9 January 2015
This book arrived very quickly and well packaged. The book itself was amazing. I could hardly put it down. The author wrote about Esther so beautifully and with honesty as well as compassion. It was very hard to read the end as I was in tears - not good when trying to see anything - especially words!! And all the photo's were wonderful. They allowed a further insight into this wonderful girl and her family that you wouldn't get just from reading the book. Esther was a young girl to be admired and to have her story told. She was probably just like many other young people who suffer from cancer without making a fuss about it. We older citizens could take a few leaves out of their books when faced with such awful health conditions. This was a wonderful book and I would recommend it to everyone.
on 6 August 2014
This book had me in tears after reading only the first few pages. What an inspirational young lady and to be faced with a terminal illness so young. Esther embraced the time she had left, an amazing young lady with a wonderful family
on 13 July 2014
Saw the parents interviewed on TV and was very moved by their dignity and grace. My daughter saw the film and although I bought the book for myself, she'll be reading it first!