Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 6 January 2012
Well what can I say, I am never disappointed reading about Cat and Bones and their explosive life together. Cat and Bones are definitely one of my favourite fictional couples. Jeaniene Frost never fails to bring something fresh and exciting every time. Not my favourite in the series but a must read all the same. There is a whirlwind of emotions in this book, I was crying at one part and laughing at others.

This side of the grave picks up where Destined for an early grave leaves off. For new FULL vampire Cat Crawfield and her master vampire husband Bones, things never run smoothly. The ghoul Apollyon claims Cat is a danger to ghouls everywhere, he claims she could change into a vampire/ghoul hybrid and start an undead war.

Cat is trying to keep her new drinking requirements on the down low for the time being, to try and not add fuel to the claims Apollyon has made about her being dangerous.

Cat and Bones are forced to seek the aid of the very dangerous ghoul queen, Marie. They pay Marie a visit, but she seems to already know about Cat's unusual feeding requirements. She forces Cat to drink from her, but at what cost? and what is in it for her? Cat does not know.

With Cat's new abilities that she absorbed from Marie, ghosts flock to her like a moth to a flame. Cat spends her time trying to repel them, in-case it draws attention to her.

Meanwhile Cat discovers her uncle Don is very ill and rushes to his side. He is dying of cancer and she is furious no-one told her sooner. Cat takes the news very hard, Don is the only father like figure she has ever had in her life.

Cat and bones split up with the help of Denise, Cat's best-friend. Denise has the ability to shape-shift into Cat. They are trying to lead the ghouls into thinking she is somewhere else. While Bones and Cat are apart, she practices with some of her new abilities she absorbed from Marie, with nearly disastrous results for Vlad.

Cat is called urgently to her uncles side, he is deteriorating quickly. Cat asks him would he give her away to Bones, because there was no-one to do it the first time they got married. He agrees and dies straight after. It was very heartfelt and my heart went out to Cat.

The showdown at the end is amazing, lots of fast paced action. We finally find out why Marie made Cat drink her blood. There is an unexpected spectral visitor at the very end, which I am very excited about.

Some of my favourite highlights of the book are:

Cat letting down her barriers and declaring her love and baring her soul to Bones. It was quite beautiful.

Vlad and Cat in the graveyard, trying to activate Cat's new ability, it was laugh out loud funny. Vlad is one of my favourite characters and I love reading about him.

Marie queen of the ghouls, I am so intrigued by her dark nature.

Cat's great sense of humour is always a big plus to read. Not forgetting Bones who is simply swoon worthy.

The Night Huntress series is a must read series, if you haven't read them you are seriously missing out.
on 11 September 2015
Jeaniene Frost continues to distract me from everything else I should be doing, although I have to admit that part 5 in the series was not as great for me as those before it.

There's still plenty of action and the writing is superb as always, but unlike the others, this book was a little dull in some places. There are some great scenes, don't get me wrong, but things don't seem to pick up until about halfway through. Whether this is simply because of the general plot of this book, or whether it is a reflection of the characters' developing maturity, I don't know - perhaps a bit of both - either way, it was slightly disappointing after eating books 1 to 4 like a ravenous book-beast.

I also found myself somewhat distracted by the new additions to the story, in particular, Kira, and Denise's new 'situation'. For anyone who read the side novels involving Spade and Denise, and Mencheres and Kira, this wouldn't be a problem. Maybe it's my own damn fault for rushing on with this series instead of branching out and getting the full overall story - I just didn't have enough of an interest in these side characters to read full novels based around them alone. It would have made more sense to read the Night Huntress books 1 to 4, then go to Night Huntress World First Drop of Crimson and Eternal Kiss of Darkness before reading this book as suggested on the author's site. Oops.

Overall, this won't stop me from continuing with the series, but I am hoping book six captures more of what drew me to this series in the first place, zoning back in on Cat and Bones.

on 31 October 2011
"This side of the Grave" is the fifth installment of the Night Huntress series. Certainly not one to miss as the excitement and action in this one rivals its predecessors. Cat's life has changed considerably since first seeing her in "Half Way to the Grave". No longer the young, inexperienced half vampire, she has truly come into her own. You will see she has matured from all the harrowing experiences and drama from before to become an even more dangerous woman to contend with.

This time she is dragged further into a new Ghoul plot to take her down. Before, the complaint had been that her half breed status was a danger because she could become a vampire-ghoul hybrid. Something stronger than both races. With that concern now eliminated, Apollyon (the previously seen Ghoul leader) has attempted a new uprising with Cat as his target for a new reason. Word has gotten out about her occasional heart beat and abilities usually reserved for much older master vampires. He has begun convincing other Ghoul's that she is an even greater threat than ever to their race. In doing so, he is instigating a war with vampires if Cat and Bones cannot stop him in time. They will have to use every resource they have to prevent a decimation of both species. The question is, will it be enough?

This book will keep you in complete suspense from beginning to end. Nearly every character from previous books and the Night Huntress World Series makes an appearance. Even ones that aren't expected. At times, it seems like a rather dark reunion, but every person plays an important role in averting this latest threat. The warped sense of humor returns as well. Though Cat has matured noticeably, she hasn't lost her touch in stating the ironic or occasionally letting her mouth run at less than appropriate times.

The character development that has progressed in this series really shows. Those who have been following the previous books will feel touched by heart warming moments and unexpected tragedy. Bones and Cat have reached a comfortable point in their relationship that finally gives a breather to all the difficulties seen between them before. Now you will see the two working together against common enemies rather than being at odds. It also adds a sweetness to their occasional romantic moments. Don't worry though, the author included some rather hot scenes to keep the couple from seeming too dull.

All of these elements come together to make this book worth the wait. Admittedly, I was impatient and downloaded it the moment it became available in ebook format. This is on top of having already read the first twenty percent from the publishers website. Jeaniene Frost's writing is such that she leaves me wanting more and as soon as possible. This is the sign of a excellent writing. Despite some series having quality issues this far in, This Side of the Grave is every bit as good as it's predecessors. The plot, storyline, and characters are strong as ever. I can gladly recommend this installment with no reservations and give it a full five stars.
on 6 August 2012
Love this series, don't get me wrong, but have to say this is so far the weakest book. Its good, as are they all, but just not quite at the same standard. It also seemed shorter, though perhaps thats just me. Some interesting goings on in this book and some good character development in places, nothing too heavy but just the right amount to prove interesting. The book focuses on the ghouls stirring up trouble with vampires and though there is focus on that, theres also alot more going on that distracts from that point. It came as a bit of a surprise to find that i was 80% through the book before the ghoul angle once again took presidence.

Also, this ends on a nice little cliff hanger of sorts and one that made me both laugh and tear up a little. (Maybe im just emotional lately but this book had me close to blubbering).

Good book overall but the in terms of the series standard, its one of the worst. All the same worth a read and not to be missed
on 31 July 2011
As we would hope, expect and delight in, there is more of Bones and Cat burning up the pages we read with their heat! The new twist is good too. Cat just can't catch a break. But that's one of the reasons we love her; she's tough as nails! Her little kitty cat, Helsing, also gets a mention.
This book is a must read if you're a Frost Fan, or a Cat+Bones fan, or even a vampire/romance/ultimate-steamy-exciting-thrilling-action-awesome book lover! :D
I would suggest you read the side stories, First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World) and Eternal Kiss of Darkness first though as the plots from them feature in this book. It just makes it clearer for you and you'll pick up on small one liners and things.

Enjoy this.
Can't wait for One Grave at a Time: A Night Huntress Novel: A Night Huntress Novel a Night Huntress Novel!!!!!!
on 22 November 2014
4.5 Stars.

Another action packed, edge of your seat, and very addictive thrilling ride in the Night Huntress series.

Cat and Bones have to be one of my favourite fictional married couples and in this one Cat takes a more dominant role (certainly from page 1!)

We see that Cat has not lost her humanity yet, with her Uncle Don being very unwell, and finding she (and her mum) don't want to let him go.

The villain in this story Apollyon, a ghoul, who is determined to kill Cat as he claims she could be turned into a ghoul / vampire hybrid thus being dangerous to both races. With a little indirect help from another ghoul (friend of foe, we are left hanging at the end to find out!), Cat has the means to help defeat Apollyon, with help from her friends and of course Bones.

I would recommend this book to any vampire fans.
on 8 March 2011
I enjoyed this instalment to the series, and found it fast paced and exciting albeit a bit less so than the the others. the ending seemed a little too simple but i am dying for the next book to come out as I expect it will be excellent.

This book was very emotional both between Cat and Bones and also the scene with Don. It was more of a calm ride for Cat and Bones though with a lot less of the relationship drama than the other books. The emotional side was more of a cementing of their feelings for each other.

I hadn't read any of the spin off books and I do wish I had read them first as some of the storyline from those books are mentioned here.

Overall a good addition to the series but not my favourite so far.
on 14 April 2011
I enjoyed this one, the reason for the 4 stars is because it just lacked in some places unlike the others. I found myself trudging through this one slowly. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed this book. I just though the others were better.

I love that we're reunited with Cat and Bones from page one-Cat having Bones chained to a wall is really funny. Cat is very much in charge in this one which was a nice change. All the other secondary characters return, Vlad Tepesh is especially funny in this book, relieving Bones of some of his funniness.

The situation with Don, shows Cat in a vulnerable side proving she hasn't quite lost her humanity. Very sad, but the end of the book shows that Don isn't done yet which is awesome to see :)

I don't really have much more to say, except that This Side of the Grave is another great addition to the Night Huntress series, and I'm looking forward to One Grave at a Time in the autumn to continue Cat and Bones' journey.

Read it!
on 16 September 2012
I loved this book!!! I had stumbled upon the Huntress novels and started reading "One Foot in the Grave" which was absolutely fantastic and I could not put it down until I had finished it,,,then,,I had no idea which one to get next,,having read my way through three more, I have discovered it really doesn't matter which order you read them, because they are written so well individually, the if you read them out of order it just gives you greater understanding of each character. thanks
on 3 September 2013
Have enjoyed Cat and Bones up until this book.
It was just the same story over again, nothing original or that interesting. I really struggled to finish it, so doubt I will buy any more of the series.
The reason I find this boring is that there is a distinct lack of mystery - we aren't waiting to find out anything other than, will they defeat the bad guys again?
If you're only interested in romance then it might appeal to you but this isn't why I read these books.