on 2 March 1999
This second book in the series of four charting the history of England from 55BC to the present day is a well written continuation of the series. Like the first it covers not only the Kings-and-Queens history but also mixes in a godd deal of social history and historial context. Hence we learn how Elizabeth I was able to succeed by playing off male suitors against one another, and why she was forced to execute traditional favourites such as Drake. By giving both dates and context it builds on this series of books that as a collection form a good background for the reader who has an interest in history, but not necessarily a previous knowledge of the age. Now in their seventh edition, the books have been honed to give the reader the maximum amount of information and enjoyment without becoming bogged down in detail or dense prose.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 August 2012
This series is an excellent introduction for the amateur/armchair historian, very readable and did a good job of helping me remember events in British history. Not to mention enjoyable, too. I'm not a historian so can't comment on the accuracy but it seemed well referenced and having commented on the contents to proper historians none have yet screamed in horror at any of my comments.