on 3 September 2012
I found this book really helpful, purely because it is simply written. I was diagnosed with FM 5 year ago and have been in and out of relapses ever since. The book has lots of useful ideas. Not all will work for everyone so best to keep an open mind, but even if just a handful work for you then surely it is worth a read. It has helped me most as I left it out for in my husbands view. He reads bits of it every now and again and he has started to be more sympathetic and supportive.
on 16 March 2014
I have only recently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and found this book very helpful. It has answered most of my questions and has given me hope for the future. I found the self help chapters particularly useful, especially the idea of having to 'pace' myself. This is not something I am used to doing as I am normally a very active person. I am beginning to listen to my body and rest when I should. I am hopeful that, over time, my symptoms will improve.
on 19 May 2013
This is the best of 4 books I have read on Fibromyalgia, giving good ideas on how to cope with the condition and ease the symptoms. Well worth getting if you have been diagnosed with Fibro,
on 15 February 2014
as a sufferer of fibromyalgia for several years, it just seemed to say a lot of things that
most people would say were common sense anyway, and as for telling us the symptoms
that we all know we had anyway, I was disappointed with this book, it gave me no more insight on how to help
live with this condition that I knew already
on 2 August 2013
Having just been diagnosed with FM I was looking for some good, practical advice. This was definitely one of the better books I came across and I have been avidly following the suggested nutritional information. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for advice on how to live with FM.
on 16 November 2013
Bought for my daughter who is still awaiting diagnosis but the more we read the more it looks like she has fibromyalgia. This book is easy to read and understand the tips are very useful . We took it to school who have now bought a copy as it is a very useful resource. It doesn't contain lots of medical language and isn't too long either - so ideal reading for teenagers ! Very pleased and the price was very good too
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 7 December 2012
This was helpful in understanding the symptoms and reassuring in what could and couldn't be done. Although didn't tell me anything new.
on 28 October 2012
This book was a great help to me I had this condition now for over 8yrs and nice to know there are simple things that can I do at home eg foods I eat never vitamins I can take. I have already recommend this book to a friend to has this condition too.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 28 June 2014
What kind of medical system tells you that you're doomed to a life of pain and suffering? To me, it's shocking that almost no mainstream doctors and so few "experts", much less writers of books like this, are aware that fibromyalgia is a symptom of low thyroid (hypothyroid), often adrenal fatigue (linked to sometimes hidden copper toxicity), progesterone deficiency, sulfur and magnesium deficiency and sometimes also B12 deficiency. Shocking.

Many of us benefit from high dose B12 even when tests are normal. Also, there are no lab tests for many causes of low thyroid, so at least 80% of us are mis-diagnosed, because your doctor will only treat lab tests, not you. More than 50% of us have low thyroid yet mainstream medicine claims only 5% of us are hypothyroid.

Of course I don't expect you to believe me, see for yourself with a very simple home self-test that's nevertheless more sophisticated than lab tests: the FREE basal (at rest) temperature self-test is THE gold standard for low thyroid problems and - with your symptoms - means more than any lab test (although most conventional doctors, including endos, won't agree but then they're not trained to understand thyroid problems - thyroiduk[dot]org[dot]uk offers a list of the very few thyroid sympathetic doctors in this country).

"Fibromyalgia" and "ME/CFS" are just names, not diagnoses. A real diagnosis means there is a cure (something that has been brushed away since medicine has so few cures - just synthetic drugs that oppose symptoms, all of which have "side" effects, meaning damage they don't want you to think about). Physicians have little or no way to heal or cure chronic health problems, or to provide adequate pain management. This failure means they are becoming obsolete.

The basal temperature home self-test will pick up conditions that current lab tests don't, such as thyroid resistance. Most digital thermometers are not accurate so find a good basal digital thermometer, the kind used by women to identify their fertile days.

The stopthethyroidmadness (STTM) website has excellent instructions for this self-test, as well as several for adrenal fatigue, which often goes hand-in-hand with low thyroid. The two most common health problems worldwide, they're rarely diagnosed or treated by clueless doctors, including endos. The STTM book puts most doctors to shame.

(I'd always suspected a thyroid problem but it was not until, after 20 years of being told all my lab tests were "normal", that Dr Durrant-Peatfield, the only Broda Barnes trained doctor now in the UK, finally put me on the road to recovery. A year after I insisted my cousin also see this doctor, she said I'd saved her life.)

I also suggest:

- `Hypothyroidism Type 2' by Mark Starr ("type 2" meaning the thyroid problems for which there are no lab tests and therefore they don't get diagnosed) explains how all chronic pain is linked to low thyroid, including those involved with fibromyalgia, diabetes, heart problems, both bleeding & blood clots (including strokes) and some cancers. If you have any kind of chronic pain, you need to know that some are calling low thyroid the silent epidemic (silent because officially denied);

- "Hypothyroidism, Health & Happiness: The Riddle of Illness Revealed" by Steven F. Hotze a good introduction;

- As there is rarely more than a brief mention of the benefits of iodine in thyroid books, I also suggest "Iodine, Why You Need It and Why You Can't Live Without It" by David Brownstein MD. The latest edition is available as an ebook from drbrownstein[dot]directfrompublisher[dot]com

- Platt has some interesting comments and suggestions about fibromyalgia in his book "The Miracle of Bio-identical Hormones: How I Lost My Fatigue, Hot Flashes, ADHD, ADD, Fibromyalgia, PMS, Osteoporosis..."

- "Could it be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses" by Pacholok and Stuart. Also, many with health problems also have high homocysteine levels in the body (a sign of high toxicity - but the NHS apparently will only test for homocysteine after a heart attack!) and one of the best supplements for that is HomocysteX Plus, which includes high doses of both B9 and B12 in the right forms(B9 and B12 must be supplemented together as they are partners and supplementing just one can mask a deficiency of the other, creating further problems). B12 lab tests are inaccurate and the best way to identify a deficiency is to take high dose B12 and B9 for a month.

- Dr John Lee's "Hormone Balance Made Simple" for progesterone deficiency and (as sulfur is needed to make progesterone as well as many other health needs) "The Methylation Miracle: Unleashing Your Body's Natural Source of SAM-e" by Frankel and "The DMSO Handbook for Doctors" by Scott.

- Why Am I Always So Tired by Gittleman: the many reasons most of us have too much copper in our bodies and how this causes adrenal burnout and fatigue.

- "The Calcium Lie II" is an intriguing book claiming to explain the root cause of most illnesses.

- any book by Sircus, including "Transdermal Magnesium Therapy" which explains that everyone with a chronic health problem has a magnesium deficiency.

Also, those with fibromyalgia type symptoms experience a significant reduction in their symptoms when taking a melatonin supplement and melatonin can reduce some symptoms of IBS, such as abdominal pain. Melatonin increases the conversion of precursor thyroid hormone T4 to the active T3 form. It can reactivate the important but much-ignored thymus gland, which degenerates almost completely over the years. It also improves zinc absorption, which in turn boosts several immune functions. Melatonin therapy also helps spleen recovery, another immune-system component which declines with age. Its ability to improve sleep and dreaming is a tremendous boon to memory. It is one of the most powerful antioxidants made by the body. Melatonin has been made illegal to sell in this country (only!) and NHS doctors are only allowed to prescribe a maximum of 2mg because it's been made so expensive (just like T3). Yet it is freely sold everywhere else in the EU and also in the US (try Amazon.com although there will be a customs charge when it arrives here).

Before you decide on this review: please check your basal temperature! It would be a tragedy if you just ignored this opportunity to regain health.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 13 February 2013
Having had fibromyalgia for 6 years I find it an important coping tool to read up regularly to remind you the things you are going through are normal for a fibro sufferer but as this illness progresses and new symptoms surface its nice to have a point of knowledge to refer to in order to cope. This book is informative, useful and easy to read which is important if one of your fibro symptoms is lack of attention span. I would definitely recommend it! :-)