Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 14 November 2009
I bought this book to read with others in my house group. I initially found it hard going, as Rohr's writing style is quite dense and he packs a lot into each chapter. Being a skim reader, I had to read each chapter at least twice before I could make any sense of it. However once I got into the book I was hooked and realised it was worth the effort in persevering. Rohr manages to extract so many themes and big picture ideas from the Bible that made so much sense. As the book progresses these themes also appear to interweave, and I found myself drawn back to the Bible seeing the detail in a whole new light.

There is so much wisdom in the book. One theme I really could engage with was the concept that as immature Christians we can be drawn to a simplistic rule based view of the world and our faith. As we grow we start to question and doubt this view, but many churches often see this doubt as loosing faith and try to contain such questioning. Eventually if we are allowed to move through this doubt, we can then reintegrate our faith moving to a third phase with a more mature faith that is less black and white and more resilient to what life might throw at us.
I suspect this is the heaviest book I have ever managed to read and although it is now back on my book shelf, it is a book to be re-read many times gaining new insights each time. However it has also been one of the most inspirational books short of the Bible itself, and well worth the effort in persevering.

I would recommend this book to anybody who struggles with the black and white view of Christianity presented in many of our evangelical churches today, but who does not see liberalism as the answer either. Be encouraged that a mature faith should stand up to questioning and believe the Bible is the inspired word of God without reducing your faith to a rigid set of rules.
on 15 November 2011
I enjoy Richard Rohr's clear, natural and easy-reading style. This book, which draws on Richard's psychological, philosophical and theological knowledge and experience, contains lots of inspiring insights. I found it best to read from beginning to end, rather than dipping in, in order to follow his train of thought. I particularly liked his gentle insistence that spirituality as relationship with God can be known differently and more profoundly through prayerful experience than theological rules or abstractions. Readers with a conservative or evangelical theological outlook may struggle with Richard's notion of progressive revelation. It can at times appear that he ignores, dismisses or subtly reworks Biblical texts that don't fit with the view that he already holds of God. Having said that, Richard is explicit about his theological method and his perspectives are well worth a read.
on 7 August 2010
This book requires concentration but explains the bible in a revolutionary way. The author succeeds by presenting a different interpretation to what is commonly presented in Christian churches. He shows that the message of Christ's salvation and parables have developed from the violent episodes in the Old Testament to reveal the God of love, forgivenes,and compassion.
on 17 September 2011
Helpful reflective perspective on Christian traditions, especially one's view of how God has worked in history through people. . Useful for challenging one's easily held and uncritical views about Scripture and God's ways.Definitely worth a read if only to make you think from a broader overview and see more of the wood than just the trees.
on 21 June 2013
Richard Rohr has changed the way I think about life. In his book 'Things Hidden' he takes the reader on a trip through the Bible to illustrate how scripture can be interpretated in the wonderfully positive way that he looks at the relationship that Jesus has with each of us. While there are many biblical references the reader can continue reading very smoothly without feeling the need there and then to interrupt the flow. However the book lends itself to an indepth study of biblical passages at a later stage should one wish to partake of such. As well as the above the book just teems with good sound sense!
on 9 September 2012
Things Hidden is an absolutely brilliant book. Pure wisdom. The argument is clear, concise and long overdue. The only question is why no one else is saying these things. Real lessons that the wider church MUST learn.
on 15 January 2014
affirms insights of a wider understanding of the bible. when read from non duality. this is the way forward for humanity as we accept our unique interconnectedness. recomended for all those who are awakening to the act that we are all part of a greater whole
on 25 August 2008
Rohr is improving. He's an experienced practical pastor, whose reflections on scripture are direct and commonsensical. His lines are often powerful: "We can't always be correct, but we can be connected", or "the best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better". And his questions are hard as an anti-Christian might ask: "was Jesus a sado-masochist? Did he relish victimhood?"

Throughout the book Rohr takes on the common self-righteous attitude that religion is about separating from or destroying evil. He shows how Jesus did the opposite, building relations with even the most despised and hated people. It's a kind of wisdom which I wouldn't call "hidden", just contrary to our more immediate reactions.

--author of Correcting Jesus: 2000 Years of Changing the Story
on 11 January 2013
In creative and interesting ways Richard Rohr leads the reader to explore the
deeper meaning of scripture - ways which call forth a new way of "seeing" and
take the reader beyond the more traditional ways of looking at Scripture. The
insights shared invite pause for thought and are an invitation to transformation
of life.
on 13 May 2014
I find all Fr. Richard Rohr' books inspiring. This one is very deep and full of highly reflective writings with new thinking .Fr. R. Rohr transforms the written word of God; discovering in the Bible new and vital meaning, relevant and essential for Christians of the 21st. century. He uncovers what the Bible says about morality, power, wisdom and the love and generosity of God in a manner that demands a life changing response from believers He offers a vision that can revolutionise how we see the world, relate to ourselves, others and the world. .