on 8 March 2010
In a self help industry populated with books on how to IMPROVE yourself, Cheri Huber thankfully offers another way. While I don't totally agree with her concept of how we are "socialised" in this book, her methods on how to love yourself, be yourself and stop being a huge bundle of manic worry are so useful. I can just pick up this book at almost any page and it offers support. Try her other stuff too, all variations on the same theme but all have useful insights and ways to untangle years of negative conditioning AND you don't need to be a buddhist.
on 15 December 2009
I've been studying and practicing Buddhism for some 15 years, if I was to have one book this would be it. Why?

Despite the title which is a bit sort of marketing self helpish stuff, it is the most straightforward exposition of the Buddhist teachings on the liberation through applied compassion.

If you want to grasp why self hate is a function of dealing with the day-to-day realities of our lives and how you can turn this to live an open liberated life then, get this book. Oh and I really enjoyed the way its written, `cuase its like a letter from a friend rather than all that dense text stuff that you have to wade through, the book is itself and expression of what it is teaching.
on 10 May 2008
I had high hopes for this book and felt I needed something substantial and authentic for this difficult and big subject. Instead I found it patronising, pretty annoying and even childish. I really respect that a lot of people feel they have been helped by this book, by reading the other reviews (which I based my purchase on) and am very happy for them, but I think this is an unusual kind of a book and people should be aware of that before they buy. I had not encountered a Cheri Huber book before and so was expecting a normal approach. Instead it is filled with large handwriting style writing, with sometimes only a line or two on a page, and a lot of SHOUTING, as if this is the way to make sure the message gets across... There is some good stuff in here, but it is smothered in gung-ho "lets all be fabulous" language, with little substance to back it up, little to go into the complexities and processes behind this painful thorny territory. As far as I have found, there are no real exercises to take the reader deeper into their situation/feelings/process, just mainly a lot of jolly positive statements. It could all be done in about 20 pages and if this book had cost about £3 I think that would be a reasonable deal. As it is, it feels very overpriced for what it is (more of a pamphlet than a book) and I would advice people to try and get a loan copy (maybe your local library has one?) before you buy to see if her very idiosyncratic style is something for you. I wish it had been for me but sadly not, I feel this was a pretty wasted ten pounds and I'll keep looking for something more helpful.
on 15 February 2008
Great book filled with humorous observations alongside hard-hitting truths. Designed to shake up the inner judge/critic that we all suffer from, with a healthy dose of self-compassion.
on 14 February 2014
I approached it with a level of cynicism as I do with anything under the 'self help' banner. BUT, I was immediately struck by this simple, easy to read book. There is no waffly or gimmicky nonsense. Just a very simple revealing book that opened my eyes a little to all of the emotional baggage you carry around and reasons we let ourselves become sucked into lives daily battles. We choose what upsets us and what we let take over our lives. This book gives you a nudge in the right direction.
on 28 December 2014
Thought provoking. A good lesson to all of us who pay heed to that inner nagging voice. Could help your self worth and repair insecurities.
on 7 June 2011
This is a easy to read book, in a personal handwritten style. It is very useful for someone starting to get interested in Buddhist ideas/philosophy or who is interested in self-help type books. It was very encouraging to read a book that helps you accept yourself as you are and not to feel under pressure from other people. It may not be to everyone's taste but I found it helpful.
on 21 December 2013
I was advised to read this book but I find it difficult to focus on the content because of the writing style and choice of font. It is terribly disjointed as if someone was jotting down rough notes as they entered their head and printed them off. This is probably in line with the title ... that everything is acceptable if it is your personal choice. Not mine unfortunately!
on 21 December 2008
I picked a copy of this book up in the middle of a very busy book shop. I had felt ill at ease and generally unhappy for years. I couldn't understand why. I opened the book, I read the first page that it opened at:
"You've been taught that there is something wrong with you and that you are imperfect, but there isn't and you're not".

I broke down in tears. I bought the book. I have never looked back.
on 26 September 2013
I loved this book, really got me thinking about how I live my life and how only I can affect it