HE S A MAN OF PEACE IN A SAVAGE LAND... SUBURBIA.
The films of director Joe Dante have taken us to some strange places a mysterious Chinatown antique store in Gremlins; a secluded resort populated by werewolves in The Howling; even deep inside the human body in Innerspace. But now he takes us to the strangest place of all surburbia!
Family man Ray Peterson (Tom Hanks) is looking forward to a week of putting his feet up at home in the quiet, leafy cul-de-sac of Mayfield Place. But his plans are scuppered by the arrival of new next-door neighbours, The Klopeks, whose behaviour and habits are more than just a little kooky. But things go from kooky to downright sinister when local old boy Walter disappears, leading Ray and his buddies to suspect their new neighbours of killing and eating him! Sure, the Klopeks are a strange bunch what with their digging up the backyard in the middle of the night but they re not devil-worshipping cannibal killers... are they?
If you re looking for a knowing slice of tongue-in-cheek terror then look no further than The Burbs. A standout horror comedy from a director who has given us more than his fair share of fun frighteners, The Burbs assembles a superb cast including Tom Hanks, Bruce Dern, Carrie Fisher and Corey Feldman in a tall tale of small-town terror. You ll never look at those eccentric neighbours in the same way again!
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
- Limited Edition SteelBook packaging
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the Theatrical cut, newly-restored from the original film elements
- Original uncompressed 2.0 Stereo PCM Audio
- Isolated Music and Effects Soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- New audio commentary with writer Dana Olsen, moderated by author Calum Waddell
- There Goes the Neighbourhood: The Making of The Burbs - A new feature-length documentary including interviews with Dante, actors Corey Feldman, Courtney Gains and Wendy Schaal, director of photography Robert M. Stevens and production designer James H. Spencer
- The original Workprint cut of the film transferred from Director Joe Dante s personal copy, on home video for the very first time - includes deleted and alternate scenes!
- A Tale of Two Burbs Video featurette comparing the differences between the Workprint and Theatrical cuts of the film, with optional audio commentary from Dante
- Alternate ending, presented in HD for the very first time
- Original Theatrical Trailer in HD
- Collector s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Kenneth J. Souza, author of Scared Silly: The Films of Joe Dante, and an article looking at the collaborations of Joe Dante and composer Jerry Goldsmith, illustrated with original archive stills and posters.
Tom Hanks stars in The 'Burbs, a sporadically funny extended sketch piece about a gaggle of suburban neighbours so preoccupied with mysteries taking place behind the closed doors of a newcomer that they go to extremes to look inside. The film is essentially a simple satire from director Joe Dante, for whom suburbia has been ripe territory for such comic-horror stories as Gremlins, Explorers, Matinee and Small Soldiers. Of all Dante's movies, The 'Burbs has the least story material to go around, and it depends heavily (and with modest success) on the comic powers of its cast--including Bruce Dern as a paranoid nut, Hanks as a Mr Normal type who loses perspective, and Rick Ducommun as Hanks' neurotic best friend. These appealing people hold one's attention, but by the end of the film, with nothing much having happened, even the cast can't mitigate an empty feeling. --Tom Keogh, Amazon.com
--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
See all Product Description