Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£17.49

on 2 September 2015
Brilliantly entertaining and hard to remember that this is not a work of fiction. Although also just as hard to imagine that he could write such a comprehensive account of events given that he was completely off his head on drugs for most of the time. He suffered Qualude amnesia but remembers all this! Anyway despite what may be true and what maybe an "embelishment" it was an entertaining read with some moments of disbelief. A moment in time. A snapshot of the madness of the 80s and a wonder that he came out of it alive.
This is the lengthy tale of the first career of Jordan Belfort, creator of one of the most successful penny share boiler rooms and an inveterate consumer of pharmaceuticals. He recounts his excessive spending, copulation and drug-consumption and the impact on himself and his family of this (and his illegal share dealing) ranging through divorce, jail and a lot of hospital time (Belfort has the constitution of Rasputin). It may sound like a mixture of Fear and Loathing and Liars Poker but the author is stuck between being maudlin, half-proud and half-shocked by what he did. In this he is probably correct but it makes him no less tedious.
on 5 February 2014
I saw the film without having read the book. It was a fairly good film - typically Scorsese with the music selection and the cinematography although I thought it was a little too long. Di Caprio was very good, as were the supporting actors, many of whom I hadn't really seen before.

I instantly bought the Kindle of the edition and ploughed straight through it. To cut to the chase, it is the autobiography of a guy who makes his millions through a stock broking / investment banking set-up which was immoral at best and downright illegal at worst. I was hoping that it would be a rags-to-riches and back to rags sort of book and fill-in some of the blanks that you expect from a film. It was however somewhat missing - you get the drug abuse, parties, debauched behaviour by his peers and employees and the illegal trading, but you don't get the story of how it all happened - in fact it gavies less of a picture than the film, usually it is the other way around.

Many of the anecdotes from the film are included in the book but they tend to become a little tiring repeated time and time again. When he describes his Rolex or cars, parties, houses, conquests in the bedroom (or wherever it takes his fancy!) it is without any sort of irony or sense that it will wear thin to the reader. It doesn't feel that there is any remorse from the author for the lives that his company ruined by selling worthless stock, the pension funds that might have been hit etc.

I wouldn't suggest reading if easily offended due to the bad language it contains - it doesn't bother me but each to their own. Overall it was OK, perhaps as a tale of greed and debauchery it was interesting - not greatly written but if you enjoyed the film the chances are you might enjoy the book. I don't think passing a moral judgement of an individual is a valid category on which to judge a book - the 3 stars represent that is is an interesting read and I've not read any accounts of broker millionaires before, if I was to award a points based on the antagonist/protagonist Jordan Belfort it would be a 1 star!
on 16 March 2014
Saw the film first and thought it was really entertaining so thought I'd give the book a try.

What a mistake - it has to be the most repetitive, boring and appallingly written book I have ever read. Even though it's only around half the length of a lot of the books I read I found it really hard going, mainly due to how badly this book was written. He repeats himself many times, talking about the same old things - things which on many occasions are just not interesting; Really, I didn't care how much your silk sheets cost the first time you told me, and I care even less after you've then proceeded to tell me again another couple of times. This is something that he does frequently throughout the book, as well as refer to people he encounters with - mainly derogatory - nicknames for pretty much everyone he encounters, including his own wife (loamy loins, I ask you!)

After finally getting to the end I formed the conclusion that here we have a book written by a person who has absolutely no morals at all, totally no understanding or remorse for the lives he's destroyed through his pursuit of sex, drugs and money. This book is simply 500 pages of bragging about how much better he is than practically anybody else (heaven forbid you go to work and earn an honest living for a modest wage packet because in his eyes you'd be nothing but pond scum). He also seems to remember conversations and events in almost exquisite detail and considering most of his time was spent high as a kite I fail to see how that can be possible so I believe that a lot of what happened in this book is embellished to an extent - I am left wondering how much of it is actually true and how much is his own imagination.

It's nothing but self indulgent rubbish and I certainly won't be reading his second book and throwing more money at him. He truly is a despicable man. He looks down on everybody else when in reality it is he who is the lowest of the low.
on 31 March 2016
Being full of intrigue from the film, I wanted to read the book just to sort out the true from the theatrical (even if it does mean I'm contributing more pennies to this man's pocket). The book is just as, if not more, crazier than the film. Although I do not condone Jordan Belfort's antics, I just could not put the book down. It's one breath taking adventure from start to finish and as he begins to become more and more unraveled his writing reflects his mental deterioration. Although towards the end, I felt that it lost its thread a little, dotting between incidents that didn't feel like were in chronological order, I would thoroughly recommend this book. Just to get a taste of "the lives of the rich and dysfunctional" as Belfort quite rightly puts it.
on 24 March 2016
Jordan's still laughing all the way to the bank at all of the fools who stupidly splashed out for this pile of rubbish. Our narcisstic and self-centered swindler of a narrator shows little growth or redemption in this party journal of a confessional. He's merely plying in sociopathic trade on the unwitting reader with hopes that his debaucheries can some how be excused. if you enjoy reading about the disgusting excesses of a filthy rich criminal struggling with moral ineptitude then this is the read for you.
on 26 March 2016
Very disappointing. Even if the book had been interesting, with at least some sympathetic characters, it would still have been about 50% too long. I am not sure if the author was trying to be contrite in this week but if be was he failed - what we got was endless pages of a frat boy telling us how crazy his life was. Hard enough to listen to this at the best of times but when it is coming from a crook? I won't be buying the sequel.
on 20 March 2016
I found parts could have been edited down significantly as some chapters failed to hold my attention and I found myself drifting.

Jordan isn't a likeable character but he's not supposed to be, he is however, fascinating. His behaviour is pure debauchery and how he got away with everything for so long is astonishing.

Read it, if only to learn how not to live your life should you become a multi-millionaire.
on 19 March 2016
I'm glad I only paid 99p for this book on my kindle. It has been made into a successful film with Leo, I thought - so it must be good! Wrong! In my opinion it is extremely badly written and I soon decided not to waste my time trying to finish it. I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about......
on 6 April 2016
Although I'd seen the movie, I didn't realise there was also a book until I read The Closer: A must read for all salesmen and business owners where the sales techniques are mentioned.

All in all, extremely entertaining read , but morally questionable!