VINE VOICEon 25 November 2007
Of all the Universal Studio's classic horror movies, `The Wolf Man' was my favourite. Stories of transformation from mild-mannered man into beast or super-hero were staples of my comic-book reading, and illicit horror film watching childhood. I still like a good werewolf story, so when I saw that Dark Horse had begun publishing sequels to those famous Universal films, my appetite was well and truly whetted.

`Hunter's Moon', I'm sorry to report, is a little disappointing. Michael Jan Friedman is clearly a gifted writer, but after its blistering opening chapters, this story gets stuck in a rut and meanders to such an extent that I began to wonder if anything was going to happen. My nervous anticipation waiting for the werewolf to make an appearance turned into petulant displeasure as Lawrence Talbot's lycanthropic alter-ego failed to impact on the story. All too often, Talbot transforms only for his moonlit escapades to be given short shrift by the author.

The basic storyline is that Talbot is removed from his resting place, and taken to live in, for want of a better phrase, a werewolf sanctuary. The novel's conclusion is hastily cobbled together, and, given the flat and lengthy middle section of the story, leaves the reader unsatisfied. The bulk of the novel is seen from Talbot's perspective. I can't help feeling that, given the slow pace of much of the story, it might have benefitted if some of the other characters had been given a higher profile.

If it's been a while since you've watched `The Wolf Man', it may be worth your while revisiting the movie before embarking on this novel because there are a number of references made to events in the film.