Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Learn more

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 May 2011 20:49:40 BDT
J. Schwarz says:
I was reading about the different regions with DVD games. The European version is 18+ but I do not see it on Amazon in the US. If I buy the game from Amazon UK will it work on a US PC which is supposed to be region 1 while Europe is region 2? Any info would be appreciated.

Posted on 17 May 2011 23:12:56 BDT
Mirko says:
Afaik, DVD regions only affect video playback... (and I use the word 'affect' in a rather loose way...) in fact I don't remember ever seeing a region code logo on game boxes, as opposed to movies - and besides, you'd just have to take a look at the cover of a couple boxes you got there in order to make sure.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2011 00:35:22 BDT
J. Schwarz says:
Okay then I guess I will purchase it from the UK. Why doesn't the US have the 18+ game in the States? I really appreciate that you took the time to post an answer. Thanks.

Posted on 18 May 2011 09:28:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 May 2011 09:29:52 BDT
Mirko says:
You're welcome.
Also, you could take a look at what wikipedia says about "DVD region code".

I actually thought that ESRB's M was the same as PEGI 18, but in fact it seems they are not, since M is a 17+. It would be interesting to know what exactly they 'censored out' of the European version (I'd bet it's some nudity).
As for the reason... I fear it's all in the puritan cultural backgound, as if a nipple could be more 'vulgar' and/or corrupt young 'immaculate' minds (yeah, right) more than bloodbaths, killings and violence in general.

Go figure...

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2011 14:33:54 BDT
J. Schwarz says:
I have to check Amazon in Canada to see if they have the 18+ rating. It really seems stupid to me. It appears that the American censors are really prudes with this. I hope the game is as good as the first Witcher, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  17 May 2011
Latest post:  18 May 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Witcher 2 - Premium Edition (PC DVD)
The Witcher 2 - Premium Edition (PC DVD) by Namco Bandai (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
4.0 out of 5 stars (125)