on 19 January 2013
I was gripped from the very beginning of this book and I stayed up until 3.30am to finish it! I was totally engrossed in the story of Gareth and Juliet. Gareth is a rakehell and leader of the Den of Debauchery, a group of fellow rakes who drink, gamble, sleep around and play pranks on just about anyone. On his way home one evening, Gareth comes across a stage coach being held up by highwaymen. Being his usual, impulsive self, he decides to help the poor victims and stop the robbery. He manages to do just that, but not before getting himself shot. Juliet, who was on the coach, looks after him whilst waiting for help, which comes in the form of the other members of Gareth's gang. They are taken to Blackheath, Gareth's ancestral home.

Juliet is from Boston, one of the colony's in America which is now at war with the Redcoats. She is travelling to Blackheath with her baby daughter to throw herself on the mercy of her dead fiance, Charles' family as he asked her to should anything happen to him. She doesn't realise until she is on her way there after Gareth is shot that the injured man in her arms is Charles' brother.

I won't go into anymore detail as I don't want to spoil the story for anyone, but what follows is a gripping and heartfelt romance between a woman torn between her feelings for two brothers, one living, one dead and a man who wants to prove that he isn't a useless wastrel, especially to the woman he has fallen in love with and his older brother.

Gareth is a flawed but lovable hero, he is kind, funny and compassionate but also strong, he knows how to fight! Juliet is a strong heroine and compliments Gareth perfectly and the passion between them sizzles! All of the characters are very well developed, even the secondary characters leap off the page, especially Lucien, Gareth's dark and manipulative older brother. I can't wait to read his story!

This is a great story, it has everything, humour, drama, sex, betrayal and I advise anyone who enjoys historical romance to buy it. I purchased the second book in the series before I had finished this one and can't wait to start reading it.
on 28 October 2012
Nothing better than going back to the past to forget the present for a while. Got to love books for allowing you to escape. And this lovely book will just grab you and lead you into its world so easily !

I really enjoyed it. The plot, the characters, I liked the mixture of romance and the little suspense, I liked the humour and all the feelings it raised in me.

The other ones are on my TBR. Can't wait to get to them :)
on 8 November 2012
A good story with some juicy reading, looking forward to reading others in the same `Monte` series, samples are great on Kindle as I dont waste time reading a book and discard it half way through
on 27 October 2012
Wow! What an excellent book. I couldn't believe it's free! This book draws on your heart stings! I laughed, cried and cheered the hero. The characters had great depth. I automatically downloaded the other two brothers story. Would definitely recommend this.
on 27 December 2012
A new author for me.

A definite 5 star read for this one. I have to admit that I did accidentally add it to my rubbish read pile without thinking too much .... I would most sincerely like to apologise to the authorise as it categorically did not reserve that rating ... gulp, I had mixed it up with another book title (which deserved a minus review!!!).

Well written, with a nice bit of smut, I loved it and can't wait to read the rest of her series and would urge you to give her a go.
on 26 October 2012
My first read by this author and I have immediately purchased the next two! Down to earth, realistic dialogue and very funny in parts. Loved every minute of it just wished it had been longer.
on 22 January 2013
I haven't really read historical novels before so I can't really comment on how realistic the portrayal of the characters or period is. However it is a nice read and a good length - enough to get me to read the others in the series.
on 16 March 2013
After reading the summary I wasn't sure I wanted to read a book where the heroine was engaged, had been in love with and had a baby with the hero's brother(even if he was now dead). The hero had lived his whole being compared to the now dead brother and always coming short. Yes, the author tells a very emotional and loving story with the obvious happy ending but my mis-giving s didn't completely disappear. Why would "the wild one", the totally loveable hero end up with his brother's ex fiancé? Was he still not good enough for the author to give him his very own cinderella? Yes, it was a good love match but I feel like my favourite of the de montforte brothers was still being made to come second to his beloved brother hence the three star rating.
Apart from my personal mis-givings, it was a truly moving story. Very well written. The author's knowledge of the south east of England and London made it quite enjoyable for me. She describes things so vividly you could almost imagine being there. Really well written
on 22 January 2013
I loved this book even though some parts were predictable i still had to carry on reading it. I now have to purchase the next 2 books as i need to know how the story pans out .
on 4 February 2016
This book started well but I just found the awful anachronisms and badly researched historical detail just too dreadful to accept and ended up skipping to the last chapters. Such a shame, it could have been so much better, the story was good, just so irritating with constant references to English aristocrats drinking whisky (surely more likely to be brandy at that time?) and using working class swear words of much later periods. Why will these American writers not do a bit more research? Some do, like the excellent Ashley Gardner and her wonderful Captain Lacey books, if she can do it why can't the others? I shall sadly not be reading any more from this writer. If you don't care about a proper period feel, it would probably be a good read, but not for me.