Customer Discussions > My Generation forum

The Who's debut on CD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Nov 2012 11:40:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Nov 2012 11:41:34 GMT
Who fans will be delighted to finally get a general release of the original mono version. The mono mix together with the stereo mix plus bonus tracks has of course been available in a Japanese limited edition deluxe box which I was lucky enough to pick up on release in 2008. My Generation (Collectors Box SHM-CD) I wonder why Japan gets releases that are in every way superior to the ones for the rest of the world. Please discuss.

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 21:55:01 GMT
M.Smith says:
Like most releases from the 1960s The Who's were made for the "mono" market and this is how they are best heard. When My Generation and the rest were released people were listening on mono equipment and the stereo mix was only released - if at all - as an afterthought. Stereo was considered a very niche market. I believe EMI were really surprised that when they re-released the re-mastered Beatles catalogue in 2009 how much interest was shown in the specially prepared, and limited number, mono box. If only ALL artists from the 1960s - obviously including The Who - could have their catalogues released similarly, then the fans could make up their own minds which version to go for - and not just be lumbered with the usually inferior stereo mix.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  My Generation forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  30 Nov 2012
Latest post:  18 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
My Generation
My Generation by The Who (Audio CD - 2012)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (35)