Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 May 2014
I'm going to start with what I consider negative points about this book, and because it's written by an American, I shall try to stifle my "Englishness" when faced with twee sayings on every page. In view of what else it contains, that sounds like a petty criticism, so do forgive me. What is twee to some, is life enhacing to others. <unwedging my tongue from my cheek>

I loved this book so much. Loved the colour, the enthusiasm just oozes from every page, again the colour and pattern, and I can't go on about that often enough. I haven't really tried calligraphy in any shape or form, but I do love writing, and have great handwriting, so a book like this is one I shall be keeping next to my bed.

Today, I'm going to paint up some sheets of paper, dig out my assorted markers and get my butt into gear and WRITE!
You'll gather that my writing won't be containing the word "love" but the suggestion that you collect ads and stuff that inspires you from magazines has me digging around in my stack of old art mags.

Buy this book if you love colours, lettering, even if you don't care, still buy it. Can I say any more?
on 16 June 2014
I recently took an art journaling workshop which focused more on the techniques of making pages rather than the lettering. I wanted to learn more about lettering and this has really fit the bill. Lots of examples and encouragement.
on 13 September 2014
This is a good book but I had hoped for more lettering templates that I could copy. That said it does give lots of hints and tips of how to improve your writing and lettering skills which is what I had wanted. It also contains lots of ideas and advice on materials and how to use them. All in all I don't think you would be disappointed if you bought this book. I think a wire bound book would have been good so you can turn the pages and practice with the book open whereas it had to be weighted down to keep it open. I like Joanne Sharpe's style and versatility in use of art mediums so you cant go wrong with her expert advice at your finger tips and joyful use of colours.
on 23 May 2014
I've been really looking forward to receiving this book. I pre-ordered it back in March, but only just now received it, even though it's been out for a while. Great value at the pre-order price. Thanks, Amazon! It's full of great ideas to spice up your art journals with creative lettering. Lovely, colourful pages throughout to inspire you. I'll probably sleep with it tonight, LOL!
on 10 August 2014
I was a little disappointed with this book. It was not really what I was expecting. It's mostly about practicing and discovering your own lettering style. It's OK though. It does have a few examples of lettering styles but I was hoping for more.
on 28 July 2014
Even if you are like me, enthusiastic, but not very talented at all things crafty!, this book is great, it's inspiring and it brings out the inner child in me. I am enjoying playing around with pens and pencils and all kinds of stuff, eventually I hope to produce something that is worthy of a place in my home. This book is a good place to start if like me you want to "produce" something by hand but have not thus far managed to be able to actually do anything worthwhile. simple, colourful, useful for anyone who wants to create a bit of art without buying a load of expensive stuff.
on 15 September 2014
Harder to use than an actual paper book, but it was the price that got me to buy the Kindle version.

Just need the time to sit and play and experiment!
on 21 May 2014
This is a lovely book packed with interesting ways to create your own lettering to suit all sorts of creative projects.
on 29 March 2015
Love this book. Got my brain working about a subject I try to avoid! My artwork has improved because of its input. Lots of styles to try out on your own. No instant fixes but plenty to have a go at.
on 5 October 2014
Such a beautiful book, I absolutely loved it. Joanne's style is exuberant, eye catching and wonderful fun, I would recommend it to anyone with a love of lettering and bold splashes of vibrant colour.