The welfare state quiz.
Some major welfare state dates.
Author's preface: growing up with the welfare state.
1. From Stanley Matthews to Vinnie Jones.
2. Social Security: Catherine's four dead boys and Frank's bingo blow-out.
3. The NHS: like a train crash every day.
4. Education: eleven years at school and still illiterate.
5. Housing: from 'homes fit for heroes' to Rachman and Damilola Taylor.
6. Parenting: Princess Diana and the habits of the apes.
7. Pensions: Octavia warned us.
8. Tax and growth: Harold Wilson versus John Who?
9. The reckoning (including the damage done by the welfare state in diagrammatic form.
10. If the welfare state is so bad, why don't we get rid of it?
Afterword: Why do people talk more about 'poverty' now that there is less of it?
Ten things wrong with the welfare state.
Ten explanations of the failure.
Four reasons why the welfare state is never likely to succeed.
Personal reflections on writing "The Welfare State We're In".