on 16 August 2006
If you are looking to be told secrets of the Ninja of old then this book is for you.Having said that the secrets are not clear for all to see.The author and translator challenge you to change your way of thinking as, as the translator says, it's what is not written that is important.Another excellent book by Hatsumi it shows why his students just call him 'The Boss'.
on 10 May 2014
This book takes you straight to Japan, the lay-out and artwork offers a mysterious setting to read the very interesting text by the current ninjutsu ninpo grandmaster. Great pictures!
on 9 January 2010
To the uninitiated this book will make no sense and i would think that even to many, you will struggle to see into it. I think that high level students can access what is in here but for most of us we may struggle, but then again no pain no gain.mmmm thinking caps on have a good look take it all in.A painting can be just a picture or it can say a lot it can even tell a lot about the artist.My teacher would say I am here to guide you but certain things in ninjutsu can't be taught you have to discover them for yourself.If I wasn't changing my life at present one could use the the term seeing into the world of spirits.For most I would say just ask a high level student and try build a puzzle ask many people on the side and you may get the picture.I would say that you can learn many physical techniques but the unclear things is where you truely see what its all about.The ninja art is a secret art well heres the secrets.Some years back I didnt know what toad magic was but once it was explained to me theres nothing mysterious in it at all.Perhaps just ask. This is a good book and I hope that this helps.
on 22 April 2010
A wonderful read, filled with Sensei's philosophical musings and reflections on the importance of Ninjutsu for the practitioner and the world at large. Although hazy at times and somewhat difficult to decipher, Dr. Hatsumi's writing style is intentionally vague and filled with metaphor. Even reading is a form of training and one must learn that between the lines are the true messages of what Soke wants to teach us. I must confess that often times I fail to see the whole picture, but that it the wonderful part of reading his books, you can go back three and four times and always get a new feeling from what you've read. As many have stated in the past, these books are designed to accompany work with a qualified instructor, not a source of learning by itself, the techniques pictured are incomplete and often times out of order in his books, and it is done intentionally. I would highly recommend this book and all of the others that Sensei has written, they are invaluable training tools and life guides.
on 2 August 2012
I love this book and have been lucky enough to get it sighned by the author read it three times and always refer back to it for reference, recomend it to all bujinkan practitioners
on 31 May 2009
The book was not what i expected it to be. Coming from a great ninja he tends to beat around the bush too much when it comes to certain techniques and ideas. More on philosophy than techniques...that was probably a ninja technique on its own. To add to that half the pictures are blurred...he goes on to add that a picture is just a picture without the effects or something. Sorry but this book doesn't tick my box.
on 11 April 2011
Following the worst financial downturn since the Great Depression, with the subsequent loss of my job as a florist, I had decided to re-train for an alternative career as a private ninja. You don't see many advertisements by ninjas in the Yellow Pages, so I reasoned that I'd be onto a winner once I'd re-trained. The problem I came across is the lack on ninja training courses available at universities and colleges. I'd almost given up on the idea, until I came across this book!
The Way of the Ninja - Secret Techniques provides everything that a ninja in training needs to know to become a successful, private practitioner in the unorthodox arts of war originating from feudal Japan. From the basics of combat, including the spinning kick, dragon punch and flaming uppercut to how to use weapons such as nunchucks, samurai swords and shruiken (throwing stars to non-ninjas), this book provides comprehensive coverage. I am now able to provide a comprehensive set of services to the public, including espionage, infiltration, sabotage and assassination. However, business has been, to say the least, rather slow for me and I blame this on the book.
Although this book teaches you how to become a ninja, there is no information provided on how to successfully run your own business as a ninja. I've subsequently come up against all kinds of problems, such as how to effectively advertise my services, where to source my field supplies from (where can I buy my smoke bombs and a cross bow?) and how to ensure customer satisfaction and repeat business. Further, as with plumbers, gas engineers and doctors, I strongly suspect that there is a national database that all practising ninjas need to register on for quality assurance, but again this book provides no help here. So, although this book is a godsend for anyone who want to train to be a ninja, don't expect any help on the practicalities of actually being a ninja.