on 5 March 2012
The Viper Contract tells the story of an ex US Air Force fighter pilot, Colin Pearce, who has been forced to take up a career as a contract pilot, ferrying businessmen and the like around. The money's good, but it doesn't excite him the way his former profession did. And then something happens to change all that. He is approached by the CIA to act as an undercover agent in a daring and deadly airstrike which could have disastrous consequences reverberating around the world.

The bulk of the story is based on the time he spends undercover. The mercenary outfit that recruits him firmly believes he is onside - although one or two maybe have their doubts. But it's a strange life. He has no idea where in the world he is, and the attitudes of the some of the women - who seem to be competing for his attention - is somewhat bemusing. But, of course, he can't possibly ignore their advances!

The plot of this book is excellent. It moves at a great pace, and on the whole, the characters are well defined. I was puzzled by some of their behaviours from time to time, but nothing that detracted from the story. It is tense and exciting, and written by a man who understands his subject well.

There were two very small issues that just prevented me giving this book five stars. The first was that Broyhill did dwell on the detail of some of the plane's functions. If you are an aeroplane enthusiast - you will love this. I'm not, so in a couple of places I skipped ahead. But it's a pretty minor issue, to be honest. The other thing was the very end of the book, where I felt that two of the characters behaved in a manner which didn't fit well with their cutthroat vicious characters. But in realty, this was the last page of the book, more or less - and overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

This review was written by Rachel Abbott for the Kindle Book Review
on 17 June 2012
I'm a little torn with this book. It should have been good, it read well and kept me reasonably engaged, but, well I just don't know.

The book follows an ex Viper jet pilot who discovers a friend has been caught up in some ever so shady business. He is recruited by the CIA (before he is approached by this group) and manages to `save the day'.

The book reminded me very much of a Lee Child story; very American in style and very action packed. The problem I had with it was that, whilst Broyhill clearly writes and describes the jets from his own personal experience, I found it all just a little tedious. It was interesting, to begin with. But the intricate level of detail in terms of flight patterns, jet controls etc was just a little too much for me. An ex pilot or similar might enjoy it, but for the lay person wanting to read a general book it was all a little too much, and, ultimately was the thing that made me rate it as a 3 star book.

The writing is good, and clear, and the story flows well. There are some irritating typing errors in the book though that a good editor would have picked up, but overall the book was good.

I'll be interested to see how the Colin Pearce series develops, and will check out future books by Broyhill.