Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£11.99

on 3 February 2006
Back when I was 12 the Oliver Stone film of The Doors came out and I heard Light My Fire on the radio. I had never really thought anything of "old" music up to that point - I was listening to modern chart stuff like U2 and Iron Maiden (this was 1991!). I decided to buy this Doors collection and it changed my musical tastes and outlook for ever. Now I am into loads of older music like Dylan, Pink Floyd, Hendrix etc(aswell as modern stuff of course I love techno) but it started with this album. I was too young to know much about being stoned and stuff but this album took me on such a head trip it made me want to find out what other strange music was out there. These songs made me want to explore mysticism and the whole hippy ethos, pretty mind expanding for a 12 year old. I remember being blown away by The End and When The Music's Over, rocking out to LA Woman and Roadhouse Blues, chilling out to The Crystal Ship. I became slightly obsessed with Jim Morrison and his legend, even doing a talk in music class about The Doors and Jim's antics. The Doors helped me break on through into a new type of music, I remember at the time trying to turn my friends over to The Doors when they were listening to C+C Music Factory/other poor early 90's stuff. I succeeded. The joy of "discovering" this music is what spurs me on now to always take risks and try out old obscure bands because it feels great to have a band you love but noone else knows or cares about.
This CD is the ultimate Doors best of and alongside The Doors In Concert is the essential Doors purchase for someone new to this awesome band.
on 10 July 2013
The highlights are the best known songs - "Riders on the Storm, The End, Light My Fire, People Are Strange, Break On Through, Hello, I Love You", which is why I wanted this this CD. Great to have the full length version of "The End", sometimes on other compilations it has been edited a lot. Very pleased with previously owned product.
on 12 July 2013
jim morrison and co really did make some excellent songs they envoked the sounds of the sixties. its a shame jim morrison died so young who knows what they would have written had he lived longer. i would recommend this cd to anybody who likes good song writing meaningful lyrics and amazing music a must
on 20 June 2014
Mention The Doors and most people immediately think of Jim Morrison, but this collection bring home to me just how talented a keyboard player the late Ray Manzarek was.

The highlights on this disc are too numerous to mention, but suffice to say that most of them are highlights because of Ray Manzarek. Exceptions are Spanish Caravan, which stands out because of the guitar, and Roadhouse Blues, a good old-fashioned R&B song with harmonica.

The lengths of the songs vary tremendously: the shortest is People Are Strange at 2 minutes 9 seconds and the longest The End at 11 minutes 41 seconds. The End is the reason for four stars rather than five - it's simply too long. Contrast this with When The Music's Over at 10 minutes 55 seconds - despite being a similar length, there is enough variety within this song to keep it interesting all the way through.

It's noteworthy that The Doors were not dependent on a singer. Light My Fire contains a lengthy (but enjoyable) instrumental section in the middle. That may not sound very unusual, but it was in its day.

One more minor disappointment - Touch Me, my personal favourite Doors song, is only 3 minutes 10 seconds - that's a song I really could enjoy for 11 minutes!

An excellent collection for the casual Doors listener.
on 16 May 2000
Unless you are one of those die hard Jim fans (and I live with one) who even has recordings of his poetry in addition to all Doors albums, then apart from a couple of chunes which should be on this, but are not, this is essential in a CD collection.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 April 2016
Vocalist Jim Morrison passed away too young, he was only 27 when he died, but, along with the rest of his band, left behind a legacy of influential American rock music, with lyrics that remain timeless. I have to say, that the best of The Doors' music in my opinion are all the well-known hits, and this classic two CD greatest hits set, originally released in 1985 and since remastered, contains all of the essentials.

Such essentials include the full-length 'Light My Fire, which remains my favourite version of this popular song, 'People Are Strange', the psychedelic 'Strange Days', 'Break on Through (to the Other Side)', and 'Love Me Two Times', which was later covered by Aerosmith. As well as these familiar recordings, we also have a few deeper cuts like the band's excellent version of 'Alabama Song', which remains the greatest reading I've heard of this poem by the late German poet Bertolt Brecht. The band's own two famous epic poems, 'When the Music's Over', and 'The End' end out disc one and two.

This popular 'Best Of' collection is the perfect way for you to become antiquated with The Doors, and might even encourage you to seek out further releases by this iconic band. The booklet contains an affectionate short essay by The Doors' manager Danny Sugerman, who writes about the band's origins, influences, and the personality of Jim Morrison.
on 28 February 2001
What a fantastic group. Controversially, Jim Morrison was absoloutely fantastic. His lyrics have NEVER been matched ever. Songs like "Light my Fire" and "Break on Through" really give me a buzz. 30 odd years on they remain the greatest group ever to have lived. All of the classics and few extras are cramed into this 2 CD set. It's an absoloute bargain. They are was wonderful today as they were 30 years ago. Long live Jim Morrison.
on 15 March 2013
This has to be the best selection available. Not remastered or remixed to suit modern tastes, just unadulterated. A perfect CD
on 31 January 2013
IL MEGLIO DEL MEGLIO DEL MEGLIO SE VI PIACCIONO FA AL CASO VOSTRO IL BEST CHE CONTIENE UN MONDO CHE NON TORNERA' PIU' GUSTATEVELO CON ATTENZIONE ALBUM CONSIGLIATO
IL ROBY
on 19 June 2014
Who can forget Jim and his songs ? These 2 CDs contains all the best songs of the Doors, from melodies to rock songs.
We'll always love you, Jim.