Are you limited on space, but still find yourself yearning to grow vegetables?
If so, vegetable container gardening may be the answer. As long as you have room for a container or two (or twenty), you can grow vegetables pretty much anywhere you want. They can be grown on your porch, your balcony or even on a fire escape. Container gardening allows you to quickly and easily set up a small garden that will provide you with vegetables for years to come.
The following topics are covered in this handy guide:
- What container gardening is.
- The benefits of vegetable container gardening and why it's a good choice for aspiring gardeners.
- The 4 simple and inexpensive items you need to get started.
- Designing your vegetable container garden.
- Choosing a location for your containers.
- Choosing a container.
- A quick rundown of the pros and cons of the various materials containers are made of.
- What raised beds are and why they are a better choice than traditional gardens.
- How self-watering containers can save you from over- or under-watering your plants.
- What you need to know about soil.
- How to determine the pH of your soil.
- Good vegetables and herbs for container gardening.
- Growing vegetables in a shaded area.
- Reading a seed catalog.
- Starting seeds and transplanting seedlings.
- Fertilizing your plants.
- Integrated pest control.
- How to bring root bound plants back to life.
- Helpful tips for beginners.
This book is perfect for those new to the world of vegetable container gardening. It has all the information you'll need to start your own vegetable garden at home using containers of your choice. In addition to general information about vegetable container gardening, the author discusses 16 common vegetables and gives you the information you need to successfully grow them in containers.