on 14 August 2009
This is of the only cookbooks I've ever been inspired to cook recipes from. I've already tried five of the dishes, and each one has been delicious - they even received glowing reviews from my omnivorous friends! Colleen thoughtfully punctuates each section with interesting notes on entertaining, survival tips for friends and family of vegans and fascinating facts about the ingredients used. For a beginner like myself, I found everything very easy to follow, and being English appreciated the use of both 'cup' and weight measurements. I can't recommend this book highly enough - for both vegans and omnivores.
on 9 November 2010
This is a wonderful book and unlike a lot of veggie/vegan cookery books it has some really different recipes, not just the same old nut loaf/lentil stew I've come to expect. The recipes are elegant,healthy, very tasty indeed and have introduced me to some new ingredients. It is an American book so I have used less of the sweet ingredients and appreciate the measurements being in grammes not just American 'cups'. I have got lots of veggie cookery books and have been cooking veggie/vegan kit for decades now and I think the is by far the nicest book I have come across and I'm sure my other half would agree!
on 21 April 2010
WOW!!! This book is amazing!! I am not a complete Vegan, but this is still my favourite cookbook. I love the variety of the recipes; there are easy and fast recipes, and more complicated.. You can even make a lot of these meals for the rest of the family and they wont notice they aren't eating animal products!
Very easy to follow the instructions, and very estetically pleasing to leaf through as there are a lot of delicious looking pictures.

LOVE this book!
on 24 October 2010
This cookbook is really easy to follow and has a huge amount of brilliant recipes and ideas (some you would never have thought of). There are recipes for everything from cookies to curries. This is helpful if you are just starting with veganism or are looking for new ideas. The book is bright and colourful and makes you want to cook!
Also check out Colleen's podcast, Vegetarian Food for Thought.
on 27 April 2012
This book should be a part of any vegan's collection for a multitude of reasons. Firstly, the recipes are varied and delicious. The recipes in this book are not just for entertaining. There is a mix of simple, basic recipes that make good weeknight meals, and more elaborate recipes for special occassions. The majority of the ingredients are things that the average person, vegan or not, will know, and any unfamiliar ingredients are thoroughly explained. Most importantly, the majority of the dishes I have tried have been delicious, and my meat-eating boyfriend likes them too. My favourites have been:

Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Soup
No-Queso Quesadllas
Carmelized Tempeh Shawarmas
Tuscan White Beans with Sun-dried Tomatoes
Decadent Chocolate Truffles

I like a really readable cookbook, and you can definitely curl up with this one. It's full of little bits of information about food and living as a vegan and her party ideas and suggestions are really cute and inspiring.

A couple of people have complained about the format, but I think the format is fun, and I don't really see the problem. The index is comprehensive and each section has a table of contents, so it's not like it's hard to find recipes, or recipes containing certain ingredients.

As other reviewers have noted, the photographs and layout are also very pretty.
on 3 January 2015
Bought my copy via betterworldbooksltd

It arrived safely, thank you!
Been wanting this book for months - renewing Cardiff library's only copy over and over until someone else wanted it. Thank you for the very reasonable price - this woman's books are normally expensive to get sent over from the US. Did not mind the condition it was in so the ex-library one you sold me is fantastic. :)

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on 23 July 2016
This is my favourite cook book and I'm only half way through. Along with the recipes it has tit bits and anecdotes and a personal touches from Colleen. I'm reading it cover to cover like a normal book and it's inspiring. I've already made a handful of the recipes and they are delightful.
I'm a new vegan and family entertaining was getting stressful. I feel the pressure to show friends and family that food without meat eggs and dairy is filling, delicious, nutritious and beautiful. This book fills the void. I love the layout, chapters for dining style (romantic dinner for two, casual dining for 4-6, more formal dining for larger crowd etc) which are then divided by suggested menus, further divided by season. This is fantastic. I wanted this book to help me with entertaining and showing of a vegan diet in the very best light. This makes it so easy. Pick your kind of dinner, find the season and there are a couple of menus to choose from. Each chapter has each recipes listed as soups, sandwiches, mains, desserts for example so you can just cherry pick that way.
It's an extremely warm and heartfelt book full of compassion which has made my decision to make my table vegan, an easy decision indeed.
on 19 November 2015
Really good book with diverse range of recipes and menu ideas. The recipes are fairly simple, yet effective and I'm particularly pleased that they are made with 'normal' ingredients, unlike so many vegan cook books which require many costly and hard to find ingredients. This booked has really helped my transition from omnivore to veganism. I also recommend checking out her food for thought podcast.
on 29 May 2011
I can't wait to throw a party! This is an excellent cookbook filled with so many beautiful recipe ideas as well as little facts about the food you're eating. Thank you Colleen!
on 8 February 2016
I was a bit overwhelmed with learning how to cook vegan, but Colleen makes it so easy and so delicious! The book has a theme of meals for entertaining so it's really great for making meals to impress your friends! Check out The Joy of Vegan Baking and her podcast 'Food for Thought' too.