A number of reviewers say that this show grows on you episode by episode, and I agree. It seems that the writers and actors have now really found their pace here in season 2.
This is a season of many developments in the town of Mystic Falls after the major drama that ended season 1.
Poor baby vampire Anna, plus Mayor Lockwood, are dead but everyone else is pretty much still around.
Vampire Diaries has so much more to offer than the Twilight series - people who can act for starters (and do not merely look really hot), plus a great script.
As I understand it, 'The Vampire Diaries' is supposedly aimed at teenage girls. Well I am neither, yet this series (I think at least) is one of the best shows on TV right now.
The performances are first rate, and constantly go off in directions that are full of surprises, not to mention fun.
The founding families of Mystic Falls are mostly all back, including the Salvatores, the Gilberts, the Fells, the Forbes and the Lockwoods. As ever, they guard the town mainly from vampires, but also creatures such as werewolves and witches, some of whom are themselves members of the Founders' Council.
I would hate to give too much away, but there are several key developments in Season2:
1. a key character is 'turned' and becomes a vampire
2. werewolves start to make an appearance, courtesy of the Lockwood family. They are able to kill a vampire with one bite at full moon
3. Elena Gilbert's (Nina Dobrev), doppelganger, Katherine, wreaks all kinds of havoc
4. more witches come to town...not a good thing
5. Damon (the excellent Ian Somerhalder)gets a love interest
6. an all round bad-ass vampire appears, Elijah (Daniel Gillies), with a curious agenda.