THE VALLEY (Obscured by Clouds) (DVD + Blu-ray)
A film by Barbet Schroeder
When Viviane (Bulle Ogier), a chic diplomat's wife, meets an intriguing adventurer (Michael Gothard) and his hippy friends in the wilds of Papua New Guinea different worlds collide. The group, led by enigmatic visionary Gaetan (Jean-Pierre Kalfon), convince Viviane to join their expedition in search of a mysterious uncharted Valley.
Barbet Schroeder's striking second feature explores the limits of experience as it journeys into the great unknown accompanied by Pink Floyd's wondrous soundtrack, later released as the album Obscured By Clouds.
- Presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition
- Director-approved High Definition transfer from the original negative
- Original and digitally restored optional endings (Blu-ray only)
- Original un-restored ending (5 mins, DVD only)
- Three ethnographic documentary shorts directed by Barbet Schroeder: Le cochon aux patates douces (1971, 8 mins) about the Mapuga tribe's feast of pigs with sweet potatoes; Maquillages (1971, 12 mins) which examines the different types of ceremonial make-up worn by the Mapuga tribe; Sing Sing (1971, 5 mins) on the ceremony of 'Sing Sing' practised by Papua New Guinea's tribes
- Theatrical trailers for The Valley, More (1969) and Maîtresse (1974)
- Fully illustrated booklet with rare on-set photographs, newly commissioned essays and director interview
France | 1972 | colour | French language, English subtitles | 105 minutes | Original aspect ratio 2.35:1
Disc 1: BD50 | 1080p | 24fps | PCM mono audio (48k/16-bit)
Disc 2: DVD9 | PAL | Dolby Digital mono audio (320bps)
United Kingdom released, Blu-Ray/Region A/B/C DVD: LANGUAGES: French ( Dolby Digital 2.0 ), French ( Dolby Linear PCM ), English ( Subtitles ), WIDESCREEN (2.35:1), SPECIAL FEATURES: 2-DVD Set, Alternative Footage, Booklet, Documentary, Interactive Menu, Remastered, Scene Access, Short Film, Trailer(s), SYNOPSIS: An early film by director Barbet Schroeder, THE VALLEY stars Bulle Ogier as the wife of a diplomat who embarks on a journey through the jungles of New Guinea in order to locate a rarely seen type of bird feather. During the course of her quest, she meets up with a group of free-spirited hippies who are seeking their own personal Shangri-la. She becomes involved in their alternative lifestyle; however, their idea world comes crashing down when they begin to interact with a local native tribe. Future Oscar winner Nestor Almendros' cinematography and the counter-culture attitudes helped make this film a success in art-house theatres. ...The Valley ( La vallée ) ( Obscured by Clouds ) (Blu-Ray)