Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£10.59|
Save £5.60 (53%)
Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
This price was set by the publisher
The Unwanted: A Memoir of Childhood Kindle Edition
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
More About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
My father worked for the Vietnamese government and had we stayed in Vietnam after the war my dad would have been sent to reeducation camp and my family would have been deprived of all rights.
This book therefore gives me an insight on how life might have been to me had my parents not been strong enough to leave their country and start a new one abroad.
Not only is it really well detailed but also explains the hardship that the writer went through whilst in Vietnam.
I can not recommend this book highly enough to Vietnamese people who left their country at a very young age due to the war but also to others who can see for themselves how the communist regime destroyed a once powerful nation.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I am lucky to have visited Vietnam in the late 90's and stayed in households there while researching for a documentary being made about an extended family. There are hundreds of thousands of stories like Nguyen's, varying in degrees of severity. I have heard some of these myself and seen the evidence of ruined lives and a ruined country. Those who tried to escape, Amerasian and just plain tormented Vietnamese alike, endured tales of suffering that once heard, you hope with all your heart you will never have to hear again in this world. Human cruelty exists. In extremes. Courageous writers like Kien Nguyen play an enormously valuable role in reminding those with privilege especially that we all choose to make of that fact what we will.
I strongly recommend this book to everyone. To Kien, if you happen to read this review, I know I could speak for many other Vietnameses currently live in the states: thank you for writing this remarkable story of your life in VN!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1901 Onwards
- Books > Biography > Historical > United States
- Books > Biography > Political > United States
- Books > Biography > Social & Health Issues > Cultural History
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > Civil War
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > Vietnam War
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Asia > South East Asia
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Civil Liberties & Political Activism > Civil Rights & Citizenship
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Ethnic & National