Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 October 2003
As a young journalism student at postgrad school, I recently purchased this book, and found it inspiring to say the least. It's a great read, with 21 chapters in total. I refer back to it frequently when pondering common questions all journalists must face. David Randall doesn't do sloppy, and it shows; the book redfines what quality copy is all about. The guy has a passion for the business and it shines through. The only thing that the book perhaps lacks, is a section on court reporting, but other than that, this publication is the best book on journalism on the market and is a must-read.
on 2 April 1999
The course tutor on the post graduate pre-entry NCTJ course in Cornwall referred frequently to this book - so much so that I decided to read it for myself. I found it inspirational and useful. It inspired me to work to the highest ideals of investigative journalism, as well as providing helpful practical advice on how to do the job on a daily basis. Well worth the money, and one year into the job I still refer to it.
on 9 November 2007
Universal is certainly the word to use for this book. It gives concise advice, yet you feel like you have learned a vast history of journalism by the end, and could give impressive case study quotes from this book. It is exceptionally easy to read, so much so, that even if you are outside the journalistic world it would be easily digested. The most exceptional event is that after reading this book, during your darkest hours, Randall will act as the voice in your head that says, 'being a journalist does not involve losing your integrity' and remember the dignity and superficiality of human existence.
on 15 February 2001
Unlike most journalism books, I read this one straight through at once! Immensely readable, David Randall's book fills in the gap between dry, informative 'how to' books, theoretical academic essays and entertaining autobiography. As a beginner journalist myself, I found myself clinging to Randall for advice and reassurance - yes, I am not alone or unusual! His book is also full of surprising quotes, which supplement the text, leaving you with something to think about. Though I'm a literature graduate and particularly fussy about books, I cannot praise Randall's enough! Unbelievable.
on 22 September 2009
I have reread this book so many times and always found it useful. If you are new to journalism or a seasoned veteran you will get something out of it. Amongst a litany of useless 'how do' books, this one stands out as brilliantly readable and helpful in a competitive industry. If you want to be a journalist buy it.
on 17 October 2012
Great book, excellent packaging! The perfect book for a journalism student from commencement to graduation. I recommend this this book for even the interested reader who wants a peek into the life of a journalist.
on 11 September 2012
This book is the best and most honest account I've read of what it's like to really be a journalist. It's written relatively colloquially so it's easy and interesting to read but incredibly useful; the tips I've picked up from this book have been invaluable to my career.
on 9 October 2014
Bought it for a journalism class. Never regretted getting it.
on 8 January 2015
Bought as a gift and was very well received.
on 5 August 2014