Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 29 September 2013
Tim Severin, as far as I know, was a pioneer of practical archaeology, combining all the strands of research, archaeological, literary, geological, cartographrical, to find out where Ulysses actually sailed. He explains his choice of each stopping point and I waited with baited breath to find out whether he was right. The descriptions of the coast and landscape and the sea made me want to set off the Aegean at once, though perhaps not in a Bronze Age ship. Obviously he couldn't completely reproduce the actual conditions which bronze age sailors actually experienced, and I suppose this could be a basis for rubbishing the enterprise, but I felt I got a good idea.
I read this when it first came out and was very happy to re-read it with the same enjoyment.
on 11 June 2015
Excellent read and well referenced back to Homer et al. One has to admire the easy flow and style.
Publisher's miss here, not the authors, but I would have liked to have seen some maps, (hence the 4 stars) as not having good internet connection, when reading this while on holiday, meant it wasn't possible to journey along as a passenger so to speak. Simple B&W line maps with a few names would have sufficed.
Also a Publisher miss was the small reproduction of the photos. Digitally sizing these up to be one page and reducing pixel density would have enhanced this no end, as would placing them within the pages rather than at the end.
Will certainly be downloading the Jason one for my next holiday, however.
on 5 April 2014
Each of Severin's personal sagas, and not just this one, is well worth the read. I ended up reading them all in unbroken succession and don't regret one minute of my voyage.
Critique by Philip Maton
on 18 July 2013
Another strong book in series which blends travel writing with history and sailing. Tim Severin is an accomplished sailor and writer. Book will understandably resonate more for those who have read The Odyssey, but it's not essential to be familiar with Homer. My only complaint is that I wasn't able to read book whilst sailing.
on 8 April 2014
The Golden Fleece is a much better book, as is the Branden voyage. Too many gaps ...,made up with excerpts from the Golden Fleece.