Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 March 2016
It's generally speaking a good book, with a lot of examples and a lot of discussion.
The later being one of the things I don't like, it lacks succintness - you are left with the distinct feeling that the book could be half it's size and cover as much, as well as it currently does.

Furthermore it has a few usability problems (in my oppinion):
- No conclusion at the end of chapters
- No chapter numbers at the top of the page
- The ''Contents'' section in the book is not located as the very first thing, you have to skip through the aknowledgements etc. to get to it. This is quite frustrating when you just want to look something up quickly.

I think I can safely recommend this book for the practitioner. However I think it could be a lot more succint and precise, or at least the ''discussions'' could have their own sections, so you could skip them and just read the theory.
on 27 March 2015
Buy this book. It is interesting and very thorough. I was able to apply concepts and techniques from the book straight away on a complex UX project I was working on that involved both research and design. It will guide you through all the stages from Contextual Research to organizing the collected data, creation of WAAD (Work Activity Affinity Diagram), extracting requirements, creating Social and Work Models that will inform your design and much more.

One of the reviewers said that this a book for big organizations who have time and money, I disagree I think it is great for sole practitioners, you can scale the techniques up or down depending on your resources and time.
Another reviewer mentioned paper quality, I didn't find it very bad - its a glossy magazine paper that is indeed thin but it has full colour prints and is usable especially thanks to a well made sturdy hardcover.
on 19 February 2013
User experience design is deitaled in this book, making it more easy to be achieved. It is a quite thick book but worth every page.
on 16 May 2016
Really overcomplicates things at times.
The paper is very thin so you could read the text printed on the opposite side of the page you are reading.
on 9 December 2015
I was hoping more illustrated example of good practises. This is more for academic purposes to my mind.
on 14 April 2014
My initial experience is negative due to the quality of the paper, which has all the transparent qualities of tracing paper. The pages are so translucent that the content from subsequent pages bleeds through onto the current one. This is disappointing, given both the subject matter and price tag. I'm hoping that the content more than makes up for this.