This is the only comprehensive UK-published guide to short-term trading, combining detailed reference information with the author's advice on strategy and tactics. Every serious trader in the UK needs this book - not a nice-to-have, but a must-have!
The 10 key things you will learn:
- Detailed description of the different trading platforms (SEAQ, SETS, SETSmm, SEATS Plus) on the London Stock Exchange.
- How to deal inside the spread in market making stocks and get the best price.
- How auctions work on the London Stock Exchange platforms.
- The importance of direct market access for active traders.
- The secrets of programme trading, index arbitrage and block deals.
- How the cash, futures, lending and derivatives markets interact.
- The secrets and risks of short selling.
- Which directors' deals to follow and which are irrelevant.
- How to make money from takeover situations.
- Secret strategies from an established and successful trader.
About the Author
During his career in the City, Dominic Connolly has worked for some of the most prestigious trading institutions in London. In 1990, he joined the index arbitrage, derivatives and program trading desk at Smith New Court, London's top market-maker, which pioneered the application of the equity contract for difference (CFD) product in the UK. He joined Bankers Trust in 1993, one of the powerhouses of the equity derivatives revolution, where he established the European equity arbitrage desk. In 1999, he joined GNI and was instrumental in establishing GNI as one of the premier providers of equity CFDs to both institutional and retail users. During the period 1999 to 2003, the author's trading account returned a net return after all costs of over 1200%, predominantly through utilising CFDs to trade the UK market both long and short with leverage. Dominic Connolly is currently Divisional Director of Equity Swaps at Macquarie Bank in Sydney.