on 3 September 2011
Don MacNaughton is an experienced sports psychologist with a track record of working with individuals, teams and organisations. I've used some of Don's web materials, and heard him speak in person, and this book is a great distillation of many of the key ideas he conveys in his in-person and internet-based training.

The book is well set out, and easy to follow. Don uses a 'twelve laws' structure, which results in bite-sized chapters. It can be read in a few hours, but the structure also makes it easy to read a few chapters, set the book aside, and pick it back up again at the place you stoppped. It's also straightforward to find a section you want to re-read. I read the book through once, and then re-read it over a week, giving myself a chance to think over each section in turn.

While I'm interested in sports coaching, the ideas in Don's book are easy to apply to life coaching. If you changed some of Don's examples to business quotes, you'd have a great volume on career success. I'm confident that many people with little or no interest in sports will get a lot from the book.

Don's core argument is that success doesn't happen by accident, and that success can be derailed or promoted by your mind set. He gives practical ideas for improvement, and many sports examples where success and failure was affected by a person's mental approach. If I had to pick key ideas, I'd say that Don's recognition that if you don't do anything then nothing will change, and his emphasis on identifying opportunities for learning and growth, are particularly useful.

The book concludes with a summary of the main ideas, and details of free on-line support materials. All in all, a good, useful volume that many people should find of benefit.
on 1 November 2011
Donald Macnaughton has not only written an inspirational book for athletes, but also a highly motivational work for entrepreneurs and business people as well.

After working for most of my career in the front office of international banks, I have for the last 4 years been running my own corporate finance firm. I have learnt during this time that motivating myself and my partners is critical to the success of our business.

The way that Donald systematically unpicks the mindset of successful athletes and sportsmen is illuminating and as directly relevant to the business world as to the sports one. I found the 12 laws a very helpful framework for analysing the strengths and weaknesses of myself and the management team of my business as a whole. Very helpfully Donald looks at the 12 laws for the individual alone and also in the context of the individual as a member of a team.

There are a whole number of practical tips that I have taken from this book that I will be applying that I can see directly helping to make my business more successful and profitable. I very much look forward to putting these gems of ideas into practice whilst waiting hopefully for Donald's follow-up books.
on 3 August 2011
This is a great book, easy to read with some very powerful lessons and messages. My 14 year son found this work to be inspirational and is activity using the the twelve laws Donald suggests to help him achieve his longer term goals both in sport and in life.

Can wait/hope for the next book!
on 11 August 2011
Im a winter sports athlete, and competition, training, as well as all other aspects of my lifestyle can get overwhelming. It is hard to work on the mental side of my game, and I am always looking for an edge to help me reach my peak performance. For me this book is it, in the simple ways Donald explains the 'hidden laws' he makes it easy to work these in to everyday life. This book really is a must have!
on 2 August 2011
A Top Performance Is An Inspired Performance...................And by golly MacNaughton has really pulled out all the stops and packed several body blows in this little book of HUGE value. The author has managed to pack incredible insights, anecdotal evidence from sports people across all levels and a plethora of psychology know-how to upgrade your chosen field of endeavour in the same way that saw the likes of McIlroy elevate his game to become a winner. It's written in a style that is real easy to read, not too academic but doesn't lose any impact.

Ever wondered what it feels like to be a footballer stepping out of Wembley stadium for a cup final, or a pro golfer racing to the top of the leader-board on the final round? This book gives you an insight into what it's like to be under real pressure to perform, also this little gem is going to give you the mind-tools to help you adjust to whatever adversity you are faced with, not only face it but kill it. I've already tried out a couple of simple techniques and they work!

One of the really great things about this book is that it isn't all fluff and war stories, but packed with lots of practical insights, and visualisations that you can do in a jiffy to give you a little edge when you need it most. I personally enjoyed reading about the pillars of success.

As a sales coach, I am going to be giving this book to all future delegates to help them pull to one side their limiting beliefs, internal dialogue and anything else that stops or hinders their performance. Like everything else, the best only become the best when they recognise that talk and potential amounts to nothing UNTIL they've done everything it takes to get where they want to go, and it's the same for the rest of us, this book is just a reference guide to the short-cuts and strategies to get there but backed up by current sports psychology. One really cool surprise I found at the back of the book is a link to a some video with the author guiding the viewer through some of the techniques explained in the book, which in my opinion is a cool bonus.

In the words of the author....... Your success or your failure is controlled by you!
on 22 August 2011
WOWW - this book really works - it certainly did for me last weekend on the golf course. Let me tell you more. When I heard that Donald had written this book, I really couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy. Reading it was dead easy, as Donald has a "great way with words" and puts it across in a way that really gets you thinking about what you can do, to make a real difference in your performance. I am really taken with his explanations of the Natural Laws, at it got me thinking about how I could incorporate some of this into my performance at next the Saturday Medal at my golf club. I decided to focus on Law Two - Positive Thoughts Generate Positive Outcomes, which was really paid dividends over the first few holes, which I managed to play to par. Even when things went a "wee bit" wrong at the 7th Hole, when a ran up a double bogey, I didn't panic, as I could hear Donald telling me about Law 11 - "Accept the Rough with the Smooth" - and I found myself focussing on the idea that I still had plenty of holes left to improve my performace, rather that thinking negatively. I then went onto to birdie the next two holes, which really got me "on track" again. At the end of the round, I am happy to report I signed for a Net 71, which was 2 under the CSS of 73, which means that my handicap has been cut.
I have went back to the book since, and have realised that the way that I handled myself on the golf course last Saturday, actually took on a lot of what I had taken from this great book, without me realising it at time. It really is well worth a read - and not only just from a golf or a sporting perspective. It is a "real gem" - which I am sure I will go back to time and time again. Many thanks, Donald.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 August 2011
What a great book. I read it and as soon as I finished it I sent one to a friend. 12 laws that are easy to digest separately and together. A brilliant expression of what we already know about supporting positive change. Don has emphasised these by inspiring examples and stories. Loved it and will encourage fellow sports coaches and those in life transitions to explore the work of Mr McNaughton as a way to make sense of the use of energy and the life/performances we shape for ourself with others.
on 28 January 2013
I was very impressed with this kindle book, which gives detailed and easy to read examples of how best to make use of the mind in both sport and business. Speaking from a purely sporting point of view, the author places emphasis on a long ignored aspect of sports coaching, namely the power of the mind. It's a refreshing book and one that can easily be put into practice. Comes highly recommended.
on 23 August 2011
As a professional footballer I have used this book primarily for my sport. I found it very useful, increasing my motivation and confidence. It is also an enjoyable read with many sporting references and stories of top sports-men and women. I also found the book accessible and simple to understand without any unnecessary babble...... And above all improved performances......Thank you Donald
on 23 August 2011
I loved Don's book! I love the way he brings ancient and modern wisdom together in these 12 simple steps that are as applicable to what can be a times, this bewildering game we call life, as well as to sport itself.

Since I've had the book, I've read it twice and keep it handy for when I take a break, am flapping about a bit and am looking for some inspiration. I dip in and out of it and find something useful every time, bearing in mind that success is a decision and the culmination of lots of hard work in the form of both big and little steps, but steps taken every day.

Momentum gathers more momentum, inertia gathers more inertia! Don's 12 hidden laws teach that it's all down to what you think and the action you take, that the universe is on your side and anything's possible.

Thanks so much Don, a great book, a great read and many wise words.