Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 July 2007
I bought this book after hearing a discussion of it on BBC Radio5, where listeners discuss their favourite books. I was not disappointed. It is an interesting and little known area of the Vietnam conflict. I was born in 1958 and so i can remember from about 10 years old and into my early teens, the nightly BBC news items on the "progress" of the Vietnam conflict, and documentaries such as "World in Action" and "Panorama". This book paints a complementary perspective of some of the events and the circumstance of the conflict. It neither glorifies nor glamourises the war or the men involved, but it does present an very readable understanding of the hardships endured and courage displayed on both sides. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone wanting to read a little more about the Vietnam War, or about the human spirit in times of conflict.
on 7 April 2010
First purchased this book in paperback when it came out, the hardback is far superior to my dog eared paperback.There are more pictures in the hardback edition, the book arrived in good condition as stated from the seller and promptly.
Covers the work of the tunnel rats during the last vietnam war, tells you all about the life of a tunnel rat who where a very special breed of men. During the war no one knew very much about the rats they worked in horrendous conditions. A great book from a war that happend in living memory.
on 5 September 1999
a marvellous book that shows the ingenuity and bravery of the tunnel dwellers. a fighting organisation that can hide a tank underground and survived all that the american divisions could throw at it shows a strong will that could not be broken. equal to this were the tunnel rats sent into snake , rat and booby trapped tunnels that ran the length of vietnam. A thoroughly informative and entertaining read.
on 31 January 2009
This is a harrowing account of the men and women who took part in the fighting inside and outside of the tunnels at Cu Chi during the Vietnam war and the brutality off it all.
One cannot even imageing the effect and claustrofobia of being down the tunnels, but this book does its best to tell you what it was like!
on 8 December 2007
I bought this book after a visit to Vietnam and to Cu Chi, which is less than an hour from Saigon. It captures the spirit of the people you sense when you visit the place. Cu Chi was completely devastated like the Western Front in WW1 and like Verdun and the Somme you now have to look out for signs of the conflict.
The book is both partisan and even-handed, probably because a lot of it is told from the perpective of the participants on the ground.
My take on Vietnam had always tended towards James Cameron and John Pilger; Visting the place and reading this book paints a much more complicated picture.
on 15 November 2006
I've not read much on the Vietnam war before and I'm not usually much of a war reader but I was blown away by this book and want to read more on Vietnam but I'm not sure I'll find anything as fascinating as The Tunnels of Cu Chi.
on 6 June 2013
In April/May this year my wife and I visited Viet Nam and took a trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels which is why I ended up ordering Tom Mangold's book. Whilst the visit to the tunnels was, in itself, fascinating it has quite naturally taken on a tourist atmosphere. However, this book for me, made for a comprehensive insight into all aspects of tunnel life. The data and facts on both sides of the conflict were overwhelmingly stunning and the underground descriptions so vivid as to create a feeling of claustrophobia. It added the complete perspective of the reality of tunnel warfare that we could not fully appreciate on our visit. I will be reading it again as there was so much to take in on first reading.
on 16 July 2011
I've now read several books on Vietnam. Most have been written by US soldiers who served over there, so it was interesting to read something written by journalists and also to read something of the life of the Vietnamese soldiers who lived and worked in these tunnels.

I have to say I agree with other reviewers who say this is one of the best books on the Vietnam War - personally, I'd say it's the best I've ever read. I was thoroughly engrossed from the start and it made you realise just how ineffective the US strategy (and the French before them) was against such a determined foe. What they achieved underground was nothing short of miraculous. No foreign power was ever going to take their country and no foreign power fully understood the significance of these tunnels until after the war when it emerged just how extensive they were. This book actually explains more about the failings of the US strategy than any other book I've read, so it's worth the read just for that insight!

Outstandingly good read - no hesitation in highly recommending this one!
on 17 September 2011
Factual history of the strategic importance and contribution the Cu Chi tunnel programme had on the Vietnamese campaigns around Saigon, interlaced with anecdotes and short biographies of key participants from both sides. A worthwhile read if you want a good insight into how low tech tenacity can overcome high tech complacency.
on 14 July 2009
I found this book truely amazing to read I didn't want to put it down. Read about how the Vietnamese survived underground, living in unbearable conditions for the Americans, but they made it home. Forced to eat poisonous and mouldy rice to survive and performing surgery in their dug out operating theatres whilst they fought the war from their complex maze of tunnels luring the Americans down to a gory end or a blind gun battle in the dark. It does also tell of the bravery of the Americans and how they fought for what they felt was right and how they uncovered the tunnels slowly in amazement and then tried to outsmart the Vietnamese.
I would recommend this book to anyone.