on 7 September 2014
4.5 STARS
Considering this was a freebie, you never know which way they are going to go.
Fortunately this one did not disappoint.
Leigh-Anne is a 19yo college student, returning home to Fairhope - to her "perfect" life.
She is hiding a secret, which becomes apparent around halfway through the book.
I really felt for her, troubled and with no true friends to turn to, you do wonder why she is surrounded by people, who don't have her best interests at heart. Then she meets "bad boy" Knox and something about him strikes a chord and there is obvious chemistry between them. Leigh-Anne anxious to act upon it owing to the secrets of her past, and the real reason she is returning from Boston.
She really does not want to go back to her old life.
A little more could have been made of the reasons she chose to leave in the first place, IMO.

A sweet YA/NA coming of age book. Not schmultzy sweet, realistic (Leigh Anne is not a virgin, looking for her true love sweetheart) and I resonated with the storytelling.
Great book by this author.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It's hard to dismiss a book that deals with such a hard hitting subject. I especially liked The Trouble with Goodbye which is a story about honesty, truth and courage against adversity.

Leigh Anne is a likable character. At little naive at times but still working out what it means to have her independence on her own terms. She makes mistakes. We all do. Sometimes she makes choices based on her 'before' life which only reminds her of why she left her small town in the first place. Sometimes she sucks it up and makes new steps to begin living by her own rules and not those of her well-to-do parents. These decisions she could certainly be commended for.

I especially liked Knox but as a character he didn't really have any flaws that would mar his credibility as a hero of the story. His past life, as painful as it was, seemed to be exactly that. He was well on his way to living in the 'now', and with a little help from Leigh Anne, developed as his own person.

I've given this review 4 out of 5. The only things I felt lacking were a sense of drama or emotional tension that is common in New Adult books now. At times I was reading dialogue and descriptions of the tragedies that happened but I didn't altogether feel the pain behind them. Having said that, the subject detail is given openly and without bias, and for that Cannon can be commended for tackling this delicate subject.

Now I'm looking forward to Penny and Mason's story. And I pretty much think there'll be fireworks!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.*

I was pleasantly surprised by The Trouble with Goodbye. This was a good New Adult story.

Leigh Anne Davis returns to her home town to escape her horrid past. She decides by removing herself from the scene of painful memories and horrible people that it will allow her to put the past behind her and move on; if only her memory would allow her to do that. Leigh Anne soon discovers that being at home isn't all that it is cracked up to be either. She isn't the same person she was two years ago and her friends and ex boyfriend are no longer the same either. So can she be ultimately happy running from her past and pretending to be someone she is no longer?

Then in walks her Guardian Ange,l Knox Warner (I may have swooned as soon as he appeared) the man saved her from a car wreck I mean c'mon on Mr Perfect or what? I loved Knox, he was used to people judging him and having preconceived ideas about him and his past. Therefore when he met Leigh Ann he was drawn to her after the night of her accident and him simply being there for her, they shared a bond like no other.

With the help of Knox, Leigh gradually became stronger, opening up to Knox and really discovering the person she wanted to be and what she had to do in order to get there. This book covered a serious issue with the sensitivity and realism it deserved. I loved the fact both Leigh Ann and Knox were healing each other.

Leigh Anne also had to deal with her overbearing mother who believed she always does what is in Leigh Anne's best interests but when Leigh Anne's horrible past is on the cusp of exposure she has to make the hardest decision of her life; does she stay quiet and protect her family's reputation or does she take a stand for herself and become the survivor she really is?

I really liked this story but I couldn't help but want more of it. It felt too short for me. There was a lot to cover towards the end when Leigh Anne finally made her decision and as a serious subject was involved I felt more time could have been dedicated to flesh out the process and the aftermath to provide us with greater information of what happened next.

I also would have liked more time with Knox and Leigh Anne as they developed their relationship, their few initial meeting were sweet and I loved both characters but as soon as they got together their time was summarised to move the plot on. I would have felt their connection deeper if we got to experience some of that time they shared together so again in this instance I wish the book was longer.

Overall this was good story with a great message. I really liked the author's writing style, it flowed well and I read it in one sitting. I would highly recommend to fans of New Adult contemporary romance. ~Ava
on 4 June 2013
This book kept me engaged from start to finish, with a beautiful romance and an amazing plot!

This is one of those books, that for no real reason I can pinpoint, completely drew me in, so I couldn’t put it down. I read this book in one sitting, and especially towards the end couldn’t get enough of it. I found the tone of this story extremely engaging, and made this book really easy to get lost in.

I really liked Leigh Anne as a character. Trying her best to deal with everything that had happened to her, at the start of the book she is broken and alone, with no one who understands her. Although going home is supposed to make things easier, after everything she has been through she finds it impossible to care about anything that her friends do, and struggles to be the girl that she used to be.

“…I’m like that windshield the other night.” I say. “All broken pieces and sharp edges.”

I liked that even though she had been brought up with money, and a clear idea that she could have pretty much anything she wanted, she wasn’t at all spoiled or conceited. If anything, due to what had happened to her, she was anything but that. She could see the bigger picture, and didn’t care about parties, or marrying someone with money, she just wanted to find some semblance of happiness, and this made her really likable as a character.
All the way through this book, I felt completely sympathetic to what Leigh Anne was going through. Although it had happened a year and a half before, due to things brought up in the press, her experience was being constantly reminded to her. I hated how alone she clearly felt, as her mother made her feel like it was her fault, and made everything so much worse for her. I so desperately wanted Leah Anne to properly stick up for herself, and cut her mother out of her life, as she was only thinking about herself.

Knox understands Leigh Anne from the start, allowing her to feel safe, and protected for the first time in years. Although he knows there is something extremely dark haunting her thoughts, he never once pushes her to talk about it, but instead waits until she is ready. He is an extremely genuine and sweet character, and although he has had a difficult past himself, he doesn’t let it effect his future, and who he is as a person.

As this book was primarily about Leigh Anne and the secret she is keeping, although there is a romance in the story, I didn’t feel that it was front and center, and because of this, Knox played a bit of a background role. Their relationship in this book, very much acts as a way for Leigh Anne to heal, teaching her how to trust again, and giving her the strength to break away from what her parent’s wanted.

“…You don’t ever have to worry about what I think of you or how I feel about you, because right now and for the rest of my life, I am going to love you with all that I am.”

The relationship between Leigh Anne and her parents was the thing that kept me hooked on t his book! Although coming across as the parents who just want what’s best for their daughter, it seems in reality, all they, and specifically Leigh Anne’s mum, cares about, is how they are going to look to everyone else, and because of this, end up pushing Leigh Anne away. I completely hated her mother, especially towards the end of the book when she uses a terrible situation to manipulate Leigh Anne, when she was vulnerable, in to getting back with her rich ex-boyfriend. She clearly couldn’t see what her daughter was going through, and didn’t even think to ask, instead she forced the subject under the carpet, making it so it was difficult for Leigh Anne to move past what had happened to her.

I don’t think I can fault this book one bit, it was a nice solid read with a likable main character, and a dramatic plot. I liked that way that although it still had a very strong aspect of romance, it was much more about Leigh Anne finding a way to move forward from the things that have happened in her past. I loved not knowing what was going to happen until the very last moment, as it kept me on edge, and made the story as a whole, even better. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has read UNBROKEN by Melody Grace, or BEFORE YOU GO by Clare James, and am looking forward to reading more books by Sarra Cannon in the future!
on 19 January 2015
I'm surprised at the amount of good reviews as this was on of the worst books I've read in a while.
I found it hard to finish but I did keep reading till the end. I struggled to connect to the main character as she was really indecisive and came across as very naive and stupid. Her reaction to her ex boyfriend was what really put me off as she kept jumping between knowing he was a cheater and she didn't like him to suddenly wondering if she could get back with him, and in the end she became just as bad as the girl who he cheated with in the first place.
I felt like a lot of what was written was very clichè and instead of thinking about what reads well it was written as if for a film, the cringey moments - such as kissing in the rain in front of the cars headlights and her twirling her hair - just seemed really fake and led to me skimming through most of the book.
The book deals with a heavy subject but the way it was dragged out like a big surprise really lessened the effect. I also feel the way she happily almost slept with her ex boyfriend pretty much straight away was really unrealistic, and the stress that was put on the fact she hides it because of what her family says means we never really connect with how she feels about it.
Overall a really poor book and not worth the time.
on 9 September 2013
I have found myself in a reading slump lately with the contemporary romance genre, and I was not relishing the thought of reading The Trouble With Goodbye. Don't I love it when an author surprises me! Yes, Knox and Leigh Ann have issues like other characters from NA fiction but Sarra Cannon does not force these upon her reader from the first page; instead she only intimates whilst Knox and Leigh Ann attempt to resurrect their lives.
I really liked The Trouble With Goodbye because instead of focussing entirely on the romance between the two protagonists I felt Sara Cannon wanted her readers to see Leigh Ann's maturity as a character. She returns to Fairhope damaged by her experience at university and unable to have a real relationship with anyone around her, including her parents and friends. Leigh Ann slowly becomes stronger and more independent, and the young woman at the end of the book is unrecognizable.
Sarra Cannon writes The Trouble with Goodbye beautifully with sensitivity and emotion, and I hope fans of NA romance will pick this one up.
This was given to me as a review copy, but this has had no influence on my opinion.
on 2 October 2013
A fan of Sarra Cannon I felt the need to read this book but not being into romance novels wasn't expecting much. How wrong I was. I couldn't put my kindle down needing to know how the story ended. A rollercoaster of human emotions from beginning to end. A page turner. Excellent. Can't wait to read book 2
on 26 June 2014
Interesting how most of upper class American families are written of as being cold with little or no parenting skills and with one eye on the end game ie what their children can achieve to show how successful they (the parents) are. This underpins the premise of the story here and how our heroines parents (particularly the mother) ignore the horror of her ordeal as it would reflect badly on them. I felt very much for Leigh Ann as she attempts to regain some semblance of normality to her life and move on.

Liked the main character, like the working class hero she falls in love with and even have some sympathy for her old boyfriend - he wasn't bad just shallow and a pawn in her mothers game.
on 17 December 2014
I enjoyed and would recommend this book! It's an easy, enjoyable read with a hard hitting subject.

Leigh Anne is easy to like although naïve at times and you just root for Knox! The only bad point (if you could call it that) was that I wished Leigh Anne had shared with her friends the secret about Preston. I think that part of the story could have been gone in to more. It was mentioned what happened, but the author did not go in to specifics of how it went down. I would have loved for everyone to find out to give him what for and maybe have gotten a bit more detail about his new relationship...maybe that will be saved for the second book?!
on 5 October 2013
This book starts off amazing.

I was reading along tho and was at roughly (40%) and thinking when is something going to happen.

This book has a lot of points and important issues to cover, but I find that when it gets its opportunity to be amazing...... it just doesn't.

The story is more about the lead role evolving and turning into an independent woman rather than a girl relying on her parents. The way the lead roles fall in love is slightly lacking and could be amazing. And when the story finally does open up, it's kind of over.