The foundation stone of the Troma label's trash-movie empire, The Toxic Avenger
introduces the character of nerdy janitor Melvin, who suffers heaps of abuse from local bad-guys and is stuffed into a vat of toxic waste while dressed in a ballerina outfit. He emerges mutated into a Swamp Thing/Hulk-style monster hero who romps around the blighted township of Tromaville, New Jersey, offing the grotesque villains in nastily gruesome ways and mooning over his blind true love. The Troma style is unique, and perhaps predates the anything-gross-for-a-laugh approach of the Farrelly Brothers by a good 10 years, but it sometimes wavers between the good-natured gags and genuinely unpleasant plot images that somewhat spoil the tone. Entry-level filmmaking, but with surprisingly professional head-squashing effects and a degree of enthusiasm that breaks down most resistance. Several sequels have ensued, including The Toxic Avenger Part III: The Last Temptation of Toxie
. -- Kim Newman
Welcome to Tromaville, New Jersey -- a small American town, terrorized by criminals. The town's corrupt mayor sits idly by while muggers, robbers and teenage punks victimize helpless citizens. Among the residents of Tromaville is Melvin, a nerdy, emaciated janitor at the local health club. That is, until he becomes The Toxic Avenger!
A gang of thugs devise a cruel hoax that goes horribly wrong as Melvin is cast through a third story window and into a vat of hazardous toxic waste. However, an unexpected metamorphosis takes place. As the chemicals take hold of his body, Melvin turns into the Toxic Avenger, doer of good and brutal mauler of evil! The rest, as they say, is history.
The excitement is non-stop as the hero sets out to single-handedly wipe out the forces of evil that torment the people of Tromaville. THE TOXIC AVENGER is non-stop entertainment that will leave the viewers glowing from the fun.
· All Region Codes
· Audio Commentary with co-director Lloyd Kaufman
· Alternate Japanese Cut. (92 Mins- Standard Definition)
· Introduction to Japanese Cut
· 15th Anniversary Introduction by Lloyd Kaufman
· 30th Anniversary Introduction by Lloyd Kaufman
· The Radiation March
· Intro from Toxic Crusaders cartoon
· Toxie - 15 Years Later
· Tromaville Café - The Death of Toxie
· Troma Studio Building Tour
· Mopboy Secrets with commentary by Mark Torgl
· Why is Lloyd Kaufman living in a refrigerator box?
· Public Service Announcement
· Aroma Du Troma
· Toxic Slide Show
· Theatrical Trailer
· Bonus trailers: Bloodsucking Freaks, The Toxic Avenger 2, The Toxic Avenger 3, Citizen Toxie
· Reversible Sleeve