on 28 October 2014
Pharmacology can be a difficult aspect of medicine to learn but I found this book to be extremely helpful. It explained the mechanism of actions in more detail compared to the BNF and has information on doses too!
PROs:
 Explains both the mechanism of action and how to prescribe the drug doses.
 Lists all the other important considerations for the drug i.e. interactions and contraindications.
 Multiple different index types i.e. by name, by condition or by system to allow easier navigation.
 Small enough to not look intimidating.
 Easy to carry about.
 Has some SBA questions at the back with explanations for the answers.
CONs:
 Some drugs are given by just their name and some are listed as their group so can be annoying sometimes.
 Only covers 100 medicines- some of which aren’t necessarily in our curriculum till a later stage.
In conclusion, I would highly recommend this book. It is an excellent resource for students like me who found the pharmacology bit of medicine difficult to learn.

DISCLAIMER: Elsevier sent me this book to be reviewed but the opinions expressed are my own.
on 16 November 2014
I am a third year student nurse, and I can't recommend this book enough. Although it is aimed at medical students, I find the layout and explanations within very accessible and the vast majority of information contained is relevant to nurses too. Drugs with similar mechanisms of action are grouped together to avoid repetition - this can make it hard to find particular drugs if you are not sure what group they belong to. However, other than that I am very happy with this book. For prescribers, drugs are sorted at the front of the book into the illnesses and conditions they are used to treat, for easy reference. It is small enough in size to be carried around easily.
on 3 January 2015
Great book. Convenient size. I don't agree that it can be replaced by BNF. There are a lot of information that you'll need to learn that is not contained in the BNF, e.g.
1) explanation of mechanism of action for every drug.
2) explain the mechanism behind each drug interaction.
3) questions and answers on clinical pharmacology.

My advice, for your medical school needs anyway, is to buy this and also get an old edition BNF. The latter is helpful when you want to look up an unfamiliar drug. The Top 100 Drugs does not have an index of individual drug names: the top 100 refers more to 100 classes of drugs. So if you don't know what 'solifenacin' is, then you are unlikely to be able to find it there, as it is under "anti-muscarinics, genitourinary use".

The book would even be better if the search facility on Student Consult is better. This applies to all the Student Consult books. It is most user-unfriendly. It does not allow you to do more advance searches, like searches for phrases.
on 21 May 2014
What a fantastic resource for medical students! This book covers commonly prescribed drugs as the title suggests, but also lays out the information in an easy, readable manner. I much prefer this to Pocket Prescriber; which is excellent for once you qualify but seems to be filled with lists and details without much of an explanation. In my opinion, this book is great to learn drugs, pharmacology and prescribing from, and pocket prescriber is more of a 'simplified BNF' type text (which is also written in a similar manner).

I haven't gone through it completely yet, but I can already tell that the authors have done a wonderful job (not surprising as they are fantastic lecturers!), and I can tell that this book will be well used by the time I graduate.

A brilliant resource for students and doctors, I would highly recommend this!
on 27 March 2015
A wonderful book that is sorely let down by the quality of the Kindle version. Save yourself the bother.
Along with other reviewers, I agree the content and structure are great, however the tables are so poorly realised I thought my glasses prescription needed doubling! Very blurry.
Such a pity. I am attempting to return my Kindle copy and instead order the paper version.
on 30 June 2014
My only regret about this purchase is that the book wasn't available 2 years ago when I started my medical degree. This book is incredibly easy to read and at the right level for medical students. It doesn't have the more detailed mechanism explanations of some of the other pharmacology books, but this is actually quite refreshing as it's not overwhelming.
on 2 August 2014
Just buy this book. I'm a second year med student and this has not left any information out that i would want to know / would be asked in exams. I couldn't recommend it more highly, especially for only £15. I have other books which lists drugs, this far exceeds them. As i say, just buy it. You won't regret it.
on 23 September 2014
The lecturers are amazing and so is this book written by them to help students grasp the key facts they need to know about drugs at medical school.
The drugs are laid out in alphabetical order so you can use it like a dictionary to find a drug. This is in contrast to the BNF which is categorised into treatments for disease conditions.
There's a few pages categorising the drugs by disease condition too at the beginning.
There are also very good questions at the end.
Worth buying from third year up especially if you are a student at St George's medical school :)
on 5 January 2015
Content of book is excellent but with Kindle version the information is presented in numerous tables that are very difficult to read.
on 26 June 2014
This review is for the eBook version which gets one star as it's awful and essentially unreadable. The hard copy would get 4/5 stars as the content is very good.

Most of the information in this book is presented in tables. These have been recreated in the eBook as images. Unfortunately the quality of the images is so poor that it strains the eyes whilst attempting to read. Whilst it's usually possible to make out the text, attempting to sit and read the book for more that a page or two is neigh on impossible.

My advice - don't purchase the eBook. Purchase the hard copy instead (it's also possible to get a refund on a hardcopy whereas apparently not on an eBook - according to the publishers website).