on 21 March 2003
Firstly this book is indispensible in providing [very] detailed information on all aspects of newcastle united football club from the beginning of its existence. If you are a nufc supporter as i am this is a must buy. For many reasons the main one being this book doesnt just read like a series of match reports like most other detailed historys of football clubs. It is a information station for everything about nufc and it is in chronological order as you would expect. From transfers the club has made from as early as 1900 up the present reign of Sir Bobby Robson. Nothing is left out nor should it be. Great players like Hughie Gallacher and Jackie Milburn are talked about in the context of not just there nufc history but the players own footballing history. Overall this book is an essential purchase for nufc supporters,and anyone who wants to learn about the history of the north easts premier team. Fantastic
on 22 May 2011
I picked up this book as I have been a Newcastle United supporter since the late 50s/early 60s and foregoing the chapters on the earlier history of the club, I began with the chapter entitled 'Return To Pride And Glory: 1961-75', as this was 'my era'. It was a standard description of NUFC's return to the First Division in the 60s, and the subsequent participation in the Fairs Cup. After describing the 1st round win over Feyenoord the book then went on to talk about 2nd round tie against Sporting Lisbon, and stated that 'Newcastle travelled to the Stadium Of Light in confident mood'. Eyebrows were raised at this point, as any football fan worth his salt knows that Sporting's great rivals Benfica play at the Stadium Of Light, and that Sporting play at the Estadio Jose Alvalade. I put that down to a slight aberration though and continued, but a few pages later we are told that Newcastle fans sang a song about Wyn Davies which was based on Bob Dylan's hit 'Mighty Flynn' (the song was actually 'The Mighty Quinn'). 'The guy who wrote this should have checked his facts!' I thought to myself, but a few pages later we are told that Joe Harvey spent some of the money made from the Fair Cup success by signing Malcolm Macdonald in July 1969 but that Macdonald had to wait until Pop Robson and Wyn Davies left the club in 1971 'to assume the position he desired: goalscoring king of Newcastle'. The author then compounds this astonishing error (Macdonald joined the club in 1971 not 1969) by stating that in 1969 'even more of that Fairs Cup money went on buying the club's first £100,000 footballer, Jimmy Smith', having already said that Macdonald (who cost £180,000) had been signed before Smith. That chapter and the next threw up more intensely irritating inaccuracies: the 1973-74 FA Cup quarter final 2nd replay against Notts Forest is said to have been played at Elland Road when it was in fact at Goodison Park, the 3-3 draw with Bolton Wanderers in the 1975-76 FA Cup was at St James' according to this book when any NUFC fan over the age of 50 knows that it was at Bolton. Finally on page 252, when describing Gordon Lee's departure from the club, we are told that 'on 29 January 1977 the Newcastle players trooped out onto the pitch at Maine Road to meet Mancester City in the fourth round of the FA Cup. They lost 3-1, and on the Sunday Gordon Lee stayed in Lancashire for a meeting with the directors of Everton'. This is palpable nonsense as the game took place at St James' Park, not Maine Road. At this point I tossed the book away in disgust and began to wonder whether Roger Hutchinson is a Sunderland supporter. I could not bring myself to read the earlier chapters, on the basis that if the chapters I remember from personal memory are riddled with inaccuracies, I cannot accept what is written about the years before my own birth.
on 27 February 2001
Roger Hutchinson has written a witty intelligent book packed full of interesting facts of the ups and downs of a big football club. It charts the life of Newcastle United from the inception in 1892 to the present day. This is an easier read than the official club history United: The First 100 Years ...And More by Paul Joannou but lacks it's photos and depth; but because it's a paperback and about A5 size it's just the right size to take into the bath! Not your usual stuffy history text.
on 25 March 2011
I'm a massive football fan, but not a NUFC fan. This excellent book was just lying around the workshop, so one lunch break I picked it up.. I found it hard to put down again after my half hour was up.. It has some riviting storys of the early cup runs which the author tells so well. I was so into it in the end that I'd take it to bed to read last thing at night too. This would be a great gift for any Newcastle United mad fan who enjoys a good read!
on 2 November 2015
Not a NUFC supporter but am very impressed that they produced a Kindle book for this title. With the research I'm doing, not having big volumes all over my living room is brilliant.
on 13 November 2013
As one reviewer has already pointed out this book is riddled with inaccurate times dates and points . Not worth buying.
on 21 January 2016
Couldn't fault this book as it contained everything I was looking for. A great source for research purposes.
on 11 June 2016
Good in depth chronicle with some fascinating facts and stories. A must read for all Toon fans.
on 10 October 2015