Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 23 May 2014
I hated the title as it sounded so un-pc, but then I looked through the contents and some reviews and bought the book. I usually addictively buy books to help me though situations, and find they disappoint. I had just lost 60kg and was wanting advice on how to not fall into the trap of putting all the weight back on.

Immediately I was hooked by the different approach - getting into what the title really means. Thin women - women who are naturally thin and do not calorie count, diet, eat chaotically etc. - do not get fat. So how are they different to me ? And then looking at how the brain works, using cognitive behaviour techniques and mindfulness - both techniques I have known for many years but never yet put together - I really believe this book has got the answers for me. Not just for food issues but much addictive, 'non-thin' thinking. Now the book may have the answers, but I have to do my part and it is a demanding process - but you have to be in it to win it, and being motivated and making that decision to change is important. Committing to it and carrying it through are necessary or old habits take over. Too many books promise the world the easy way - there isn't one.

Personally I like the style, but it is quite dense and heavy going in places. There is a lot of information in a thin book and it takes a while to digest. I am about to reread it and use the author's website for a program which I strongly believe will put me in the 2% of people who keep the weight off after they lose it.

Many thanks to the author - this is powerful stuff.
on 25 July 2015
So, I have read the book and it is two weeks later. I am becoming mindful of how and when I eat and the emotional feelings I am stuffing down. This book is a refreshing look at our complicated relationship with food. The CBT information is excellent in terms of how to be present in the moment of eating. The advice on taking the time to eat ie sitting down and not rushing has had an effect most definitely on my family and I. I love the way it is written. It provides the science and makes complete sense. Will be recommending to my nearest and dearest.
on 27 February 2014
There are just not enough stars for this book.

I am still reading the book at the moment (via Kindle app) but the change in eating patterns and my entire outlook on life has changed in such a short time. Everything in this book makes sense and you can re-wire your brain.

Buying this book was the single best thing I have done for a very long time!

Well done Dilia :)
on 25 July 2014
A brilliant book. Without competition - the best self-help book I have ever read. Clear, easy to follow, extremely well written. Thank you.
on 30 October 2014
I've read the book once and I'm now reading it again. It's so good I spent lunch time with my dad (age 80) explaining why we only had to eat as many whitebait as we enjoyed and could then leave the rest. He thought it most amusing, and if you'd told me that I would say this to my dad at any time in the previous 50 years of my life you'd laugh at me too.

It's been 7 weeks since I started, running in parallel with more exercise and working with a personal trainer. I've lost about 18 lbs, I'm probably still 45 lbs overweight, I feel very positive and quite calm about moving forward.

The book is very clear, very well researched and strongly expressed. It is dense and focused, but for many of us who have yoyo'd between various weights and tried everything, then its never going to be easy, is it?

I've been given some clear sensible guidance by my personal trainer as to what to eat, but this book and its approach is helping me to completely re-shape how I'm eating, why I'm eating, how much I eat and when I eat. It is a huge educational process and for me it involves reprogramming decades of unhelpful OS which either came with my brain or my parents unwittingly programmed in afterwards.

Speaking as a Englishman, the language is clearly aimed at overweight American women, which has required some filtering, but the arguments presented still apply 90% of the time and I would heartily recommend to men as well as women.

Good luck.
on 15 July 2014
This book is an inspiration. I'm currently doing a PhD in science and I often struggle with the lack of scientific background in many self-help/diet books out there. Then I read this book! It was a breath of fresh air seeing so many references and seeing a scientific explanation for my overrating.

The biggest realisation reading the book was just how mindlessly I was eating. A meal wasn't a meal unless my butt was firmly on the sofa and the TV was on. I paid no attention to what was going in, what it tasted like or whether I had had enough. Another AHA moment was being able to pinpoint that I ate when I was bored. I had my first baby 9 months ago and I was often so tired (and often bored as well) during his naps that the only thing I thought was feasible was to lie in front of the TV with some 'treats'. Through reading the book I also realised I had made not only big associations - like emotional eating and food, but little associations as well that led me to eating mindlessly. For example, it got to a point where I couldn't have a cup of tea without something sweet to accompany it. And I live in England so that was a lot of cups of tea!

Since starting to read the book I have been been practicing mindfulness every day. This not only is affecting the way I eat, but its' effects have leaked into several areas of my life influencing my attitudes, emotions and experience of life.

Things are far from perfect but thanks to this book I have seen so much progress. I'm so grateful Dilia wrote this book and that I came across it!
on 28 February 2015
I’m not usually one for grand statements but this book is life changing. It is not another diet, it is about understanding your behaviours around food and addressing them.
I’ve never been especially overweight but over the past 16 years I have done countless number of diets and yo-yoed from 10 to 12 stone. In the past 6 months or so though, I had become miserable. I had lost control – bingeing the weekend before the next new diet started (always on a Monday!) only to fall off that wagon after maybe a few weeks but often only a few days and feeling the acute shame of another failure. Then I found this book. I’ve been a classic emotional eater since I was a teenager – eating when stressed, tired, sad, anxious, bored etc. I could never have anything “naughty” in the house because it was like it was calling to me “eat me, eat me!”.
This book has given me the tools to appreciate food in a way I never have before. Through mindfulness, CBT and meditation it teaches you to recognise when you are hungry and then recognise when you are full. I no longer need copious lists of can and can’t eat foods because I know I can trust myself to do what is right for me and will make me feel good. I can also now eat something “naughty” and just eat a little bit without going crazy and then blowing the whole day.
And this all happened in just 3 weeks. If you’re ready to give up dieting and get to the root of your behaviours you’re ready for this book.
Thank you Dilia.
on 13 January 2015
Everything you have ever read and suspected about yourself in one place , plus simple and meaningful solutions. I have read all the way through and and have already recommended. Now I am going back over it in a stepwise fashion.
on 8 February 2015
I would recommend this book to anyone who has suffered the ups and downs of yo-yo dieting, to anyone who feels that food has control over them, to anyone who feels like they are not living their life. This book provides a clear method to reclaim your life, and recover from dysfunctional eating. This is how you lose weight without dieting or making yourself miserable. Not only has this book shown me how to eat normally and break free from the cycle of shame, but it has shown me that happiness with myself and my life is right there for the taking.
on 2 August 2014
Fantastic book, very enlightening. Certainly the best book I have read on over eating. Filled with the latest research it clearly explained to me why I over eat and why eventually all traditional diets fail. CBT for over eating and mindfulness is something I will research further.

*UPDATE* I am now 2 weeks in to the 21 day online program that accompanies this book and I have to say it is changing my life in many ways. Not only have I managed to get control of my eating for the first time since I was 18 years old but the principles of mindfulness and CBT are having a profound effect on all other areas of my life. This book is not a diet program. It is a solution for controlling your eating so in effect you reprogram your brain to think like a thin woman not think like a fat woman. It sounds a bit "mumbo jumbo" but trust me its not! I couldn't recommend the book highly enough for any serial dieters who desperately want to get off that hamster wheel of diet/regain/diet/regain.