Format: Cards|Change

on 4 January 2011
These vampires are sensual and evocative, but there is something about them that calls out the instinctive and wild human being. The human being that can just 'be' rather than acting according to the rules of civilised society. It feels "naughty" (for want of a better word) because it's makes you feel free and natural. A feeling that might be mocked by other counterparts who are still being everything they "should". These cards are the very nature of fantasy, and there is something in Ian Daniels fantasy art cards that reminds us that underneath all the labels and roles there is a very evocative and instinctive human being and this perspective would indeed make for a very therapeutic Tarot reading. I can understand the previous reviewers experience with these cards.

The cards are standard sized with a vague Rider-Waite chassis. They feel very slightly stiffer and glossier compared to other Llewellyn published decks - like the Shadowscapes and Legacy of the Divine. It comes with a paperback back which having skimmed through is well thought out with background on the Tarot' associations with the Kabalistic Tree of Life, alchemy and astrology. I don't agree with the Authors views on Tarot history and origin, or some of his associations with Esoteric doctrine which I feel was lost under colourful language, but for the most part it is very knowledgeable, lyrical and descriptive and I am impressed by it. I love that the Artist has included the astrological associative symbols discretely into scenery and characters of the cards.

The cards come boxed (as usual for Llewellyn), an awful plain white tuck box which has a tear off flap and does not hold the cards tightly at all.
on 3 August 2011
I have been using tarot cards for about 8 years now, and over the years I have become a bit of a collector of decks. Of the decks I have the Mythic Tarot has always been my favourite, closely followed by the Golden Tarot. I bought these (or I should say got someone to buy them for me, as the first thing I was told about tarot is not to buy your own cards) based on the images, which I thought looked beautiful, although I had been a bit skeptical about how good they would be to use. Luckily, I was more than pleasantly surprised when the set arrived. The cards are indeed something to look at, and are also as good quality as any of my other decks. The best bit though, is the companion book which is organised into easy to read sections to help both beginners and experts to fully explore the themes and background to each of the cards. The information is accessible and detailed (and follows the traditional card meanings). I love this deck and have been using it regularly. I would recommend it to anyone who either wants to learn, develop or (like me) add to a collection.
on 12 June 2011
I thought this would be just a hype, But its become one of my favorite Tarots. Its seem to be very accurate and in depth,Only downside is each card can have upto 3 pages explaining the reading,Its Great though
on 7 September 2013
I already had quite a few books illustrated by Ian Daniels i love his artwork and this didn't disappoint .The illustrations are beautiful and well presented. Slightly different naming to minor arcana cards but nothing you couldn't get use to at all when in use . only fault i can find is the box for the book and cards is a bit flimsy and came unglued at side but most people may discard or store this flat anyway . The book looks interesting i have only had a flick through it briefly but it appears to contain a good amount of information and that which i have read seems well thought out and researched .
on 25 July 2011
What you are getting here is a combination of a set of tarot cards illustrated by Mr Ian Daniels along with a book on tarot which serves as a guide to the cards, their significances, relationships and potential role in divination, as well as being a great theoretical grounding in tarot.
My first warning is that this is by no means a "beginner's tarot". There are quite simply too many relationships here for the guide nor the cards for it to be "pick up and play".

Daniels takes an occultists view on the cards and is hugely well informed on the astrological, planetary, mythological, qabalah and alchemical influences present on each card. It is seemingly very influenced by the hermetic order of the golden dawn and its acolytes (such as Crowley) and related victorian and early 20th century occultists, like Dion Fortune. You will get the most from this deck and book if you are already slightly familiar with all these strands of mysticism. If not, it may take you a while to get used to the concepts and I will admit, at times it can be overwhelming in its thoroughness and complexity. Of course this means that, having worked with the cards you will be very aware of each subtle influence that the card suggests is in effect when drawn.
Daniels also has not made it easy by not naming each minor arcana with a single word title- instead, a list of maybe 20 is offered as the cards' "essence", so the book will probably also form a reference guide.
Otherwise the deck itself is beautifully illustrated with seductive and rich vampyre imagery, containing pertinent clues in terms of the narrative in the image, influences of planets and astrological signs and other influences. Bear in mind though that occasionally these are omitted.
I suggest that one picks a tarot deck to work with by focusing on the imagery, calling and religious inclinations of your own soul. To make these clear here, I would say that this is a deck most suitable for those who feel attracted to the spiritual implications of vampyre stories, the gothic in spirituality, who is a non-christian in terms of religion, an occultist or interest in western (and eastern) mysticism and someone of a meditative and experiential approach to their spirituality. People who also don't mind an amount of work as well as intuitive elements to a reading.

In summary: rich, deep and rewarding, but definitely not for absolutely everyone. An enjoyable deck to use and one that has enlightened me quite a lot after uneven progress with Crowley's writing. It has made a lot of sense and combined prior knowledge, and stands me in very good stead for further learning.
on 28 June 2016
As I collector and professional reader, I tend to go for Pagan, Witchy, Fairy, earthy Tarot cards.. I can find even the Rider Waite a bit too cut n dry .. not much therapeutic healing going on there… so I surprised myself by clicking 'buy' button on this unfailingly marvellous Tarot deck. I have never been into goth or blood, yet these cards are beautifully mastered, with sensual feeling and evocative direction. They are not
gruesome.. and the accompanying book is probably the best book I have ever read on Tarot (and I have shelves). The depth that the author has gone into, yet with such ease of writing, is nothing short of superb. Truly, I may not use these professionally, (as the delicately despairing, dripping blood maidens may alarm a few people) but they are the most fantastic deck for personal growth, Jungian Shadow work and clarity. Enjoy!
on 4 March 2014
Cant praise these enough they are the most beautiful tarot deck I've ever seen and every single person who has seen them has commented on them
on 4 November 2015
Artwork is incredible! The detail on every card is beautiful
The book which is with it is so interesting too. Excellent buy.
on 24 February 2016
Good quality product well illustrated, but they failed to connect with me.
on 30 May 2016
The images on this deck are stunning. The companion is the best companion book I've ever read, extremely detailed and descriptive. Such a beautiful product suited for deep and insightful readings