Format: Cards|Change

on 17 December 1998
Though this is not a new deck, it was recently brought to my attention. Tarot of the Orishas is a delightful blend of Yoruban magick now known as Santería, Umbanda, Butuque and Candomblé. The vast majority of tarot decks have traditionally ignored or failed to include non-Europeans in their images. This deck focuses on African and Caribbean elements. One of the things I like the best about this deck is that it is written in both English and Spanish. Another interesting feature of the deck is that there are no Royalty cards. Instead, there is a card representing each element, a message from each element, and an elemental (Undines=water, etc.). I found this deck to be very a very freeing experience psychically as well as a means for increasing my understanding Yoruban based magickal practices. I particularly loved the explanation about the different forms of African magick and discussion about the differences from the more notorious Voudoo traditions. The traditions this deck portrays, according to the author are adamantly opposed to black or negative magick, in contrast to Voudoo. I found the historical presentation to be fascinating, particularly because I had been unaware that some of these traditions include a reverence for Native American ancestors as well as the spirits of black slaves. The images are raw, primal and powerful. I have used them several times with clients and have had impressive results. The imagery made me feel like I was unleashing my receptive subconscious, allowing the words to spill from my mouth without filtering them. The result was that I was able to speak about things that were deeper in my psyche and may not have come to my attention as easily. I would recommend this deck to anyone who feels they may have difficulty opening to their psychic awareness.
on 10 March 2009
I bought this product some years back but hardly explored it. Primarily I was put off by the images. It is true that it's indeed rare to see non-europeans represented in this genre; however the depictions in this pack might as well be european, as the feature characteristics do not look at all representative of African people. Maybe this wouldn't be noticeable to some people, but needless to say I was disappointed, as this was an important element in why I chose the 'Tarot of the Orishas' in the first place; thinking that at last to have found a resource that was representative in all ways, it wasn't. By comparison, the Black Angel Card deck, created by Earthlyn Marselean Manuel has far more representative images in a way that can be easily recognised by most people.
on 27 July 1999
WOW.... i bought this deck to help a friend, since i thoought it might 'connect' better with her beliefs; instead i was blown away by the deck itself. the symbolism is very powerful. reading the cards was easier than with any new deck before... i think an advantage to the very different illustrations is that i didnt have a preconcieved idea of what the cards meant, and could draw from the imagery more directly. the book is very helpful, although it took me a while to get used to the bi-lingual explanations.