on 10 October 2012
The story grabs you right from the outset. It is fast paced and enjoyable. It is written in the style of Star Trek/Star Wars that lets you feel for the characters without getting swamped with the technology. I was tempted to only give it 3 stars due to occasional problems with formatting on my Kindle - very small font throughout and occasional page throws - these could be got around easily, but did distract me from the story itself.
Nevertheless, it kept my attention and was well worth reading.
on 3 June 2013
I would suggest reading this as it includes the material from the tattooed man but is a longer and more compete story. As far as I can see, nothing directly to do with main "far from home" serioes, apart from being set in an early period. Enjoyable read though and I'm looking forward to more of them (though will wait to buy "collections" rather than individual stories which are far far too short).
on 6 July 2012
The Stars My Redemption is loads of fun and reads at a blistering pace. Abe is a bitterly cynical man who gave up believing in the value of life a long time ago. He's a galactic criminal who wanders from score to score leaving a bloody trail of human and alien carcasses, but there's a stubborn crumb of humanity left inside of him. This is the story of how he rediscovers that lost part of himself and what he decides to do about it.
The book is more vintage pulp than contemporary hard science fiction. There are no paragraphs explaining how the technology works, but there is foul language, a little sex, and a lot of violence. The action sequences remind me of Robert E. Howard. Abe would fit in well with Conan the Barbarian and Solomon Kane.
on 21 May 2012
As this book's editor, I've read it maybe four or five times in various incarnations. I've grown very attached to it, to its characters, to the story. Abe/Frank/Redd has evolved so much since that first draft, since its first publications in bits and pieces, first as short stories, then as a serial that never quite got done.

It's a fun romp in a refined British-style pulp with characters who are easy to like. Tony's ear for dialogue is terrific, offering an unrefined, rough around the edges feel to an antihero whom you can't decide whether to love or hate.

Even before Tony chose me to edit this book for him, I had grown attached to his main character, so it is with the most basic honesty and zero guilt I not only recommend this read, but label it with five stars. It deserves every one of them.
on 18 February 2013
I found this book very disappointing. It started off well and then became somewhat trite and superficial - unconvincing. On this basis I would not want to continue reading this series.
on 25 August 2013
nice to read the story line is very good could not put it down untill i got to the end,well done tony,lets have some more soon.
on 4 January 2014
A much more adult story but still a good read. The characters are well described and the story intriguing. Good stuff.
on 4 August 2015
Great the (far from home) series are a must to read. The series are some of the best scif books I have read.
on 8 May 2013
A good series to get into, well written and worth getting into and sticking with. I recommend you try it.
on 12 July 2014