on 3 August 2011
This series of books does in my opinion set Richard Lee Byers up there with RA Salvatore, Ed Greenwood and Elaine Cunningham. It is back to the good old fashioned format of Forgotten realms being a place of magic mystery and monsters.

There are new characters in this series, plus some old characters resurfacing (from the Dragon Rage series and also from the Undead series) and lots of twists and turns that kept me enthralled from the start of book 1 to the end of book 3.

It is best to read all three novels together as there are quite a few story lines all running in parallel, which works mostly for me, but if I had a criticism, its that it does get slightly confusing in a couple of places when there are story lines in different parts of the region with different characters all coming together later. Saying that, it does work and is necessary to the story line, it just gets a little confusing.

I absolutely loved this series of books, and think that R Byers is now one of my top list of FR writers. I particularly like the fact that there is a lot of magic thrown back into the storyline, which has been absent following the spell plague plot lines, and it is refreshing to get back to what I think is FR basics.