VINE VOICEon 19 September 2013
I have enjoyed most of the books in Mr Nuttall's Empire Corps series and while I did enjoy To The Shores I found that there are aspects of his books I do not like.

First the good.

As always it is fast paced adventure, this time a classic siege and rescue storey with lost of in a "will they won't they" moments. Goodies who are really good and baddies who are really bad in the best traditions of Saturday morning kids picture shows.

Now the not so good.

Mr Nuttall seems to be developing a Rape fetish that I find a little unhealthy. The subject seems to crop up on far more pages than I feel the stories need.

We are given to believe that the fallen "Empire" has taken some where between 3 and 5 Thousand years to colonise the Galaxy. so how come they are still using bullet firing rifles, RPG's, IED's, tracked tanks, and helicopters.

Also the political lectures that we are subject to at the head of each chapter and at the end do not endear me to the author or his politics.

No this series is going down hill and needs to have a bit of a rethink. Three stars is generous.
on 7 September 2013
I continue to be impressed by Mr Nuttalls stories, in particular the Empires Corps series. This book is again different to those that have gone before it and provides the reader with a great reunion with Stalkers Stalkers. He has no trouble making the stories exciting and interesting. Once again Mr Nuttall concentrates on the characters instead of techno babble. He uses references to our real world and tells the story in a way that the reader can relate to, making it all the more gripping as you can fully immerse yourself into the book. There were a couple of little bits I found not to my personal liking, such as the references by Leo to 20th/21st century conflicts which most people even now have trouble recalling let alone several thousand years in the future, but I will not dwell on it here as it is a purely personal thought and has no bearing on the way the story is told or its quality, (I do however understand Mr Nuttalls reasons for using the references...)I was somewhat shocked to have my favourite character killed off, but it goes to show that Mr Nuttall isn't afraid to take chances with the stories he writes. Please keep it going I really enjoy this series.
on 15 August 2014
Woof, oh gosh. Just finished book six. Read part to my attack ferret but, despite years of training and having completed many a hazardous mission up trouser legs, he had a bit of a breakdown. I am told he will spend years in psychotherapy. I might be joining him. The book, ah yes, the book. Hard, well written, characters to loath, love, hate and everything between. It carries the story ever onward as humans show all the very worst qualities and then some. Some of these could be based on politician, dentists, lawyers. It is thoroughly sickening and you end up hoping the good guys win. Will they? I'll have to find out I suppose. For now, three woofs on the new revised helical scale. I'm going to take a bag of doggy biscuits and eat them on my masters bed. Woof woof.
on 31 August 2013
Another must read in the Empire Corps saga. The Terran Marines reinvented with each book as the years pass and the death of the Empire becomes apparent
on 2 November 2015
A return to the story line of books, but extending into a new area - going beyond Avalon to establish diplomatic links. I found this story line more contrived than others in the series, especially in respect to the choice of planet for diplomatic consultations. I'm also not sure how much I like this author's moving from one story line to another in a series (book 5 and book 3 deal with completely different stories), but I shall see how the series develops.
on 15 January 2014
I have enjoyed reading "The Empire's Corps" series, and this latest one didn't disappoint. The only part that surprised me was that the reader didn't get more information about the "Wolfbane" system that Stalker was going to negotiate with. Especially if you had read "Reality Check" first.
A very good read with at least two books that should be in the pipeline from the endings.
on 4 January 2015
I have not yet fond one of Christopher Nuttall,s books bad as they are all great. It is good that all the Empire books flo one from an other and you don't lose the story line. You mite think you have lost the story line but you will not as all the different stores come together.
on 24 October 2014
Nuttall's books are essentially commentaries on real life current events disguised as military science fiction.

This makes the relevant and thought provoking.

At the same time the pacing is great and they are fun to read.

Great combination!
on 14 August 2015
Back to the tried and tested, ground warfare model. A direct condemnation of the CAST system with an enlightning explanation of how it exits.

You need to read this for the later books I suspect but it doesn't seem to develop the story-line much
on 19 October 2013
I find all of this series enjoyable, though I'm not a huge fan of the many pages at the end of the books I dare say it works for some people ... Me I enjoy the story line and his overall style.