on 23 July 2013
I had a copy of this book when living in Japan many years ago, but I lost it somewhere in my world travels.
Spotting it on Amazon, I immediately treated myself to a replacement and was not disappointed. The plot built around obsessive revenge is gripping from start to finish and the author's descriptive powers when dealing with the sea-borne action scenes are outstanding. The determination of the main character to achieve his objectives despite daunting obstacles with every man's hand and nature against him comes through on every page.
on 12 April 2011
The storyline is simple - almost corny - a huge vessel the Leviathan destroys a small yacht, the Siren, but the captain and owners of the Leviathan refuse to even accept what has happened. The skipper of the yacht, Peter Hardin determines to revenge the loss of his wife Carolyn, who died in the accident. However there is nothing simple or corny about the novel which follows - a roller coaster, on the edge of your seat 400+ pages, packed with excitement and suspense and posing questions as relevant today as they were when the book was written (30+ years ago). It's an absolute tragedy that this book has not become a classic and is now out of print.
on 24 March 2013
Like other reviewers this is a book I keep re-reading every couple of years. It really should be a classic thriller... indeed amongst those of us who sail it is! Indeed my first copy was lent to a fellow yachtsman and didnt come back! I now have two copies... one at home and one onboard.
on 3 January 2012
Tears ago I bought this novel, couldn't put it down and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then stupidly loaned it to a friend..
Now I'd love to re-read it and find it's out of print.
Wake up publishers, this is a great book, I'm not the first to call, let's have a re-print or at least make it available on Kindle.
on 30 July 2010
I have owned various copies of this book for 20 years, I have read it so many times that I have lost count. For me it has everything a good read needs, of course it was a #1 Bestseller. My copy was held together with tape so I obtained one from Amazon and then ,just today, I walked into a charity shop and found a hardback original with dust jacket. better than a lottery win to me.
on 18 June 2012
I first read this book when it was originally released and loved it. The discriptive narrative holds the reader spellbound.
I read the book a few times and unfortunately lost my copy. I couldn't believe my luck, finding it on Amazon. It is second hand but looks like its almost new. I have started to read it again and am at once lost in Peter Hardings world.
I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a truely riveting thriller
on 26 February 2013
Great book, intriguing story line. You can smell the sea salt and feel the cold as you read. Desperate for a replacement for a re-read. Even a Kindle edition would do!
on 13 October 2015
I have read this fantastic book before and wanted to read it again. Every page grips you. Hard to put down.just brilliant
on 21 August 2009
This is a thrilling novel written by one of the best authors around! (See the new Clive Cussler/Justin Scott novel!)
on 26 August 2015
Brilliant book - should be made into a film. Come on James Cameron.